Author Topic: Richard Nixon's speech writer makes a stupid movie...  (Read 24394 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Richard Nixon's speech writer makes a stupid movie...
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2008, 01:54:37 PM »

See this is the thing that bothers me most. It's as if you're choosing what to include in your "science". If it doesn't fit or can't be answered by your theory you simply ignore it. It IS important because SOMETHING had to start the whole evolutionary ball rolling. If I'm to believe there was nothing and then there was SOMETHING...that something just randomly made the entire universe, including planet earth, plopped some single cell "something" into a conveniently located ocean, which divided and eventual hopped out of the ocean started breathing air so that we could all sit here and be lectured and condescended to by people who seem to believe they're more evolved than the rest of us then by God how we got here matters. What begain this process IS important and would seem to be a key to understanding the whole thing be it ID or evolution. Heck, it might even help evolutionists explain HOW one species could become a completely new species.
Well, you would be wrong.  Do you require astronomers and physicists to describe the beginnings of the Universe?  Do you require chemists to describe the first chemical reaction?  You don't get to put an extra onus on TToE because you don't like its conclusions.  And speciation is a very simple process. We have observed it.  Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you get to toss all kinds of baggage on what it must do or not do.  TToE stands next to all sciences and is evaluated and extended the same way as all of them.

Not that abiogenesis is not a valid subject of exploration -- it just isn't a requirement for TToE.

But evolution has it's problems, too. The lack of fossil record (and if the whole thing is so random why don't we have humans-to-be with noses on their foreheads or something) is extremely suspect to me.
Over a billion fossils isn't enough for you?  How many do you want?

So is the inability of evolutionists to explain the Cambrian Era.

Ah the old "Cambian Explosiion" canard.  I'll tell you what -- describe the length of time and why it isn't possible.  10 to 40 million years is more than enough time to see the very, very low-level phyla determined to be from that era.

All the "major" evidence from Piltdown man to those horse embryos (peer reviewed, by the way) have turned out to be fakes.
No they haven't.  And it was science itself which ferreted out the fakers (something religion is incapable of doing).  There have been a handful of fakes, but most data which support TToE are quite intact.  Remember we are talking about billions of artifacts.  Does the fact that Cold Fusion was unreproducible invalidate physics?

You are having discussion with people who you otherwise consider intelligent, thoughtful human beings and you're being arrogant and angry, filled with the same kind of stubborn messianic zeal you seem to be accusing ID proponents of having, even toward people who are asking legitimate questions in a quest for greater understanding (maybe you need to evolve a little more, huh?) I don't have your high-minded scientific knowledge, but I DO have common sense which allows me to discern whether something is plausible or not.

So, what are your thoughts on Nash's writings? How about 3VL vs 2VL? How about cDNA publication?  Do they properly reflect PCRs and STSs?

My point is that people think because they have an opinion about a subject with absolutely (or nearly) zero knowledge somehow think their opinion has heft.  I "messianic" because I fear for the next generation who will think "well, if I have an opinion it has scientific weight." 

I have no problem debating with people who have informed opinions.  Uninformed opinions are just that.  Yet we have people trying to influence public policy armed with nothing more than Bibles and ignorance.

I have posted many links and statements that clearly define what TToE is and how it fits into the hard science milieu. I have also made it clear how ID and religion not only are NOt science but can NEVER be science.

The quest for further understanding beyond what is measurable is all well and good -- in a philosophical context. Not a scientific one.

As I will continue to say -- ignorance (especially willful) is NOT a Conservative Value.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2008, 01:56:21 PM »
The fact that science cannot yet explain the origin of life does not make the idea that God created it any more plausible than the once widely held belief that God controls the weather.

Nor does it make it any less plausable.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2008, 01:57:41 PM »
The Universe is orderly, which implies some form of intelligence. 

Order in the Universe does not prove that the Universe was designed because order comes from chaos...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorem_on_friends_and_strangers

And, even the unlikely is likely in a chaotic universe...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/30/opinion/30strogatz.html?ex=1364616000&en=96af12bdef4456f7&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

:naughty:

It's true! It's true because Wiki and the NYT says so.
Both are just OPINIONS based on ZERO scientific facts.
Next?

I OTOH have not quoted a single Wiki source.  I don't trust it as a source, but I sometimes use it as a jumping off point to find sources.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
The fact that science cannot yet explain the origin of life does not make the idea that God created it any more plausible than the once widely held belief that God controls the weather.

doc
That is why I keep my discussion in the realm of science.  I believe in God and I believe He has a plan that I cannot discern. But I also believe He designed this unbelievable incredible Universe (and maybe others) and gave it rules and then gave Man the ability to discern and use those rules.  God is not a trickster.  He wouldn't pull the football out from under us when we get close to a major breakthrough such as the very much sought after Theory Of Everything.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »

doc

I disagree.  The probability that deficiences in knowledge are the reason why science can't explain certain things is far higher than the probability that God is the explanation for what science can't explain.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:11:53 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
I disagree. The probability that God is the explanation for something science can't explain is far lower than the probability that the failures of science are due to insufficient knowledge and understanding.

Logical falicy....grow up.......

doc

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »

doc

What is illogical about what I wrote?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »
I disagree. The probability that God is the explanation for something science can't explain is far lower than the probability that the failures of science are due to insufficient knowledge and understanding.

doc

It's really not relevant to the discussion at hand.  The probability of God influencing anything is infinity, since He is, by definition, infinite.  But the applicability to science is zero for the converse reason.  Unless it can be measured it can't be applied. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
I'm not going to be goaded into  the discussion of ToE/ID, as I come from a scientific background, and am intimately aware of both the intellectual deficiencies/politics inherent in much of "science" today.

Suffice it to say that in physics, which is my field, there is much that is accepted as "fact", or perhaps I should say "settled science", that will not stand much scrutiny in this time of rapid expansion of understanding.

Additionally, I just can't resist tweaking TNO on occasion, as he/she/it pretty much constitutes what we, in academia, used to generally categorize as a "fuzzy thinker"......

doc

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »
So, what are your thoughts on Nash's writings? How about 3VL vs 2VL? How about cDNA publication?  Do they properly reflect PCRs and STSs?

My point is that people think because they have an opinion about a subject with absolutely (or nearly) zero knowledge somehow think their opinion has heft.  I "messianic" because I fear for the next generation who will think "well, if I have an opinion it has scientific weight."  

I have no problem debating with people who have informed opinions.  Uninformed opinions are just that.  Yet we have people trying to influence public policy armed with nothing more than Bibles and ignorance.

I have posted many links and statements that clearly define what TToE is and how it fits into the hard science milieu. I have also made it clear how ID and religion not only are NOt science but can NEVER be science.

The quest for further understanding beyond what is measurable is all well and good -- in a philosophical context. Not a scientific one.

As I will continue to say -- ignorance (especially willful) is NOT a Conservative Value.

Actually, I never said what I think. All I did was express some concerns I had. You made the leap and assumed I deny evolution. It's an interesting dichotomy ID and evolution but it doesn't consume me from day to day. When we were homeschooling we studied both evolution and ID (my son decided ID made more sense, but I see merits in both). I just find more "preachers" on the evolution side than on the ID side, which is rather interesting if you think about it. I do know there's a great many physicists, astronomers, etc. more intelligent than you and I could ever hope to be that are proponents of ID so I guess not all you smart folks believe evolution.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2008, 02:31:26 PM »
Additionally, I just can't resist tweaking TNO on occasion, as he/she/it pretty much constitutes what we, in academia, used to generally categorize as a "fuzzy thinker"......

doc

Feel free to explain exactly what you think I'm fuzzy on.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »
I'm not going to be goaded into  the discussion of ToE/ID, as I come from a scientific background, and am intimately aware of both the intellectual deficiencies/politics inherent in much of "science" today.

Suffice it to say that in physics, which is my field, there is much that is accepted as "fact", or perhaps I should say "settled science", that will not stand much scrutiny in this time of rapid expansion of understanding.

doc

LOL -- I like to do that also. It is pretty easy.  But this time he is on the "right" side so I had to defend him.

I know about the uncertainty of physics (and so many other things) -- but as long as we follow the methods and keep substitutions in the physical realm, I think all will be good.

I have had several note that scientific moribundity is a very real phenomenon.  And I know that is true. But it will never come to pass that any scientific discipline accepts "OK, the Intelligent Designer stepped in here."

Unless we are introduced to said designer.  In RL, not spiritually.  If that happens, I hope he (she?) isn't as spoiled as The Q.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
So, what are your thoughts on Nash's writings? How about 3VL vs 2VL? How about cDNA publication?  Do they properly reflect PCRs and STSs?

My point is that people think because they have an opinion about a subject with absolutely (or nearly) zero knowledge somehow think their opinion has heft.  I "messianic" because I fear for the next generation who will think "well, if I have an opinion it has scientific weight." 

I have no problem debating with people who have informed opinions.  Uninformed opinions are just that.  Yet we have people trying to influence public policy armed with nothing more than Bibles and ignorance.

Actually, I never said what I think. All I did was express some concerns I had. You made the leap and assumed I deny evolution. It's an interesting dichotomy ID and evolution but it doesn't consume me from day to day. When we were homeschooling we studied both evolution and ID (my son decided ID made more sense, but I see merits in both). I just find more "preachers" on the evolution side than on the ID side, which is rather interesting if you think about it. I do know there's a great many physicists, astronomers, etc. more intelligent than you and I could ever hope to be that are proponents of ID so I guess not all you smart folks believe evolution.

Cindie

There are a tiny, tiny, tiny number of scientists (and almost zero in the Life Sciences) who believe in ID.  Whether they are more intelligent than me is irrelevant.

I ask you to provide a single peer-reviewed article that shows how ID has any applicability.  How can it be used to further human knowledge?  How can it be applied in the lab?  How dos one plug ID into a Scientific Theory?

Teaching ID alongside TToE is like teaching astrology alongside astronomy.  ID belongs with theology and philosophy (note, I do admit it has a place in academia).

Offline Chris_

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »

Feel free to explain exactly what you think I'm fuzzy on.

It would be a waste of my time......

doc

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »

Cindie

Feel free to point out what gives you the idea that "a great many" scientists are proponents of ID.

Did you know that one the lead proponents of ID was forced to admit to a court that his definition of theory is so broad that it would have to include astrology? It's true...

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8178

Ouch!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:44:31 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »

doc

Yes. Attempting to show that religious explanations of phenomena are no less plausible than scientific explanations of phenomena is a waste of time, but not for the reason you think.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »
[
Yes. Attempting to show that religious explanations of phenomena are no less plausible than scientific explanations of phenomena is a waste of time, but not for the reason you think.

Now you purport to know what I think......you are a waste of time.......as I suggested upthread....grow up, then get back to us....

doc

Offline Chris_

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2008, 02:48:43 PM »

doc

You should have read his prior responses to me.  No reason to wade into the mud if some tells you there is a puddle there...

You're getting killed here, sonny, and I can't save you this time.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »
HA!
TNO defending the "factual" and "cultural" aspects of Michale Moore and Spurlock.

One thing for certain - no one has ever accused TNO or his leftist lemmings of having any intelligence.

Intellectual lightweights are that way...

What sort of process goes in your mind that causes you to interpret my statement that I'm not a fan of Michael Moore to be a defense of Michael Moore?

Some things go without saying. Especially when liberals are concerned. Your hero's were mentioned in your OP. In fact, the OP used your mentors as a comparison to the subject of the OP.
Get it?
Or is it true - you are an intellectual lightweight?

Never mind, I already know the answer.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »
Now you purport to know what I think......you are a waste of time.......as I suggested upthread....grow up, then get back to us....

doc

Considering that you refused to explain your thinking every time I asked you to, I am left with no choice but to form my own interpretation of your posts.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »
This is what humors me:

I ask about abiogenesis--and actually a bit more when the other 2 of my 3 questions related specifically to adaptation--and I'm told that a naturalistic materialist explanation to abiogensis is irrelevant to the discussion of naturalistic materialist evolution and just because science can't explain it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Yet when you ask these same people about their anti-theism they'll tell you absence of evidence is evidence of absence (assuming they even care to make a legitimate inquiry in the first place); in other words they want proof before they will believe/accept (inquire?).

This much I do know: grab 100 atheists, throw them to the floor and put a knife to their throats and without exception they will beg for Justice and Mercy...but mostly Mercy.

They day y'all can throw away immaterial notions of Justice and Mercy while making only such claims about naturalistic materialism as can be supported by verifiable, testable and falsifiable assertions is the day I will admit evolution is more than just so much emotionally driven hypocrisy.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2008, 04:14:01 PM »
Some things go without saying. Especially when liberals are concerned. Your hero's were mentioned in your OP. In fact, the OP used your mentors as a comparison to the subject of the OP.

Get it?

Yes, I get it, but you clearly do not. Frank Scheck's statement that Expelled makes Michael Moore's work seem scholarly implies that Michael Moore's work is not scholarly and that only a film as stupid as Expelled can make it seem scholarly.

Feel free to Hi-five me as an apology.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:18:05 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2008, 04:16:30 PM »
This much I do know: grab 100 atheists, throw them to the floor and put a knife to their throats and without exception they will beg for Justice and Mercy...but mostly Mercy.

They day y'all can throw away immaterial notions of Justice and Mercy while making only such claims about naturalistic materialism as can be supported by verifiable, testable and falsifiable assertions is the day I will admit evolution is more than just so much emotionally driven hypocrisy.

Okay... I'm lost. Exactly what is hypocritical about an atheist asking for mercy?
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2008, 04:22:56 PM »
Yet when you ask these same people about their anti-theism they'll tell you absence of evidence is evidence of absence (assuming they even care to make a legitimate inquiry in the first place); in other words they want proof before they will believe/accept (inquire?)

Absence of evidence often is evidence of absence. For instance, if you were to tell me that you can fly by flapping your arms but provide no evidence that you can fly by flapping your arms, the most reasonable assumption I could make based on your failure to provide evidence that you can fly by flapping your arms is to assume that you can't. So, yes... absence of evidence can be evidence of absence. What absence of evidence is not is proof of anything.

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2008, 04:23:27 PM »
This is what humors me:

I ask about abiogenesis--and actually a bit more when the other 2 of my 3 questions related specifically to adaptation--and I'm told that a naturalistic materialist explanation to abiogensis is irrelevant to the discussion of naturalistic materialist evolution and just because science can't explain it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
That isn't what I said at all.  Science has a pretty solid theory on abiogensis bit it isn't relevant.  Light comes in waves and moves in particles.  There is a theory about the nature of light.  But you don't need to know when light came into existence to formulate theories about light nor apply it to solve problems.  You create a false parallel by blithely using the same clause back to back.  Clever but not science.

Yet when you ask these same people about their anti-theism they'll tell you absence of evidence is evidence of absence (assuming they even care to make a legitimate inquiry in the first place); in other words they want proof before they will believe/accept (inquire?).
Introduce me to the Intelligent Designer in RL and show how ID can be applied to a single practical problem.  I await your response to THIS one with baited breath.

I am not an atheist (nor are most scientists) -- so how does this non sequiter play?

To begin with, Justice and Mercy are not unique to theists.  And you are mixing domains. Justice and Mercy are part of philosophy and theology.  How would you apply Justice and Mercy to drug formulation?  At what point in the process would you put them in?  How do you weigh them and measure them?  How do you predict the outcome of a physical process that uses Justice and Mercy versus one that does not?  What instruments do you use to make that comparison?

Science is designed to explain and use the physical, material world.  It makes no statement about the meaning of the human soul.

Philosophy is where you take the measure of things such as Justice and Mercy.