Author Topic: Can we have an official Ask Jake thread?  (Read 10011 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Can we have an official Ask Jake thread?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »
Bally, I don't see the Clintons "jumping ship" until after the bloodbath of 11/2/10.  Just a thought.  Then, Obama is fair game.  But, as I have posted in the past, Obama changed the rules at the DNC to favor the imcumbent--him--in 2012, at the least (RedState had a piece on this some months ago).  Hillary would face a lot steeper climb this time than in 2008.  'Course, maybe Obama knew that he'd probably face a primary challenge from Hillary, so that's why he did two things--1) The aforementioned above changing of the rules; and 2) Made Hillary his Secretary of State, in the idea of "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."

I always thought a challenge to Obama in 2012 by Hillary would alienate the black community, now I'm not so sure, they've been hurt much harder by the economy, so I kind of think they might be quietly supportive of her.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 06:35:41 PM »
Bloomberg is candidate A.  I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Gates is candidate B if the economic conditions are shitty enough.

Perot, was pretty much right on every issue from Nafta to the national debt.  He had absolutely no political experience. 

He had no real media experience either.

Gates or Bloomberg would fit the bill properly.  Gates has plenty of media experience. Bloomberg has been mayor of a major city for 3 terms.

Both men could fund their own campaign and still have substantial wealth.

I don't think John Bohener has changed much since 2007...unfortunately nor do I think he has learned the lessons of that time frame.

I don't expect a professional politician to be able to get us out of this mess.

The other possibility is Petraeus with a business leader running mate.  I could see those two estates coming together to give an FU to the 3rd estate (the Washington chattering class of both parties).

We need a Washington and a Jefferson.

I don`t see either of them gaining a lot of traction,Bloomberg because he has no appeal to those outside political machinery and Gates because I doubt he is interested.

I also think if 2010 does turn into the blood bath many predict (I am keeping my powder dry on that one for now) then unless the pendulum swings as quickly and sharply to the left again no dem will want to get near the Presidential election of 2012.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »
I always thought a challenge to Obama in 2012 by Hillary would alienate the black community, now I'm not so sure, they've been hurt much harder by the economy, so I kind of think they might be quietly supportive of her.

But, the Obamessiah's poll numbers are still stratospheric amongst the black community, so I don't see them jumping ship on a "brutha."  Some may go.  Most probably won't.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 06:41:08 PM »
I don`t see either of them gaining a lot of traction,Bloomberg because he has no appeal to those outside political machinery and Gates because I doubt he is interested.

I also think if 2010 does turn into the blood bath many predict (I am keeping my powder dry on that one for now) then unless the pendulum swings as quickly and sharply to the left again no dem will want to get near the Presidential election of 2012.

Neighbor, the over/unders that I have been proposing are 10.5 Senate seats flipping, and 114.5 House seats flipping to the Republicans.  I'm taking the over on both.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »

A second Hillary/Barack feud would end the democratic party.  You guys should be cheering that.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »
But, the Obamessiah's poll numbers are still stratospheric amongst the black community, so I don't see them jumping ship on a "brutha."  Some may go.  Most probably won't.

Openly yes because people protect their own when around others who are different from them, but I have no doubt when blacks are amongst themselves they're doing plenty of venting.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
Very interesting!

BTW I'm not a fan of Boehner at all, and would love to see an over-haul of both parties elected officials and have all new faces. It just seems like it's business as usual once they're elected, though I hope the Tea Party Candidates if elected won't go the same old same old route.

I expect chaos in December and a young start to challenge Boner if they get the house, and it won't be Cantor.

Frankly as an FDR democrat, a former democratic party treasurer, and a former member of the county executive board I look forward to watching the knife fights on your side when you get power.   :tongue:

Mostly because I'm still pulling the ones out of my own back from when we took power.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:57:36 PM by Allentownjake »
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »
A second Hillary/Barack feud would end the democratic party. You guys should be cheering that.

There's another part of me that wonders if Obama even cares to run again in 2012, he just doesn't seem that into the job.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010, 06:59:01 PM »
There's another part of me that wonders if Obama even cares to run again in 2012, he just doesn't seem that into the job.

No matter what happens he is the first ethnic minority President of the United States.  His history book picture was taken on January 20, 2009

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »
I expect chaos in December and a young start to challenge Boner if they get the house, and it won't be Cantor.

Frankly as an FDR democrat, a former democratic party treasurer, and a former member of the county executive board I look forward to watching the knife fights on your side when you get power.   :tongue:

Mostly because I'm still pulling the ones out of my own from when we took power.

LOL, see, now that would shock me, I pretty much expect Boehner to get the position but I would love a challenge, I personally love Bachmann. I think it's so sad that the people with the cajones in the Republican Party are the women, there are a few men with them, but it seems like it's mostly the women out there putting themselves on the line.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
No matter what happens he is the first ethnic minority President of the United States.  His history book picture was taken on January 20, 2009

I have no problem with that, as long as he DOESN'T make it on Mt. Rushmore I'll be happy LOL.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
Neighbor, the over/unders that I have been proposing are 10.5 Senate seats flipping, and 114.5 House seats flipping to the Republicans.  I'm taking the over on both.

Am curious about Jakes view on the numbers and while only a guessing game at this point I do think there is something politically unique happening this election cycle.
The feeling among those who are not politically informed that they had the wool pulled over their eyes by the O campaign and the media fawning.
They feel like they have been played for a fool and are out for revenge.
That may be a factor that has not played into politics at anytime in my life.

I would dare say that if I am correct and the result is as you suggest we go back to a clean slate again and it is still O`s to win or lose but his party will let him stand alone in that.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »

Mostly because I'm still pulling the ones out of my own back from when we took power.

It will depend on the magnitude of victory (assuming it happens)...take the House back by a minimal number of seats and the normal seniority system and nuts and bolts organizing will prevail.
If the result was seismic then it is also fair to suggest the old guard will take notice and adapt as needed,I am not at all sure there will be knife fights as you put it.
Perhaps here and there with committee appointments but as far as policy issues not so much.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
Am curious about Jakes view on the numbers and while only a guessing game at this point I do think there is something politically unique happening this election cycle.
The feeling among those who are not politically informed that they had the wool pulled over their eyes by the O campaign and the media fawning.
They feel like they have been played for a fool and are out for revenge.
That may be a factor that has not played into politics at anytime in my life.

I would dare say that if I am correct and the result is as you suggest we go back to a clean slate again and it is still O`s to win or lose but his party will let him stand alone in that.

50 D 3I 47R

Lieberman and Sanders caucus with the democrats, Charlie out of Florida knowing which way the wind blows caucusing with the GOP.

House 10 seat majority GOP.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
50 D 3I 47R

Lieberman and Sanders caucus with the democrats, Charlie out of Florida knowing which way the wind blows caucusing with the GOP.

House 10 seat majority GOP.

That Crist really annoys me :censored:, I think he said he'd caucus the the Democrats but he's the type of guy who no doubt would make a deal with the Republicans to caucus with them, which is why I'm surprised that Skinner and others at DU are supporting him. I do think Crist will lose though so I guess it doesn't matter.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
That Crist really annoys me :censored:, I think he said he'd caucus the the Democrats but he's the type of guy who no doubt would make a deal with the Republicans to caucus with them, which is why I'm surprised that Skinner and others at DU are supporting him. I do think Crist will lose though so I guess it doesn't matter.

Crist is your new Arlen.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »
Crist is your new Arlen.

Crist is creepy, you can have him.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
Crist is creepy, you can have him.

They are all creepy, on varying degrees.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
Crist is your new Arlen.

LOL, no thanks, you can keep him.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »
They are all creepy, on varying degrees.

He is friggen orange.

Offline Ardent15

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
Here's my question for Jake:

When did people start believing in low taxes without spending cuts to offset them? Why is there this have my cake, and eat it too mentality?

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »
He is friggen orange.

I expect for him to be challenged.  From what I hear, he is quite lazy but very astute.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Here's my question for Jake:

When did people start believing in low taxes without spending cuts to offset them? Why is there this have my cake, and eat it too mentality?

The 1960s too many Disney retelling of German fairy tales.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »
I have a question for you AllentownJake and please don't take this the wrong way:

Is English your first language? I mean did you grow up speaking it? I am not putting down your English skills BTW... it just seems to me like that maybe it isn't your first language. It is so... proper is the way I would describe it. Not typical I guess would be the word I should use.

I don't mean to offend you... I was just curious.  :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »
:rofl: There are a few people here I'd like to ask that question to.  "Does your keyboard work?"  "Do you know where the period key is?"
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.