Author Topic: Major tsunami damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake  (Read 32725 times)

Offline MP_Sarge

Re: Major tsunami damage in N Japan after 8.9 quake
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2011, 02:43:08 PM »
Expect that [88,000] to double.
Nunquam Honorandum Nisi Merito
 Transgender American Veterans

Offline namvet

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »
severe damage to Oregon at  Brookings harbor

In southern Oregon, the harbor at Brookings, near the California border, was extensively damaged.

Several vessels were sunk, half a dozen others were swept to sea and much of the commercial part of the basin was destroyed, Curry County Sheriff John Bishop said. Damages will run in the millions of dollars, he said.

One man with a history of heart problems was found dead aboard a commercial vessel. It was unclear if the death was related to the tsunami.

Four people at a beach north of Brookings were swept into the sea. Two were able to get out of the water on their own, and two were rescued by law enforcement and fire officials, sheriff's officials said.

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/mar/11/18/tsunami-barrels-toward-hawaii-us-western-coast-ar-853899/

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
Expect that [88,000] to double.

I remember when the Indonesia tsunami hit and heard in the beginning a low number of deaths and why was it such a big deal........I hope this one isn't going to be like that  :(

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
I found some more pictures... these are amazing. :(

LINK
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »
Shep Smith has a feed on from a Japanese television channel. They are doing helicopter views.

So devastating. It's heartbreaking.

They just said the entire auto industry is shut down.

A WI rep was on Neil Cavuto, and he was talking about the protesters outside his home....he said they were dressed all in black to "mourn" for the loss of their benefits. And in light of what was going on in Japan, it was hard to take them seriously.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2011, 05:04:06 PM »
I found some more pictures... these are amazing. :(

LINK

WOW. 

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »
About as simple an explanation and as complete as I can find right now regarding Fukushima I:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_Nuclear_Power_Plant#2011_earthquake_events

After the March 11, 2011, earthquake, Nuclear Engineering International reported that units 1 to 3 were automatically shut down, and units 4 to 6 were already in maintenance outages.[1] However electrical problems prevented cooling pumps for Reactor 1 from functioning. Because cooling pumps are needed to remove residual reactor heat, a nuclear emergency was declared. It was the first time a nuclear emergency had been declared in Japan. The emergency cooling systems also were activated for Reactor 2. Batteries, which last about eight hours, are being used to power the reactor cooling during the electrical outage, and the government can use military helicopters to fly in replacement batteries.[2]

An evacuation order has been issued to people living within 3 kilometers of the plant, affecting approximately 5800 residents living near the power plant. People living less than 10 kilometers from the power plant have been advised to stay indoors.[3]

David Lochbaum, who worked at three American reactor complexes that use General Electric technology and now works for the Union of Concerned Scientists, said the plant was probably equipped to function for some hours without emergency diesel generators.[4] The United States Air Force assisted in delivering backup diesel generators for powering the cooling pumps to the plant site. Japanese ground forces are also trucking generators and batteries to the site.[5] The water level inside the reactor has dropped; however, the rods were not exposed.[6]

Past midnight local time, it was reported that The Tokyo Electric Power Company was considering venting super hot gas from the reactor vessel into the atmosphere, which could result in the release of radiation.[7] Saturday, the Tokyo Electric Company reported that radiation levels were rising in the turbine building for reactor 1.[8] At 20:30 GMT the pressure inside Reactor 1 was reported to be 2.1 times the "design capacity."[9] At 21:10 UTC, the IAEA reported that unit 2 is also experiencing cooling problems.[10]

To reduce mounting pressure potentially radioactive steam has been released from the primary circuit, into the secondary containment.[11] On March 11, 2011 at 21:40 (GMT), Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano stated that the amount of potential radiation would be small and that the prevailing winds are blowing out to sea.[12] Measured radiation levels inside the plant control room were reported to be 1000 times greater than normal.[13] Radiation levels measured at a monitoring post near the plant's main gate are more than eight times above normal, Japan's nuclear safety agency said.[14]

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline namvet

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:56 PM »
I heard that sucker cossed the Pacific at about 500 MPH !!!

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:53 PM »
I remember when the Indonesia tsunami hit and heard in the beginning a low number of deaths and why was it such a big deal........I hope this one isn't going to be like that  :(

I remember that too. Sadly, I think the death toll will be a lot higher.  :(
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
WASHINGTON — You won't notice it, but the day just got a tiny bit shorter because of Friday's giant earthquake off the coast of Japan.

NASA geophysicist Richard Gross calculated that Earth's rotation sped up by 1.6 microseconds.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/03/11/1580470/japan-quake-causes-day-to-get.html#ixzz1GLQ7rr5E

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »
What are the Naval ships expected to do in this situation??
Like namvet said, relief. Our carriers are literally floating cities with a crew of about 5,000.
Apart from their assortment of fixed wing aircraft each carries several helicopters which a very useful is situations such as Japan now faces. They have complete hospitals aboard, with advanced surgical wards. They can serve many thousands of meals at a time, provide electricity to shore and convert sea water to potable fresh water as well.

Edit, to include link-
http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=50991
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:13:58 PM by FreeBorn »

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2011, 08:26:19 PM »
Just heard the last part of a 'Breaking News' - Now they are saying 2 reactors are leaking and starting to melt down since they can't get them cooled.  

Anyone hear to entire newscast?  Was on CNN [ ya I know, but right now they are the only ones on here with updates]
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2011, 08:27:22 PM »
Whoah.  Isn't that what caused Chernobyl?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »
Believe it was.  After the talking heads started with a part about what this would do to nuclear power, setting it back.  Then they switched to a Japanese Ambassador interview.

I'm trying to keep up with info. about the nuclear plants - since my son works at one here in this country.  I guess vested interest comes to mind.....
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline namvet

« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
here's whats posted on ABC

Radiation Levels Spike Inside Crippled Japanese Nuclear Reactor

Radiation levels inside a Japanese nuclear power plant have surged to 1,000 times their normal levels after today's 8.9-magnitude earthquake knocked out power to a cooling system, and tsunami floods have hampered efforts to get it restored.
Meanwhile, heat-induced pressure built up inside the crippled reactor, prompting widespread evacuations within a 10 kilometer radius and stoking fears of a potentially catastrophic radioactive event.

Officials declared a "nuclear emergency" at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, about 200 miles northeast of Tokyo, when its cooling system failed to function properly after the nuclear reactor lost power and automatically shut down.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/japan-earthquake-nuclear-power-reactor-damaged-high-radiation/story?id=13114181

doesn't sound good

Offline Chris_

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »
Fox News says they're running a secondary cooling system because the tsunami flooding knocked out their diesel generators.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/11/japan-issues-emergency-nuke-plant-leak/

Offline namvet

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
a nuke emergency sounds to me like run or kiss your ass goodbye !!!

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:28 PM »
Whoah.  Isn't that what caused Chernobyl?

I think but the reactors in Japan won't be another Chernobyl and thats important to remember. The ones in Japan were built to a much higher slandered with lots of safety systems and proper containment structures unlike the Soviet pieces of crap.

At least from what I know and can gather.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »
Will have to get back on now that others are covering again -- thanks

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »
Just heard the last part of a 'Breaking News' - Now they are saying 2 reactors are leaking and starting to melt down since they can't get them cooled.  

Anyone hear to entire newscast?  Was on CNN [ ya I know, but right now they are the only ones on here with updates]

They're so full of crap their eyes are brown.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
Whoah.  Isn't that what caused Chernobyl?

No.  Chernobyl was cause by a prompt criticality which created an uncontrollable power spike, which flashed all the water in the core into steam, blew off the vessel head, and ignited the graphite moderator.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
Fox News says they're running a secondary cooling system because the tsunami flooding knocked out their diesel generators.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/11/japan-issues-emergency-nuke-plant-leak/

Which is basically steam-driven feed pumps, which aren't normally run and would contribute to the "increased radiation levels" in areas that aren't normally in increased radiation areas.

Bottom line, MSM idiots who can't even set the time on their DVR's are trying to tell us what's going on in a nuclear power plant?

Bitches, please.

Offline MP_Sarge

« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »
Things are *not* settling down in that region, geologically.

The strength of the aftershocks has been gradually decreasing over the past several hours, only to suddenly spike back up to 6.8 and 6.5 within the last 2 hours.

And the island of Tonga just got hit with two quakes [distinct events, not tremors related to Japan's activity], 5.7 and 6.1, in that order, with the 6.1 being at an incredibly shallow depth [>15km].
For reference, Japan's 8.9 was at a depth of about 25km.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
From the structural damage I've seen, Haiti LOOLS like it was a worse quake. That's only because the Japanese take better care to build structures though. It still is tremendously horrible to watch though.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!