Author Topic: Controversial 'Ground Zero Mosque' Gets Green Light From NYC Landmarks Commissio  (Read 4003 times)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator

In case you didn't get to see it, here's the intrepid Pamela Gellar on O'Reilly. In addititon to being right and a great organizer, she's damned brave. The reality is she's putting her life on the line fighting this thing, and we all know it.

But as strong as Gellar is in this issue, she still does that bit of sugar-coating that so many do: "I don't think the Islamic community wants it, I think the Islamic supremacists want it."

No Pamela. The "Islamic community" DOES want their triumphal mosque. Even brave fighters for truth such as yourself have start being fully honest with themselves and stop making this false distinction.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/

I saw Gellar's interview too.

I thought that she was trying to be specific using the phrase "Islamic supremacists", rather than "Islamic community" more from a legality standpoint than a belief standpoint.

I do thing she knows and believes it to be the Islamic community, but she has probably been cautioned by an attorney to be specific and say Islamic supremacists in order to avoid legal issues, but more specifically to try to protect herself and her family from retaliation from these crazies. I thought a couple of times, she had to catch herself and make sure that she said "supremacists".

I do hope that she and her family have some bodyguards.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Give a hot dog vendor a license to sell right outside the door. Maybe a deli next door.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Give a hot dog vendor a license to sell right outside the door. Maybe a deli next door.

A Jewish deli :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Godot showed up

I saw Gellar's interview too.

I thought that she was trying to be specific using the phrase "Islamic supremacists", rather than "Islamic community" more from a legality standpoint than a belief standpoint.

I do thing she knows and believes it to be the Islamic community, but she has probably been cautioned by an attorney to be specific and say Islamic supremacists in order to avoid legal issues, but more specifically to try to protect herself and her family from retaliation from these crazies. I thought a couple of times, she had to catch herself and make sure that she said "supremacists".

I do hope that she and her family have some bodyguards.

On second look, I think you're right, debk. There'd be no legal issue involved, though, if she had said "Islamic community" (that'd be plain 1st-amendment protected free speech and not defamatory, as it's an opinion, not a statement of unprovable fact; I think it's more about the retaliation and also that she sees some PR value in making the distinction for the sake of "appearing reasonable." Even though it's a false distinction.

Offline true_blood

And to open the mosque on the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks isn't a slap in the face as well?!? What is wrong with these people?!? (Actually, I do know what is wrong with them.  :censored:)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
On second look, I think you're right, debk. There'd be no legal issue involved, though, if she had said "Islamic community" (that'd be plain 1st-amendment protected free speech and not defamatory, as it's an opinion, not a statement of unprovable fact; I think it's more about the retaliation and also that she sees some PR value in making the distinction for the sake of "appearing reasonable." Even though it's a false distinction.

I thought about the 1st Amendment too, but I still think with her, as the "chief" of her organization, she was probably warned about being specific.

It's one thing for you and I, or everyone here to talk about Islamic supremacists and the Islamic community either as one and the same, or comparable, but going out into the public and addressing an audience...as she was on O'Reilly...she has to avoid sounding "racist"(I'm beginning to really hate that word!!) and characterizing all Muslims as "evil terrorists".

And you are right that it's a "false distinction"....and anyone watching it could say the same. However, false or not, she still was extremely clear to point out the distinction, and can not be accused otherwise.

Will that make a difference to the "supremacists" as to harming her or her family? Probably not.

I do think that with her going out on these various tv shows, it may make her and her family safer. If anything should happen, God forbid, to her or her family....guess which direction the police would be looking first? That guy who's in charge of the mosque/community center, would be my first guess.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.