Author Topic: DUmmies Discuss Useless Degrees  (Read 2413 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Re: DUmmies Discuss Useless Degrees
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 07:35:51 AM »
Honestly, I guess I've been looking at the income potential as I look at my job.  Eventually I could make some very good money, but that would be quite a ways down the road as far as I can tell.  Nothing I study would increase my income potential in my current job, and I don't particularly want to be a lawyer. 

I enjoy finance and economics, and looking at what MBA's make (assuming they can find a related job) I could make significantly more once I have one.  Also, I'm considering focusing on Accounting and getting a CPA because it seems like it would give me options.  I have a friend who is a CPA, and she has been able to stay home with her kids, but serve as an accountant for several small businesses to bring in some extra money. 

Plus, I have a dream of someday owning my own business, and an MBA would help with that. 

Sounds like you might benefit from an MBA program.  I was fortunate to be accepted into an "Executive" program in 1986.  I had major in English and minor in Business but still ended up having to front load a bunch of under-grad accounting stuff before I could begin.  As Gobucks points out an MBA can open doors.  I spent every weekend in class and weeknights studying or attending group meetings. Very fast paced and competitive ( one could almost say cut throat ).  I was one of the older participants.  As I pointed out up thread I ran across people who were just there to "punch their ticket",  others fresh out of college with no real world experience, career changers, and more than a few accountants.  All in all for me personally it was a great and profitable experience.  One thing, I usually ended up writing the group papers, most accountants can crunch numbers but can't write for $hit. :whatever:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:03 AM »
One thing, I usually ended up writing the group papers, most accountants can crunch numbers but can't write for $hit. :whatever:

Me badly too type. :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »
Me badly too type. :-)

I still have the electric typewriter I used in a closet somewhere. It was a Smith Corona with correction ribbon. I went through lots of correction ribbons. :lmao: 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Karin

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »
most accountants can crunch numbers but can't write for $hit.
  Hey!  I can do both.

The OP reminded me of my stepdaughter.  Great grades in high school, A's in math and science.  Starting out her first semester of comm coll, I asked her what classes she had signed up for.  Psychology, Sociology, and ASL.  I didn't say anything to her face, but I inwardly groaned.  Later I gave her dad an earful, but there's not much he could do. 

If I were to reach my old age quite rich, and wanted to set up a scholarship, I would stipulate that they must major in something useful, like medical-related anything, accounting/finance, engineering, or science.  No gender or ethnic studies, no political "science" and absolutely NO law school.  And I'm sorry, but none of the arts either.  You study that stuff on your free time.  Hardass?  I don't care, it's my scholarship.   :-)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 11:55:53 AM »
I wanted to be Dana Scully when I was in high school. I sometimes still wish I'd gone that route, or nursing. 

However, I have a "useless" BA in History, and I'm employed with a really good job that allows me to use my writing skills.  BA's aren't useless, but you have to be willing to take an entry level job and prove yourself at it.  That said, I'm currently studying for the GMAT and considering applying to Graduate Schools for an MBA.

Well said, Rose.  In a lot of fields it's not so important what kind of undergrad degree you have, the fact that you had the perseverance and resources to see it through is the basic thing they are looking for (And I'm obviously not talking about the credentialed science or engineering community here).  It all depends on the person involved - you can become an unemployed anthropologist, or you can become a highly successful person with an undergrad degree in anthropology, the choice is entirely up to you.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »
Well said, Rose.  In a lot of fields it's not so important what kind of undergrad degree you have, the fact that you had the perseverance and resources to see it through is the basic thing they are looking for
That is 100% exactly right. Unless the degree is something really, really silly, like African-American Studies, or some of the things they create for scholarship athletes, the mere fact of having a four-year degree tells employers a lot about the holder. The degree may not be immediately "marketable", but over a lifetime the holder will usually make a lot more money than he would have without it.

Liberal arts courses are also good for the young women who attend college to get their Mrs. degree. Contrary to popular opinion, they're still out there in great numbers.

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
If dinosaurs turned into today's birds, where did the birds come from back in the time of the dinosaurs?

They came from apes.

Duh.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »
Well said, Rose.  In a lot of fields it's not so important what kind of undergrad degree you have, the fact that you had the perseverance and resources to see it through is the basic thing they are looking for (And I'm obviously not talking about the credentialed science or engineering community here).  It all depends on the person involved - you can become an unemployed anthropologist, or you can become a highly successful person with an undergrad degree in anthropology, the choice is entirely up to you.

I was in college '70-'74. Graduated with a BA in Sociology with a concentration in Criminal Justice and minors in Psych and Antropology. I started out in Medical Technology and couldn't do the math. 40+ years later, I still have a very hard time with math.

I worked retail for a little over a year, from buyer's assistant to dept manager, learning some business management, adverstising and marketing. Then worked for Xerox for 2 years...learning more about management. Worked in a dentist office (due to moving away from Omaha) as an "everything outside of sticking my fingers in someone's mouth was my job".

Took several years off of paid employment to raise my kids and ....on the Boards of Directors for The City Ballet, Junior League, PTA, art museum guild, women's group at church, home for unwed mother's, and a halfway house for women. Nothing like being on the boards of non-profit organizations to learn business.

Have been a Realtor for 13 years.

I have never used my degree, if I had known that I never would....I would have majored in Antropology, because I liked it better!

However...having a degree also opened a lot of doors for me, that not having one would have made a difference.

Still....I encouraged my daughter to make sure that she obtained a degree in something that she could always have a job. She has an AA and is a radiology technician. She needs a couple of courses to have her BS, whether she will or not, I don't know. But she will always be able to find a job in her field....which is the most important thing.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.