Author Topic: Joplin, MO Pounded By Tornados  (Read 26110 times)

Offline CG6468

Re: Joplin, MO Pounded By Tornados
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 09:28:07 AM »
Joplin is our favorite place to overnight on our trips back from Tucson.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 09:33:44 AM »
'Large' is relative, marv.  Please don't go around asking all the people over 6' tall if they're straight or not.
Correct. Sometimes two is large, and 100 is small. I don't know about a gay community in Joplin, but I'm happy there isn't one in Shell Knob. Two would be very large here. BTW, I'm 6'1"...........and straight!
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »
Called my dad in Crane this morning.  He said they had a funnel cloud go right over there house but they are ok.  My brothers in; Crane, Nixa, Republic and New Madry are all good too.  Thank God.

Dad said ALL of them were seeking shelter at some point.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011, 11:00:44 AM »
Called my dad in Crane this morning.  He said they had a funnel cloud go right over there house but they are ok.  My brothers in; Crane, Nixa, Republic and New Madry are all good too.  Thank God.

Dad said ALL of them were seeking shelter at some point.

KC
Crane, Nixa, Republic and Nixa are all north of Shell Knob, but on the way to Springfield near or on 60hwy. Glad your kin are all safe, and have no damage.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »
Here's an update - 11:35 cdt, Monday

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/49984/wild-weather-leaves-trail-of-d.asp

More Severe Weather Expected Today

The area will have little time to clean up as another round of severe weather is expected again today.

A complex of severe thunderstorms tracked across Joplin and southwestern Missouri this morning producing gusty winds and hail.

Hail, 1 inch in diameter, was reported in the vicinity of Joplin Municipal Airport along with wind gusts to 36 mph.

Additional thunderstorms will develop this afternoon across the southern Plains, potentially affecting the Joplin area again.

Torrential downpours and frequent lightning associated with these thunderstorms will interfere with cleanup efforts. Localized flash flooding is likely as the ground is already saturated due to above-normal rainfall the last two months.

High winds could cause additional damage and may topple cranes which are in the city helping with the cleanup.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »
It is horrible.  The more I read about it and see about it the worse it becomes.

Prayers up for all those affected by these storms.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
applegrove  (1000+ posts)      Sun May-22-11 10:40 PM
Response to Original message
18. National Guard just sent out. Thank god W. Bush is no longer in control.

The President doesn't mobilize state National Guard Units for emergencies inside of the state, DUmbass.

Gov. Jay Nixon mobilized the Missouri National Guard after tornados ripped through Joplin, Mo., according to the Carthage (Mo.) Press.
http://www.sooeveningnews.com/news/business/x31870056/Missouri-National-Guard-mobilized-to-help-Joplin-Mo

Frikkin' idiot...
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Several reports of looting in eastern Joplin.  Way to stay classy, guys. ::)

Are you and your wife okay?  Do you guys live in that area at all?  When I heard Missouri, I thought of you guys but wasn't sure where you lived.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »
Are you and your wife okay?  Do you guys live in that area at all?  When I heard Missouri, I thought of you guys but wasn't sure where you lived.

I do not live in the Joplin area. Joplin is in the SW corner of the state; I and Mrs E live up in the north-central part.

Yesterday we did have a tornado touch down about 50 or so miles east of us, but there were no reports of damage or injuries.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

Yes, we're fine.  We live east of the affected area.  A pretty somber day at work, with many people unable to verify if loved ones were still alive.

Offline namvet

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 08:00:55 PM »

st john's hospital. first close up ive seen. every window blown out. 4 patients died. so far 116 dead. Fox claims this is the nation's deadliest twister since 1953

Joplin is stright south of me. not to far from the ARK border. and close to the KS line.

I found these 5 youtube's from local TV

link

so far the Chiefs and Royals have donated each 35 grand. god almighty what a helleva mess

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 08:34:40 PM »
facebook link

Family is looking for their 15 month old baby, mom and dad in the hospital but baby is too young to say his name.  Even if he has been found, they can't just call around to hospitals to check.  So horrible!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:37:28 PM by MrsSmith »

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline namvet

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 08:42:47 PM »
gotta be bad if the MSM is camped there.

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 08:51:19 PM »
facebook link

Family is looking for their 15 month old baby, mom and dad in the hospital but baby is too young to say his name.  Even if he has been found, they can't just call around to hospitals to check.  So horrible!!

Oh Dear Lord.   :bawl:  I can't even imagine the pain those parent's are in wondering.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
Oh Dear Lord.   :bawl:  I can't even imagine the pain those parent's are in wondering.
The comments keep telling them that a lot of kids were taken to Childrens Mercy in Kansas City...as though they can just check out and go looking.  I would be absolutely frantic. 

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 08:59:54 PM »
The comments keep telling them that a lot of kids were taken to Childrens Mercy in Kansas City...as though they can just check out and go looking.  I would be absolutely frantic. 

I would be crawling to that hospital with broken legs.  Seriously, my momma tiger would come out. 

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 09:16:45 PM »
I would be crawling to that hospital with broken legs.  Seriously, my momma tiger would come out. 
Or I would be having someone that knew my child checking hospitals everywhere. 

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 10:05:20 PM »
Or I would be having someone that knew my child checking hospitals everywhere. 

Can you even imagine the amount of checking they'll have to do on the people claiming the kids? They'd have to be very careful that no one in effect kidnapped a kid.

The hurricanes here in Florida are bad, but at least you get a warning. I've had 3 trees (total) fall on the last 2 houses I had in the St Louis area. One time a greyhound of mine who never would go down steps took one look out the window, heard those tornado sirens howling, and high tailed it down those steps to the basement. He had always refused to go down before. I guess even the animals know when something really bad might hit.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
God bless them.

From what I've seen, Joplin no longer exists.

How about we take all that money slated for aid to Pakistan and instead pour it into Joplin?

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 10:25:30 PM »
^ Heartfult, and I agree, but wishful thinking.

facebook link

Dear Lord, that is absolutely devastating just to see as a FB link. Cannot even imgine how the parents feel. Here's hoping their baby is safe in their arms once more.

And Good going KC Chiefs. I knew I liked them!!

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:47 PM »
The Chiefs and Royals kicked in $35k each, and I think the Cardinals added $25k. I haven't heard anything about the Rams, but I suspect they will contribute, too. So many local volunteers are showing up that they have to be turned away.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 03:45:33 AM »
The Chiefs and Royals kicked in $35k each, and I think the Cardinals added $25k. I haven't heard anything about the Rams, but I suspect they will contribute, too. So many local volunteers are showing up that they have to be turned away.

Some of us got to talking about the horror and someone { male} piped up with a good question.

We Americans have never seen a full out war State Side since the Civil War---------Had this been an enemy attack and not a natural disaster what would have been the difference to the lives of the people in that area.

Can anyone other then our service men that have seen action in the ME  or Europe WW2 comprehend what would come next. ????

According to the male had this been a terrorist bomb, non nuclear, With in 3 hours a band of 200 terrorists could have come in with guns blazing and wiped out most of the survivors.

His major problem is when those terrorists get a clue on our weather and just wait for a time to do their worse.   

I have to admit I have thought of what a difference in causality's there would have been had the 9/11
terrorists struck in the freezing cold of the deep winter.

I do not know who this writer is but for the last couple years he has brought up this scenario to some of us, lessons on how Russia and their horrid winters protected them from invasion going back to Napoleon
and the Gemans.   How the German winters slowed us down due to the cold and head high snowbanks.

Looking at Joplin and the devastation caused by nature, to try to imagine even worse to come for survivors of a natural disaster, earth quakes, fires out of controll, hurricanes and floods, and the tornado's, sooner or later the terrorists will take advantage of mother nature to do their worse.

Question here, can anyone give me a good come back to this guy or is he right on the money????

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »
Some of us got to talking about the horror and someone { male} piped up with a good question.

We Americans have never seen a full out war State Side since the Civil War---------Had this been an enemy attack and not a natural disaster what would have been the difference to the lives of the people in that area.

Can anyone other then our service men that have seen action in the ME  or Europe WW2 comprehend what would come next. ????

According to the male had this been a terrorist bomb, non nuclear, With in 3 hours a band of 200 terrorists could have come in with guns blazing and wiped out most of the survivors.

His major problem is when those terrorists get a clue on our weather and just wait for a time to do their worse.   

I have to admit I have thought of what a difference in causality's there would have been had the 9/11
terrorists struck in the freezing cold of the deep winter.

I do not know who this writer is but for the last couple years he has brought up this scenario to some of us, lessons on how Russia and their horrid winters protected them from invasion going back to Napoleon
and the Gemans.   How the German winters slowed us down due to the cold and head high snowbanks.

Looking at Joplin and the devastation caused by nature, to try to imagine even worse to come for survivors of a natural disaster, earth quakes, fires out of controll, hurricanes and floods, and the tornado's, sooner or later the terrorists will take advantage of mother nature to do their worse.

Question here, can anyone give me a good come back to this guy or is he right on the money????

Most states immediately send the National Guard to these areas.  Police, fire and other emergency responders are everywhere.   An earlier post mentioned that they are having so many volunteers show up, they've had to turn away some.  Now, the first time some terrorist group does show up with guns blazing after a natural disaster, they may be successful.  Thereafter, all the above will show up armed and ready, so not so successful ever again. 

Of course, scenarios as you've mentioned work far better in countries that remove their citizens' ability to defend themselves.  So far, we've managed to maintain at least some of that ability here.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2011, 06:47:17 AM »
facebook link

HE HAS BEEN FOUND ALIVE! :yahoo:

Offline namvet

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:55 AM »
back in 07 the town of Greensburg Ks was leveled by an F5. the Royals and Chiefs responded to that. not only in $$$ but players went there to help with the clean up

photos

Kansas City Chiefs defensive back Javier Arenas survived the killer tornado that destroyed part of Tuscaloosa, Ala., by getting in a bathtub