Author Topic: Lost Wages  (Read 15059 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Re: Lost Wages
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 01:19:05 AM »
The weather has been great here, I hope it continues for your visit.

I took this today from my phone:

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 03:13:11 AM »
The weather has been great here, I hope it continues for your visit.

I took this today from my phone:

Awesome. Looks a lot like some parts of West Texas.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 06:37:30 AM »
Sparky bring the warm weather back with you because I am sooooooo done with winter.   

Have fun!!!

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 06:38:14 AM »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 08:08:31 AM »
(sigh)...is it me being lazy, or some pathological desire to spend money I don't have to?

The bus to/from Logan runs $43.  I can catch it from either Dover or Portsmouth (Dover is closer).  From Dover, it's 2 hours to Logan.  It's less than an hour and a half if I drive it (assuming clear roads).  I wouldn't have to wait for the bus when I got in.

HOWEVER...

Parking at Logan is $24/day.  Even the offsite places are nearly $20 a day.  But given the fact I don't really want to sit on a bus for 2+ hours, I'm really tempted to just drive to Logan and say to hell with it.

ETA:  Screw it.  Made the reservation at Park Shuttle and Fly on Route 1A.  $16/day with coupon.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:23:39 AM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »
(sigh)...is it me being lazy, or some pathological desire to spend money I don't have to?

The bus to/from Logan runs $43.  I can catch it from either Dover or Portsmouth (Dover is closer).  From Dover, it's 2 hours to Logan.  It's less than an hour and a half if I drive it (assuming clear roads).  I wouldn't have to wait for the bus when I got in.

HOWEVER...

Parking at Logan is $24/day.  Even the offsite places are nearly $20 a day.  But given the fact I don't really want to sit on a bus for 2+ hours, I'm really tempted to just drive to Logan and say to hell with it.

ETA:  Screw it.  Made the reservation at Park Shuttle and Fly on Route 1A.  $16/day with coupon.

I always park n fly.  I hate it when people take me to the airport, and I hate leaving my car at home.  I don't know why, I just do. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2010, 09:21:48 AM »
We usually pick the flights that leave between 6 and 7:30am and will stay out at the hotel at the airport if we are going to be gone longer than 3 days. It's cheaper to stay at the hotel than it is to park in airport parking, and we park free at the hotel. Both Atlanta and Nashville have good deals for park and stay too.

Did you check to see what's available at Logan? To stay here at the Hilton, I have to call the hotel on their local line, if I call the 800# - it's more expensive. When we flew out of Nashville in December, we left the car at the hotel -free, and they shuttled us to the airport that was 5 minutes away. Again, I had to ask the hotel directly. I booked the hotel on line, then called the hotel itself about the parking....

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »
All of the hotels (what's available) for park and fly run at least $150.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »
All of the hotels (what's available) for park and fly run at least $150.

That was what I was finding in Nashville when I looked for "park and fly".

Look for a hotel that has a low internet rate, and then see if they have free shuttle. Book it, then call.

We stayed at the Wingate in Nashville...I think it was about $60....and it was a Friday night stay. The "park and fly" rate was much higher.

I should probably mention that I spent hours looking for a deal.  :-)

After I looked up "park and fly" deals.....I switched the way I was looking.

I started with an internet map of Nashville airport that showed the nearby hotels, then went on each individual flight.

For the 8 hours that Runnin' Buddy and I were going to be in a room....I was just looking for two beds, clean, convenient, and affordable.

Do you use Trip Advisor? www.tripadvisor.com

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »
No offense, but there ain't a whole lot around Logan I'd consider staying in, let alone spending an extra $100-150 for the "privilege" of staying there.  Like I said, it's an hour and a half from my place to the Park and Ride near Logan, and another 5 minute shuttle ride to the terminal.  Besides, it's a 7 am flight, and I've got to fly to LA, then turn around and hit LV, and won't get there until after 1 Vegas time, giving me a whole 2 hours to get to the hotel, get to the sports book, place all the SB wagers I've been tasked to get, and THEN I can check into the room--which isn't a huge deal considering most places don't have check-in until 3 or so anyway.

Meh--by that point I'll just be happy to sit at the bar and watch some of the game whilst I piddle my family fortune away at video poker, or head over to the IP to get some beads for Scoobie and family.

Offline debk

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
No offense, but there ain't a whole lot around Logan I'd consider staying in, let alone spending an extra $100-150 for the "privilege" of staying there.  Like I said, it's an hour and a half from my place to the Park and Ride near Logan, and another 5 minute shuttle ride to the terminal.  Besides, it's a 7 am flight, and I've got to fly to LA, then turn around and hit LV, and won't get there until after 1 Vegas time, giving me a whole 2 hours to get to the hotel, get to the sports book, place all the SB wagers I've been tasked to get, and THEN I can check into the room--which isn't a huge deal considering most places don't have check-in until 3 or so anyway.

Meh--by that point I'll just be happy to sit at the bar and watch some of the game whilst I piddle my family fortune away at video poker, or head over to the IP to get some beads for Scoobie and family.

None taken!  :-)

Besides the fact that it's free to park at the airport Hilton here.....since I am not a morning person who lives with a morning person ...and I have this thing that certain things must be done before I leave on a trip cause if I don't do them - I may not make it back home....it makes life much simpler to get me out of the house the night before, into a hotel so that all he has to do in the morning is point me toward the shower and lead me to the gate.

It makes the start of a trip much more pleasant ....for both of us.... :-)

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »
Talk about perfect timing...(also posting this in Breaking News):

OBAMA IN NASHUA, NH

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »
We usually pick the flights that leave between 6 and 7:30am and will stay out at the hotel at the airport if we are going to be gone longer than 3 days. It's cheaper to stay at the hotel than it is to park in airport parking, and we park free at the hotel. Both Atlanta and Nashville have good deals for park and stay too.

Did you check to see what's available at Logan? To stay here at the Hilton, I have to call the hotel on their local line, if I call the 800# - it's more expensive. When we flew out of Nashville in December, we left the car at the hotel -free, and they shuttled us to the airport that was 5 minutes away. Again, I had to ask the hotel directly. I booked the hotel on line, then called the hotel itself about the parking....

We do that in Vegas. The room costs  $24 including tax. (Special for locals) They let you park there for free and give a free shuttle to the airport and pick you up on your return.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
I left work early yesterday with a 103.7 fever. The odds of me making it Sunday are slim to none.

Offline debk

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:12 PM »
I left work early yesterday with a 103.7 fever. The odds of me making it Sunday are slim to none.

Geesh o' pete, Rob!!!!

Have you been to a doctor?

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2010, 07:24:56 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Rob.  Maybe next time.

On another note, I'm coming down with a cold.  I've been popping Zicam tablets like Life Savers since yesterday.  FML.  At least when I get on the airplane Sunday, I'll be the SOURCE of the bug for a change, rather than the recipient.

Offline debk

« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Rob.  Maybe next time.

On another note, I'm coming down with a cold.  I've been popping Zicam tablets like Life Savers since yesterday.  FML.  At least when I get on the airplane Sunday, I'll be the SOURCE of the bug for a change, rather than the recipient.

If you are the carrier...you will be completely healthy by Monday morning!

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »

A wise Doctor once told me that an adult who sustains a fever of 102 is taking a chance on death if they don't get to a hospital ASAP. A couple of years later or so I took that advise to heart and it saved my sorry ass. Don't screw with high fever. Kids can handle that type of heat. We (30+) old folk can't.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
A wise Doctor once told me that an adult who sustains a fever of 102 is taking a chance on death if they don't get to a hospital ASAP. A couple of years later or so I took that advise to heart and it saved my sorry ass. Don't screw with high fever. Kids can handle that type of heat. We (30+) old folk can't.

About 10 years ago, I was running a fever, home thermometer said 104 even.  Every joint in my body hurt, and I couldn't focus on anything , even talking to my wife.  I had her drive me to the emergency room, where the admitting nurse just felt my forehead, and put in a call for Tylenol before even using a thermometer. It turned out to be some virus, but they didn't waste any time trying to get my temperature down. My normal temperature is under 98 degrees for some reason.

Offline debk

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
About 10 years ago, I was running a fever, home thermometer said 104 even.  Every joint in my body hurt, and I couldn't focus on anything , even talking to my wife.  I had her drive me to the emergency room, where the admitting nurse just felt my forehead, and put in a call for Tylenol before even using a thermometer. It turned out to be some virus, but they didn't waste any time trying to get my temperature down. My normal temperature is under 98 degrees for some reason.

Mine too. Always has been.

If I'm at 100....I'm running a high fever for me.

My hands and feet are almost always cold. If they are warm(not having socks or gloves on), it's the first indication, that I'm not feeling well. They even warm up with a headache.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2010, 06:54:11 PM »
Yep me too, 96.9 is normal, 99.0 is feverish, 102 is dying.
When I walked into the ER there were a bunch of people there. I walked to the desk and they immediately got me a chair. Took my temp, BP and pulse. 1 phone call and 2 attendants popped me into a wheelchair and wheeled me into the back. Total time from door to bed, less than 3 minutes.

You should have seen all the big eyes I saw staring back at me from the waiting room when I looked back on the way in.  :innocent:

All admittance paperwork came to me later with a clerk who tried to print out what she thought she'd need. After an hour of back and forth, back and forth the shit still wasn't done right. It had to be finished a few days later by my Father when he got there to arrange for my body's disposal if I didn't make it.

But I did NOT have chemo :-)

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »

Geesh o' pete, Rob!!!!

Have you been to a doctor?

Yes went to the doctor. Yesterday. I have a stomach infection from an antibiotic that I was taking for a sinus infection. Fever continued to drop and is now back to normal levels. The past three days have been far from comfortable.

Even if I felt better by the weekend, which I should, it would be silly to try and fight the Las Vegas Super Bowl crowds and take the chance of a relapse.

Did I mention that when moving my TV Sunday the satellite receiver landed on my foot from a five foot fall? It's black and blue, but no fractures. It's been one heck of a week. I can't wait to see the bills.  :censored:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:49:11 PM by RobJohnson »

Offline debk

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
Yes went to the doctor. Yesterday. I have a stomach infection from an antibiotic that I was taking for a sinus infection. Fever continued to drop and is now back to normal levels. The past three days have been far from comfortable.

Even if I felt better by the weekend, which I should, it would be silly to try and fight the Las Vegas Super Bowl crowds and take the chance of a relapse.

Did I mention that when moving my TV Sunday the satellite receiver landed on my foot from a five foot fall? It's black and blue, but no fractures. It's been one heck of a week. I can't wait to see the bills.  :censored:

ohhhh honey!  :heart:

The one and only time I have ever had a kidney infection....as if I wasn't in enough misery, whatever the antibiotic was....it killed all the good stuff in my intestinal tract. I was sooooo sick.

It's bad enough to be sick....and then get sick from the cure.

'Tain't right.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 07:29:46 AM »

Sounds like the time I was lifting at the gym, wasn't paying close enough attention, and dropped a 45-lb weight from chest height onto my foot.  Needless to say, I didn't do my run for a few days after that.  Nasty, shoe barely fit, but nothing broken.

Hmmmm...I brought a pair of shorts and t-shirt to work out if I feel stupid/insane enough to spend the $25 fee for the spa/gym.  Maybe if I want to hit the sauna/steam room to clear the congestion from all the smoke, but that's about it.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »
Sounds like the time I was lifting at the gym, wasn't paying close enough attention, and dropped a 45-lb weight from chest height onto my foot.  Needless to say, I didn't do my run for a few days after that.  Nasty, shoe barely fit, but nothing broken.

Hmmmm...I brought a pair of shorts and t-shirt to work out if I feel stupid/insane enough to spend the $25 fee for the spa/gym.  Maybe if I want to hit the sauna/steam room to clear the congestion from all the smoke, but that's about it.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20100204-NEWS-100209910
Here, munch on this for a bit.

C&J official: Portsmouth-Manchester bus service too costly- 12/5/2008  By Adam Leech

aleech@seacoastonline.com
February 04, 2010 2:59 PM
PORTSMOUTH — The lack of financial backing from the state to assure the long-term success of an East-West bus service from Manchester to Portsmouth will prevent C&J Trailways from bidding on the service, the company president said Thursday.

Jim Jalbert, president of C&J, said his bus service — with locations in Portsmouth, Durham, Dover, Boston and Newburyport, Mass. — will not be among those answering the request for proposals (RFP) from the state, which is seeking an operator to provide “safe, clean, efficient and reliable” daily bus service between the Queen City and the Port City.

While federal funding from the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality program would likely be available to cover 80 percent of operating costs for the first three years, Jalbert said the state does not currently provide the type of funding to make the project viable. Providing 10 to 12 trips from 4 a.m. to midnight creates a huge operational expense that would require a long-term subsidy, he said, which is not available.

“Basically it means that after three years it has to stand on its own,” said Jalbert. “For the state, it’s a policy issue. To have that level of frequency of service, it’s not going to make money ... The state needs to make up its mind what type of transportation policy it wants and what type of funding it wants to provide long term.”

The state Department of Transportation issued the RFP on Jan. 29, with proposals due by March 11. The initiative, scheduled to commence in July 2011, is backed by studies from the Southern New Hampshire Planning Commission and Rockingham Planning Commission showing a demand for service.

The inherent problem with the East-West service versus service to and from Boston is the demand and congestion. Currently, Jalbert said his buses can get to Boston within 10 percent of the time it would take someone to drive the route. However, Route 101 is not nearly as congested as I-95 and it would take people less time to drive there.

Jalbert said he supports the state’s efforts to promote alternative transportation and an inner-city bus program and he believes the service would be valuable to the state.

Another company might find a way to make it work, he said, “and maybe it could pay for itself. But from my experience in doing this 30 years, it probably won’t.”

Had a BIL who files from LA come into Manchester on  SW saving major dough until he tried to arrange ground transportation to the P_town ( no one was available to pick him up ).   Did you check on Manchester flights?  I have no idea what their parking is like.

You really got ta get on da bus.  It is actually much nicer than you would expect 'less you are use to only flying first cabin.  Only problem is at Logan you can inhale a years worth of diesel exhaust while waiting for the darn thing.  I always figured the P-town terminal was bit of political pay back by Mean Jeanne to Jalbert so it could be seen repatriating some of you tax dollars.  :thatsright:

< watch this space for coming distractions >