Author Topic: Funny Naval History  (Read 11218 times)

Offline namvet

Re: Funny Naval History
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
I just luv it when a good post goes ta hell in a hand basket  :lmao: :lmao:

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2011, 01:20:21 PM »
I just luv it when a good post goes ta hell in a hand basket  :lmao: :lmao:

Yeh, every one of the hell in a hand basket have one thing in common :mental:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2011, 01:21:13 PM »
but if I pay for something I want it done right  :tongue:

Oh, I'd get it right eventually....

O-)
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »
So you guys want to know who invented this, is that it?

That's a tough one.

Offline namvet

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »
So you guys want to know who invented this, is that it?

That's a tough one.

looks like a fuzzy navel........man did get bombed on these........ slurp.........peach schnapps and OJ

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline dandi

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2011, 01:31:44 PM »
Nice so did my 4 kids ,so what,--- do you want a one on one.?

Grandfather was a navy Chief, Dad was a navy Chief and all 4 kids of mine had a Navy Chief  for a father at some times in their lives.

Base housing furniture, had it just once waiting for our own stuff to be shipped to us.

We all cut our teeth on the fact that we could not make life long friends as we moved from Port to Port.    Schools were different everywhere we went about the country.

Interesting that you married a Army Officer, were you in the military at that time?

My being raised by a Chief Knuckle Dragging Boson Diver Rigger was interesting and my kids got both sides of the story, father and grandfather Chief to Officer.

I loved my Dad not because of his rank but because of the shore time he spent with me.  Only in later years did I learn what a hard hat diver went through and admire him for his actions as such.

Now you should understand that as family we were just as proud of our men that were E3 as E6--the kids could not care if their Dad was Any rank, that was their Dad and they loved him.

You my dear seem to have a problem here, was your Dad a Chief Cook?

Get with the program here, it was the support the military men got from home that have kept them Steaming.

You're nuttier than squirrel shit, you know that, right?

Offline dandi

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »
looks like a fuzzy navel........man did get bombed on these........ slurp.........peach schnapps and OJ

Did you get them with the pretty umbrellas, too?

:lmao:

Offline namvet

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »
Ohhhhhhh no, my dr hates Obama.  Says he will quit soon because Obama is going to put him under with all of his crap.  I ain't letting no ****ing lib touch my lady bits.

he's coming to take you away ha ha ho ho he he to the funny farm

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »
I believe this thread has wandered sufficiently off-topic for a move to the Lounge.......

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline namvet

« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
Did you get them with the pretty umbrellas, too?

:lmao:

umbrellas??? we don't need no stinkin' umbrellas !!!

Offline namvet

« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
I believe this thread has wandered sufficiently off-topic for a move to the Lounge.......

doc

we're having more fun the legal limit ????

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »

doc

DAMNIT!  this happens every time! 

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:17 PM »
DAMNIT!  this happens every time! 

It's YOUR fault, yunno. Back to the ships and boats, if you please.

:stoner:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline namvet

« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2011, 02:37:10 PM »
It's YOUR fault, yunno. Back to the ships and boats, if you please.

:stoner:

we'll need a new ship

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »

we'll need a new ship

Hmmmm. Yeah.

That one seems a bit dented.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »
Wow, this whole thread got hijacked and forced to land in Cuba.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »

Yeah, ship happens...
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline namvet

« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »

great idea. we'll take your new car along and cruise till the tires fall off

Offline dandi

« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »

:jacked2:

:-)

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2011, 03:36:42 PM »
Back on topic? All righty then. Here's a pic of my Uncle Joe's ship in WWII, U.S.S.Chester. She was a heavy cruiser, one notch down from a battleship. She sported nine eight inch guns and plenty of other assorted nasties. Took a couple lumps from the Japs, a bomb and a torpedo but she gave a whole lot more than she took participating in several major engagements in the Pacific. Shelled the snot out of Iwo Jima. I don't know if she took any swipes at democrats though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Chester_(CA-27)_Mare_Island_Oct_1943.jpg
Uncle Joe passed last year, a very proud WWII vet who lied about his age when he enlisted at 16 in what he called "the real man's old time big gun Navy". Miss ya Joe, R.I.P.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline namvet

« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
Back on topic? All righty then. Here's a pic of my Uncle Joe's ship in WWII, U.S.S.Chester. She was a heavy cruiser, one notch down from a battleship. She sported nine eight inch guns and plenty of other assorted nasties. Took a couple lumps from the Japs, a bomb and a torpedo but she gave a whole lot more than she took participating in several major engagements in the Pacific. Shelled the snot out of Iwo Jima. I don't know if she took any swipes at democrats though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Chester_(CA-27)_Mare_Island_Oct_1943.jpg
Uncle Joe passed last year, a very proud WWII vet who lied about his age when he enlisted at 16 in what he called "the real man's old time big gun Navy". Miss ya Joe, R.I.P.

nice lookin' cruiser. Northhampton class. bears resemblance to the Indianapolis. we operated out of mare island during the nam war. my late dad served on one. the USS Philadelphia (CL-41) Brooklyn class

she supported the N African landing in Nov 42. later on gunfire support for Pattons drive across N Sicily. then on to  Palermo. Krauts put out an APB on her because of the name.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 04:30:02 PM by namvet »

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
Yes indeed, proud ships with proud crews. Wasn't the Indy the one lost after it dropped off one the bombs on Tinian? Capt. McVey, McPherson, something like that? Court martialed & crucified in true scapegoat fashion.
Namvet if you ever make it up to my redneck of the woods (Buffalo, N.Y.) make sure not to miss teh BUffalo Naval and Servicemen's Park. They have a light cruiser the U.S.S. Little Rock, a Fletcher class DD, the U.S.S. The Sullivans, a WWII deisel sub, a P.T. Boat and several aircraft. Quite a nice park.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline namvet

« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2011, 05:09:46 PM »
Yes indeed, proud ships with proud crews. Wasn't the Indy the one lost after it dropped off one the bombs on Tinian? Capt. McVey, McPherson, something like that? Court martialed & crucified in true scapegoat fashion.
Namvet if you ever make it up to my redneck of the woods (Buffalo, N.Y.) make sure not to miss teh BUffalo Naval and Servicemen's Park. They have a light cruiser the U.S.S. Little Rock, a Fletcher class DD, the U.S.S. The Sullivans, a WWII deisel sub, a P.T. Boat and several aircraft. Quite a nice park.

that's right. the Indy delivered the A bomb components to tinian Island. the Hiroshima bomb. after leaving she went south to guam for orders. join in on gunfire practice in the PI. somewhere along the way she was sunk by the I-58. CO was McVey. the court martial was a kangaroo count. quite a story

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
My ship during Desert Storm:

The aircraft maintenance shops were one deck above and athwartships of the mine encounter. We're coming up on that anniversary here in a few days. We stayed on station for a week afterwards in order to complete our mission. One frame further back was the ammo locker.

While assigned to a MCM force sweeping toward the shore of Faylaka Island during the Gulf War on January 17, USS TRIPOLI and the other ships of the MCM force were targeted by Iraqi Silkworm anti-ship missile fire control radars. The MCM force moved out of the missiles' range and after coalition forces destroyed the missile site, the ships returned to the area on February 18, at 0240 local time.

At 0345, after operating for 11 hours in an undetected Iraqi minefield, the USS TRIPOLI hit a moored Iraqi contact mine creating an explosion and ripping a 16 by 20 foot hole below the water line. As USS AVENGER (MCM 1) and USS LEADER attempted to assist the damaged warship, USS PRINCETON (CG 59), while unknowingly heading along a line of Manta mines, continued to provide air defense for the MCM Group but at 0715, also hit a Manta mine in 16 meters of water. As damage control teams overcame fires and flooding aboard USS TRIPOLI and USS PRINCETON, the minesweepers USS IMPERVIOUS, USS LEADER, and USS AVENGER searched for additional mines in the area.

USS TRIPOLI was able to continue her mission for several days before being relieved by USS LA SALLE (AGF 3) and USS NEW ORLEANS (LPH 11).

USS TRIPOLI then proceeded to Bahrain for repair where the photos below were taken.

What wasn't said was that there were three other mines under the Tripoli that DIDN'T explode. The minesweepers towed us out of the minefield.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
great idea. we'll take your new car along and cruise till the tires fall off

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!