Author Topic: What are your Pet Peeves?  (Read 48527 times)

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Re: What are your Pet Peeves?
« Reply #275 on: November 11, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
If you wish to assert that they pledge allegiance to the US, let us know, too.....  They USE the US for all they can get out her. Puerto Ricans STILL maintain that PR is their own little Island Nation....

Not the ones I've known.

Of course the ones I've known swore to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; to bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and to obey the orders of the...well, you can guess the rest.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #276 on: November 11, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
Not the ones I've known.

Of course the ones I've known swore to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; to bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and to obey the orders of the...well, you can guess the rest.

There's a big difference between those in the military and the average PRs. I've worked with several PRs, myself.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »
People who quote song lyrics somebody else wrote and think they're being 'deep'. :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #278 on: November 11, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
People who quote song lyrics somebody else wrote and think they're being 'deep'. :whatever:

Especially when it has no friggin relevance to the situation they are writing about.   :banghead:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I can only reiterate that the flag is that of a US Territory, a copy of which stands in the US Capitol along with those of the 50 states, Guam, the US Virgin Islands etc.; that the people are US Citizens by birthright, with several of whom I have served in the US Army in peace and war; that whatever ethnic pride they feel is no more foreign than that of the Irish, Dutch, Scots (I are one), Italians, Tligit, Yupik, and Navajo-descended Americans; and that they cannot (even if they wish) assert a foreign identity or heriage, becaue both are American.  They are as American as fourth-generation Tejanos, who look and sound Mexican to the culturally biased.

Yes, there are those who wish PR no longer to be part of the US.  That too, is their right; the issue comes up for a vote from time to time, and should the vote ever be sufficient, the US is obligated to grant independence.  Likewise, the vote being sufficient, the US may grant statehood.  For decades, however, the vote has been to maintain the status of a territory.  Those who protest that condition in lawful ways can at worst be thought of as campaigning until the next vote.

If you wish to assert that they pledge allegiance to an actual foreign power (i.e. Mexico or Guatemala), please provide evidence thereof.

In some sense, I assert exactly that, although not, strictly speaking, to a foreign government. And I need provide no proof for what is plain as day. Puerto Ricans are NOT flying the Puerto Rican flag, primarily, as a gesture of pride in Puerto Rico, as are the people who fly the flag of Texas or California or any other state. They are doing so to assert their pride in a different ethnic heritage, one that crosses US boundaries, and THAT is a DELIBERATE gesture of disloyalty to the United States. Think what you will.

Offline unbiased

« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2010, 05:16:39 PM »

Hold on a second!  I did that throughout the middle school years, back when we had to pass notes instead of texting.  I figured the girl I was breaking up with wasn't listening to metal anyway, so I could pull it off.  And I did.  Including a poem for my 9th grade english class.  I titled it "Indians" and all I did was quote the first verse of Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills".  I got an "A" and she asked what inspired me to write it.  Thank goodness she didn't ask me to read it in front of the class because most of the guys in the class would have known and ratted me out.

Oh, the good times of quoting song lyrics as your own!  So I completely disagree with you and I challenge you to do it at least once in the upcoming weekend.  Once you pull it off one time, your hooked!  It becomes a game you can play with your buddies.  Truly good fun!!

And, if you do accept the challenge, you have to report back about what song you chose to quote and how it worked out.  Each situation demands a different song.  It really is fun.
Once you have wrestled, everything else in life is easy.

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »
Hold on a second!  I did that throughout the middle school years, back when we had to pass notes instead of texting.  I figured the girl I was breaking up with wasn't listening to metal anyway, so I could pull it off.  And I did.  Including a poem for my 9th grade english class.  I titled it "Indians" and all I did was quote the first verse of Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills".  I got an "A" and she asked what inspired me to write it.  Thank goodness she didn't ask me to read it in front of the class because most of the guys in the class would have known and ratted me out.

Oh, the good times of quoting song lyrics as your own!  So I completely disagree with you and I challenge you to do it at least once in the upcoming weekend.  Once you pull it off one time, your hooked!  It becomes a game you can play with your buddies.  Truly good fun!!

And, if you do accept the challenge, you have to report back about what song you chose to quote and how it worked out.  Each situation demands a different song.  It really is fun.

BS for plagiarism. Though it is still a good song by a great band.
Caught somewhere in time

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »

Here is on I have used when grouchy in the morning----"Well I got up theis morning and I got myself a beer"----DOORS

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #283 on: November 13, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »
Snow. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #284 on: November 13, 2010, 01:36:42 PM »
I can deal with snow.  It's the ice I can't stand. :mad:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #285 on: November 13, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
I can deal with snow.  It's the ice I can't stand. :mad:

And snow comes from ice (usually). Snow is evil, snow is the devil, snow is Hitler, snow should be rounded up and sent to Gitmo and then summarily executed!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #286 on: November 13, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
During the winter of '93/'94, we had one of the worst ice storms in the county's history.  There were layers of ice covering everything... roads, trees, cars.  It sucked.  If I hadn't been stoned the entire time, I probably would have hated it more.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #287 on: November 13, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
What annoys me is those commercials where they use babies and use CGI to manipulate their mouths to make it look like they're talking like an adult. Some people think it's cute. I think it's downright creepy.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #288 on: November 13, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »
What annoys me is those commercials where they use babies and use CGI to manipulate their mouths to make it look like they're talking like an adult. Some people think it's cute. I think it's downright creepy.

You mean you're not buying that business where Duke, the golden retriever, is tellin' the Bush baked beans people that he'll "keep their secret"?

:rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #289 on: November 13, 2010, 02:02:52 PM »

Sort of off-topic, but I really like your photo juxtaposition of Mussolini and Obama. I'm sure all of us recognized he was a totalitarian/autocrat long before the '08 election--constitutionalists/conservatives can practically smell 'em--but I've made the Mussolini/Obama comparison myself, and have thought this comparison is often overlooked. I like seeing it in someone's sig, knowing someone else was thinking along the same lines. Hi5!

Offline cavegal

« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »
.TV commercials with kids trying to tell the adults what is good for them.  My Mom used to dislike that also, it just recently started to bug me as well.!!

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Karin

« Reply #291 on: November 15, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »
Auugh!  Cavegal, did you see that one commercial with the enviromoonbat kids warning on the global warning, where they go "TICK" "TICK" "TICK" "TICK"  ...one kids says "Massapequa" (for some reason) then one chicky screams "TICK!!!!!"   I HATED that commercial.  Made me want to fire up a coal plant.  No scrubbers, either.

Offline debk

« Reply #292 on: November 15, 2010, 02:42:33 PM »
Auugh!  Cavegal, did you see that one commercial with the enviromoonbat kids warning on the global warning, where they go "TICK" "TICK" "TICK" "TICK"  ...one kids says "Massapequa" (for some reason) then one chicky screams "TICK!!!!!"   I HATED that commercial.  Made me want to fire up a coal plant.  No scrubbers, either.

I can't stand the one for Mrs Paul's(?) fish sticks, where the little girl sasses her mother about the quality of the fish sticks.

No wonder kids talk to their parents the way they do these days....they see kids on tv do it and the parents doing what the kid says.... :censored:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #293 on: November 15, 2010, 02:43:56 PM »

I can't stand the one for Mrs Paul's(?) fish sticks, where the little girl sasses her mother about the quality of the fish sticks.

No wonder kids talk to their parents the way they do these days....they see kids on tv do it and the parents doing what the kid says.... :censored:

That's been happening for a while. It started with the cartoons and some TV shows back in the late 80s, then migrated to Primetime w/ the Simpsons and has further migrated to TV shows and commercials.  :argh:  The problem arose with people treating children like small adults.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline ToddWB

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »
Fixed all my peeves with the Tube..I pulled the plug....my thinking is so much clearer now.
At my desk, listening to talk radio

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2010, 04:41:12 PM »
Fixed all my peeves with the Tube..I pulled the plug....my thinking is so much clearer now.

I'm about 2 nanoseconds away from doing that too.  :argh:  But, as Mrs E is certifiably addicted to the gd thing, pulling the plug would probably cost me a divorce.  :banghead:

Offline true_blood

« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2010, 07:17:24 PM »
Snow. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
Amen brother. I'd add the cold weather to that as well. Meanwhile I live in the Northeast. Not too bright, huh?!?!  :lmao: :fuelfire:

Offline ToddWB

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #297 on: November 16, 2010, 10:44:10 AM »
I'm about 2 nanoseconds away from doing that too.  :argh:  But, as Mrs E is certifiably addicted to the gd thing, pulling the plug would probably cost me a divorce.  :banghead:
Well..in  the spirit of full disclosure, Mrs TWB gets her telanovelas still broadcast from across the river, until Jan 2011 anyway, I hope to get her hooked on the web instead...nice of me..eh?
At my desk, listening to talk radio

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #298 on: November 16, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
Well..in  the spirit of full disclosure, Mrs TWB gets her telanovelas still broadcast from across the river, until Jan 2011 anyway, I hope to get her hooked on the web instead...nice of me..eh?

Fewer commercials on the web, at least.

For now.   :censored:

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #299 on: November 16, 2010, 02:42:55 PM »
Amen brother. I'd add the cold weather to that as well. Meanwhile I live in the Northeast. Not too bright, huh?!?!  :lmao: :fuelfire:

Then we're both...uh...ummm....unsmart.

Living in this region stupidizes you. Might explain why there are so many Dems. We'd better monitor ourselves.