Author Topic: What are your Pet Peeves?  (Read 48465 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: What are your Pet Peeves?
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2010, 08:45:24 AM »
ARRRRRG, men and boys that wear jeans with the crotch 3-4 inches below their, errr, manhood.

I have yet to see a male wearing dress pants  that make it look like their butt has shrunk 5 sizes.

Unless at the beach, those tank tops the sleeveless ones men wear with arm pit hair flapping in the breeze makes me wonder how they would feel if woman stopped shaving their pits and did the same.

Ball caps on males in public over 40 years of age, damn, even little girls wear them, time to buy a big boys hat.

My husband wears baseball hats all the time on the weekends.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »

- Not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're"
- Also not knowing the difference between "there", "their" and "they're"

Are you an editor or writer, EC? Just wondering. Usually only editors really care about this kind of thing.

Deb won't like this first one:

Too MANY handicapped-only parking spots in a parking lot. The rest of us would like to park, too. One-third of the damn lot does NOT need to be blue. The proof? All those unused handicapped spots I see even when the rest of the lot is packed.

People who buy 80 gazillion lottery tickets at a checkout register ahead of me while I’m trying to buy one lousy beer—and who insist on using all their special (and of course losing) numbers, instead of just quick-pick. “41…[3 minutes to check paper]…12…[checks paper again for 5 minutes, now fishes out glasses]….3…..” And THEN decide they want another 50 sets of numbers from some other lottery.

Mrs. Godot moving things from one spot in the house to another, me then not being able to find them, and her later saying “well, I put them where they belong.” Oh yeah? And who made you Lord of All Storage Space Designations, honey? I say the hammers belong in the hall closet.

People leaving the tv or radio on in the background when I’m on the phone with them. Not only is that rude and classless, but I can’t even understand how they can stand to carry on a conversation that way.

People who won’t let you off the phone, even when you’re grunting in monosyllables.

People who carry on ultra-long phone conversations. These are almost always women. Say what needs to be said and end it.

People who park right up to the edges of driveways—leaving no clearance for the driveway owners—even when there’s plenty of room behind them.

Silly misspellings on Fox News banners.

Cash register workers who always seem to pick ME as the guy who has to wait while they count the draw. No, never the people with 3 full carts, it’s got to be ME, with my 10-15 items.

Tradesmen/repairmen who make appointments, don’t show up, AND don’t call to let you know that they’re going to have to break the appointment. I’ve likely taken a half day off just for this, or laid aside a good portion of the day for them. Of course, no one gets to pull that on me a second time.

Any wanton cruelty to animals (I don’t mean hunting). Vesta’s chained dogs in the winter also piss me off bigtime. Also people who leave their dogs chained up in the rain, and in the worst heat of summer with no water and to be tortured by flies; I saw this being done to a friendly-as-you-could-want Pit Bull after he playfully wrecked a flower bed; then the owners chained the poor animal up; great, not just cruelty, but, hey, why don’t we madden a friendly member of a sometimes dicey breed while we’re at it? (I reported this, by the way.) People who throw things at cats, as if a little yowling at night is worth hurting them. People who put down POISON for cats. I’d like to force feed it to those bastards.

Recycling. At all. I can remember when there was none, as I’m sure most of you can, and damnit, what the hell am I paying my taxes for? You (city managers) want the garbage sorted, YOU sort it; I pay A LOT of city tax and property tax and you can damn well take my garbage mixed any way I want it.

By the way, Houston—does Julia Roberts have one of the biggest mouths on earth, or what? I mean her bite circumference, not how much she talks. We’re talking hyena here. Good grief. Remember in Fright Night, when Jerry Dandridge (the vampire) takes a bite out of an apple and ¾ of it is gone? She could do that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:29:24 AM by Godot showed up »

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »
By the way, Houston—does Julia Roberts have one of the biggest mouths on earth, or what? I mean her bite circumference, not how much she talks. We’re talking hyena here. Good grief. Remember in Fright Night, when Jerry Dandridge (the vampire) takes a bite out of an apple and ¾ of it is gone? She could do that.

She has a big mouth literally and figuratively.   Remember when she said:

"Republican comes in the dictionary just after reptile and just above repugnant... I looked up Democrat. It's of the people, by the people, for the people."

She has a joker face; I love how her brother Eric Roberts' movie "The Expendables" outgrossed her lame chic flick "Eat, Pray, Love".   Like I said, she AIN'T America's Sweetheart.

Offline soleil

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »
My husband wears baseball hats all the time on the weekends.

Mine too. I didn't know caps were kiddie-fied. I thought that men of all ages wore them.  :whatever: And what is an adult hat? A grandpa hat? Thanks, but no thanks.

Offline soleil

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »
Are you an editor or writer, EC? Just wondering. Usually only editors really care about this kind of thing.

No, that one bugs the mess out of me too. Also not knowing the difference between to and too.

Offline soleil

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »

Deb won't like this first one:

Too MANY handicapped-only parking spots in a parking lot. The rest of us would like to park, too. One-third of the damn lot does NOT need to be blue. The proof? All those unused handicapped spots I see even when the rest of the lot is packed.

People who buy 80 gazillion lottery tickets at a checkout register ahead of me while I’m trying to buy one lousy beer—and who insist on using all their special (and of course losing) numbers, instead of just quick-pick. “41…[3 minutes to check paper]…12…[checks paper again for 5 minutes, now fishes out glasses]….3…..” And THEN decide they want another 50 sets of numbers from some other lottery.

Mrs. Godot moving things from one spot in the house to another, me then not being able to find them, and her later saying “well, I put them where they belong.” Oh yeah? And who made you Lord of All Storage Space Designations, honey? I say the hammers belong in the hall closet.

People leaving the tv or radio on in the background when I’m on the phone with them. Not only is that rude and classless, but I can’t even understand how they can stand to carry on a conversation that way.

People who won’t let you off the phone, even when you’re grunting in monosyllables.

People who carry on ultra-long phone conversations. These are almost always women. Say what needs to be said and end it.

People who park right up to the edges of driveways—leaving no clearance for the driveway owners—even when there’s plenty of room behind them.

Silly misspellings on Fox News banners.

Cash register workers who always seem to pick ME as the guy who has to wait while they count the draw. No, never the people with 3 full carts, it’s got to be ME, with my 10-15 items.

Tradesmen/repairmen who make appointments, don’t show up, AND don’t call to let you know that they’re going to have to break the appointment. I’ve likely taken a half day off just for this, or laid aside a good portion of the day for them. Of course, no one gets to pull that on me a second time.

Any wanton cruelty to animals (I don’t mean hunting). Vesta’s chained dogs in the winter also piss me off bigtime. Also people who leave their dogs chained up in the rain, and in the worst heat of summer with no water and to be tortured by flies; I saw this being done to a friendly-as-you-could-want Pit Bull after he playfully wrecked a flower bed; then the owners chained the poor animal up; great, not just cruelty, but, hey, why don’t we madden a friendly member of a sometimes dicey breed while we’re at it? (I reported this, by the way.) People who throw things at cats, as if a little yowling at night is worth hurting them. People who put down POISON for cats. I’d like to force feed it to those bastards.

Recycling. At all. I can remember when there was none, as I’m sure most of you can, and damnit, what the hell am I paying my taxes for? You (city managers) want the garbage sorted, YOU sort it; I pay A LOT of city tax and property tax and you can damn well take my garbage mixed any way I want it.

YES, I hate stupid mean people. Especially when it comes to how they treat animals. DO NOT CHAIN UP YOUR DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is cruel.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
Vesta, ask your husband about ball caps. After all, they ARE part of the Navy working uniform..
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2010, 12:59:33 PM »
Vesta, ask your husband about ball caps. After all, they ARE part of the Navy working uniform..

Yeah, was kinda wondering....WTF is a "big boy" hat? A ****in' fedora? A cowboy hat? An Amish straw hat????
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »
Cashiers who just hand the change back and not count it correctly.
Guys who wear pants low.
Baseball players who wear baseball cap a little to one side.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Karin

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »
I haven't weighed in here yet...my husband wears a ballcap all the time.  Looks good on 'im.  

Well, Godot is on fire!  I hate those damn lottery tickets, too.  I Refuse to buy any NY state scratch offs after that cig tax went to a million dollars per puff.  

while I’m trying to buy one lousy beer

Guys who clog up the line just to buy one lousy beer.  Make it worth everyone's while, get a pack of some sort.   :-)

The Charmin toilet paper commercials enrage me.  Since when in polite society is it OK to say "enjoy your go?"

Sandles on men.  No like.  Flip flops anywhere serious on anybody.   

I also say:  DON'T CHAIN YOUR DOGS.  IF YOU CAN'T TREAT THEM LIKE FAMILY, DON'T GET A DOG.  
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 03:50:43 PM by Karin »

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »
I wear caps a lot; I have probably have over 100 of them.    but I NEVER WEAR them backwards or sideways.   And I keep them clean.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2010, 03:54:53 PM »
I wear caps a lot; I have probably have over 100 of them.    but I NEVER WEAR them backwards or sideways.   And I keep them clean.

The only people allowed to wear a ballcap sideways is someone wearing a catcher's mask or a welders helmet.

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
The only people allowed to wear a ballcap sideways is someone wearing a catcher's mask or a welders helmet.

You haven't seen the thug wannabes down here in Houston.   lol

They must have missed that memo.

:whatever:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2010, 04:00:46 PM »
You haven't seen the thug wannabes down here in Houston.   lol

They must have missed that memo.

:whatever:

I've seen the types here, but I should have clarified it and said that the only that SHOULD be allowed.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
There are times that I may wear my ballcap backwards, but it's typically work related. Sometimes, that bill just gets in the way. That said, more often than not, I just take the damned thing off.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
YES, I hate stupid mean people. Especially when it comes to how they treat animals. DO NOT CHAIN UP YOUR DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is cruel.

Can you imagine it, Soleil? That these people thought a lousy flower bed was worth punishing their dog this way? In perpetuity? To his slow death?

I reported what was going on, as I wrote, but I have a strong suspicion that they killed that poor dog. He disappeared one day early in August--after his condition deteriorated over months of this mistreatment, the whole summer just passed--and I never saw the ASPCA. I think that dog, who I watched become physically and mentally worse, was killed slowly by his owners.

When he was free, he always ran up to me when I walked by, and wagged his tail, and put his head out for a pet and scratch. Poor guy. He'd have stood a better chance as a stray than tied up as he was, always exposed and barely cared for. I should have jumped that fence and cut him free.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 05:56:30 PM by Godot showed up »

Offline soleil

« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
Can you imagine it, Soleil? That these people thought a lousy flower bed was worth punishing their dog this way? In perpetuity? To his slow death?

I reported what was going on, as I wrote, but I have a strong suspicion that they killed that poor dog. He disappeared one day early in August--after his condition deteriorated over months of this mistreatment, the whole summer just passed--and I never saw the ASPCA. I think that dog, who I watched become physically and mentally worse, was killed slowly by his owners.

When he was free, he always ran up to me when I walked by, and wagged his tail, and put his head out for a pet and scratch. Poor guy. He'd have stood a better chance as a stray than tied up as he was, always exposed and barely cared for. I should have jumped that fence and cut him free.

It is disgusting. I tried to rescue my mother's neighbor's dog. They kept it chained up. she would get tangled around the tree. seh could never reach her dog house. The woman just threw a cup full of food over the fence. Most of the food the dog couldn't reach. My dad fed her all of their table scraps. I offered to take the dog. They wouldn't let me have her. I never once saw them play with her. The only love she ever got was from my parents (and me when I went home) . I reported them 3 times. Nothing. I thought about stealing the dog, but my better sense took over. They ended up taking her to the pound, where I am  sure she was put down. AND I OFFERED TO TAKE THE DOG. It pisses me off to no end.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »

Nope.  haha

I do not have perfect grammar, but those two things really bug me.  Not sure why, probably because it's such an elementary school thing.  Everyone should know the difference.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »
It is disgusting. I tried to rescue my mother's neighbor's dog. They kept it chained up. she would get tangled around the tree. seh could never reach her dog house. The woman just threw a cup full of food over the fence. Most of the food the dog couldn't reach. My dad fed her all of their table scraps. I offered to take the dog. They wouldn't let me have her. I never once saw them play with her. The only love she ever got was from my parents (and me when I went home) . I reported them 3 times. Nothing. I thought about stealing the dog, but my better sense took over. They ended up taking her to the pound, where I am  sure she was put down. AND I OFFERED TO TAKE THE DOG. It pisses me off to no end.

People are sick. 

Did they have any children? 

If they treat their pets that way, how in the world do they treat their own flesh & blood?
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Habsfan

• The Conservative Canadian
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2010, 09:00:38 PM »
People are sick.  

Did they have any children?  

If they treat their pets that way, how in the world do they treat their own flesh & blood?
:(

I didn't know this thread would bring out so many emotions. I wanted this to be a fun thread.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:04:09 PM by Habsfan »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »

I didn't know this thread would bring out so many emotions. I wanted this to be a fun thread.

Threads on this board have a life of their own and often take unexpected turns.  It keeps things interesting.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2010, 09:16:32 PM »

This ain't nothin.  You should go check out the Chili thread.  That one got downright craaaaazy.  S'all good!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
She has a big mouth literally and figuratively.   Remember when she said:

"Republican comes in the dictionary just after reptile and just above repugnant... I looked up Democrat. It's of the people, by the people, for the people."

She has a joker face; I love how her brother Eric Roberts' movie "The Expendables" outgrossed her lame chic flick "Eat, Pray, Love".   Like I said, she AIN'T America's Sweetheart.

I saw Eat, Pray, Love with some friends, and it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:38 AM »
Julia Roberts, like Sarah Jessica Parker, has an oddly equine face.
Pretty woman, yeah, when compared to Jason Alexander...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.