Author Topic: The top 10 movies people lie about having seen  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: The top 10 movies people lie about having seen
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »
That's a classic, I've watched it several times and it is still funny.
Three of my favorites: Shakespeare, Price, and Mrs Peel.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline T-Monay820

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
I've never seen It's a wonderful life, nor have I seen Citizen Kane.

First one is a typical Jimmy Stewart feel-good flick. Don't waste your time with the second one (unless you have a lot of free time). I enjoy most movies I watch. I still don't know why Citizen Kane is held in such high regard.

Offline T-Monay820

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
Which "The Great Escape"? I saw the one with Steve McQueen.

I think the list is referring to the one with Mel Gibson and the clay chickens...

Offline T-Monay820

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 04:46:58 PM »

Casablanca is one of my alltime favorites.

Godfather was just a great plot movie if you could keep your attention.

Apocalypse Now ended very poorly, but Duvall's character is hilarious with the surfing.

Great Escape is pretty good, but haven't seen it in a while and didn't leave a lasting memory.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »
All but "Dogs".

I have, however, watched Eraserhead more than once.

Pink Flamingos too................ :thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline namvet

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
I think the list is referring to the one with Mel Gibson and the clay chickens...

that the one where he escapes the jews ???

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Dongus

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2011, 12:04:35 AM »
I've seen all of them.  The one thing that all of the films have in common is the plot progression.  All of them are character studies.  I didn't have the patience for 2001, or Blade Runner.  They are both beautifully shot films, but they weren't for me.  All of them are worth watching.

It's a matter of taste, but I can't understand being bored by The Godfather.  Bogart, like John Wayne, are their characters in all their movies.  I can only understand disliking Casablanca, if you don't like Bogart.  Taxi Driver is a bleak movie.  It was still very powerful, and well done.  Meh, you get the idea.

If you want to see a positive character driven movie, The Apostle, with Robert Duvall is great.  It's still a little tough.  It's worth it.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2011, 12:52:33 AM »
Where is Star Wars in all of this. Holy sh!t I am getting old. Was no one else here alive when it came out?

That has to be where all of this started from, the whole phenomenon of "how many times have you seen it"?

There were kids walking around in my school at the time claiming huge prepubescent cred for having seen it like 536 times.

I was 11 then. Ya, I saw it (once). Big deal (not really, it was effing huge). So was Rubik's Cube.

Us lesser poorer kids took to espousing how many times we had seen The Bad News Bears or King Kong, even though they had come out before but were still playing in cheaper theaters or drive ins. We would ride our banana seat bikes to where we could sit in the cemetery with our transistor radios and still see the screen and hear it for free.

Ah, the 70's...

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline namvet

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »
Where is Star Wars in all of this. Holy sh!t I am getting old. Was no one else here alive when it came out?

That has to be where all of this started from, the whole phenomenon of "how many times have you seen it"?

There were kids walking around in my school at the time claiming huge prepubescent cred for having seen it like 536 times.

I was 11 then. Ya, I saw it (once). Big deal (not really, it was effing huge). So was Rubik's Cube.

Us lesser poorer kids took to espousing how many times we had seen The Bad News Bears or King Kong, even though they had come out before but were still playing in cheaper theaters or drive ins. We would ride our banana seat bikes to where we could sit in the cemetery with our transistor radios and still see the screen and hear it for free.

Ah, the 70's...
2001: A Space Odyssey was the break through in high tech sic fi's. then came star wars. yes i saw them all

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY