Author Topic: Firefighters battle blaze at edge of Los Alamos nuclear complex  (Read 218 times)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!

LOS ALAMOS, N.M. — Firefighters struggled early Tuesday to hold back a fierce blaze roaring out of control at the edge of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, a sprawling nuclear weapons complex that includes a plutonium facility.

Flames licked all day at the boundary of the laboratory site, home to the nation's largest supply of nuclear weapons, as fire crews scurried to douse spot fires carried onto the grounds by winds from the leading edge of the blaze.

The laboratory was shut down, and the adjacent town of Los Alamos, home to about 12,000 people, was placed under a mandatory evacuation earlier.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43558540/ns/weather/

:o

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline namvet

Re: Firefighters battle blaze at edge of Los Alamos nuclear complex
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
the anti nukers ain't gonna like this

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline CG6468

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »
Ever been to Los Alamos? I was less than impressed.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:19 AM »
Sorry, but while this fire has burned more acreage, the Cerro Grande fire back in 2000 did far more damage.

I have a few HS classmates who live in the area and a few who work on site.  They tell me it's bad, but by no means the worst they've seen.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford