Author Topic: Russian Bomber Approaches U.S. Aircraft During Training Off South Korea  (Read 12303 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Russian Bomber Approaches U.S. Aircraft During Training Off South Korea
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »
true.  The Tu-142 is indeed a bear.  It is not a bomber. Just as the recon varient isn't a bomber either.  All of them are still "Damn" bears though.

Stryker is more than just a name, John. It's a vehicle. One that can be anything it's retrofitted with. It is, however, still a Stryker. Just as the TU-142. It is a bomber, retrofitted to carry out a different mission, but a bomber nonetheless. You're playing with semantics and you're in way over your head. It would take the Russian Air Force no more than a day to change the mission of this damn thing to a bomber.

It is a bomber, G.I. Jane.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 12:35:26 AM »
I guess because it cannot drop bombs?  the article you posted even states: "The Russian navy confirmed that a Tu-142 anti-submarine aircraft flew over the American carrier, calling it a routine mission over the open sea."

Its like calling a P-3 Orion a "bomber"

That's nothing like calling an Orion a bomber. The Bear IS a bomber. You gonna attach missiles to a B-52 and call it a fighter?

its different.  The Tu-142 is a maritime patrol/anti sub plane.  Would a B-52 have sonobuoys? would it have a MAD on it? can a b-52 carry torpedoes? no.  This is why the Tu-142 cannot be classified as a bomber. 

Itr's a damn bomber period and only designated ASW as a result of ARM. Also yes a B52 can carry sonar bouys

And the B-52 has been made to carry AGM-84 Harpoons
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 08:01:09 AM »
Is this moron for real? Aircraft are armed with munitions dependent upon their mission.

When did you serve, John? What branch?

This is typical JohnMatrix stuff Rebel.

Everytime something is posted about the Russians pulling their old cold war stunts...he comes along like the forum version of Baghdad Bob and tells us there nothing to see and we should just move along.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 08:20:40 AM »
Oh...........air launched missles from a Tu-142........it can't be

Ten Tu-142 entered Indian service in April 1988 for long-range surface surveillance and anti-submarine warfare Negotiations are currently going on with Russia to procure 6 to 8 more Tu-142 aircraft. The aircraft will be probably from refurbished ex-VVS storage stocks. India is making substantial purchases of the Novator 3M-54 Alfa missile to equip Kilo class submarines and its new frigates. It is believed that an air-launched variant will be purchased to arm the Tu-142s currently in service and the six to eight additional aircraft being sought by the Navy. If an air-launched version of the Alfa is procured, it is anticipated that India's Tu-22M3s will eventually be equipped to fire them.

Wow........an aircraft that was designed to target and attack US carrier battlegroups.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
SEOUL, South Korea  —  U.S. and South Korean fighter jets scrambled to turn back a Russian bomber that approached a U.S. aircraft carrier during training exercises, South Korean and U.S. officials said Thursday.

The Russian plane flew close to the USS Nimitz in waters off South Korea's eastern coast Wednesday, but retreated shortly after the fighter jets approached, an official at the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said on condition of anonymity, citing policy.

The official refused to provide details of the fighter jets involved.

Yonhap news agency quoted an unidentified military official as saying two F/A-18 Super Hornet fighters from the carrier and four South Korean F-16 jets were deployed to intercept the Russian plane.

The Russian navy confirmed that a Tu-142 anti-submarine aircraft flew over the American carrier, calling it a routine mission over the open sea.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335591,00.html

These  :censored: are trying to push us into starting something.

so, just a train of thought here ... i know nothing of Russian history really, but I am trying to finish up Charlie Wilson's War and the Russian defeat in that book is severe. Especially by what most would consider a 'ragtag' team of cavemen. the mujihadeen were brutal to Soviet soldiers they captured, and I'm wondering if Putin was in the KGB back then watching it all unfold?

could Putin be ready to settle that old score? America is so divided over war already, plus being stretched thin with the military fighting two wars.. it could severely damage us in a myriad of ways. and maybe that's his plan?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:58:16 AM by Lauri »

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »
SEOUL, South Korea  —  U.S. and South Korean fighter jets scrambled to turn back a Russian bomber that approached a U.S. aircraft carrier during training exercises, South Korean and U.S. officials said Thursday.

The Russian plane flew close to the USS Nimitz in waters off South Korea's eastern coast Wednesday, but retreated shortly after the fighter jets approached, an official at the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said on condition of anonymity, citing policy.

Yonhap news agency quoted an unidentified military official as saying two F/A-18 Super Hornet fighters from the carrier and four South Korean F-16 jets were deployed to intercept the Russian plane.

The Russian navy confirmed that a Tu-142 anti-submarine aircraft flew over the American carrier, calling it a routine mission over the open sea.

so, just a train of thought here ... i know nothing of Russian history really, but I am trying to finish up Charlie Wilson's War and the Russian defeat in that book is severe. Especially by what most would consider a 'ragtag' team of cavemen. the mujihadeen were brutal to Soviet soldiers they captured, and I'm wondering if Putin was in the KGB back then watching it all unfold?

could Putin be ready to settle that old score? America is so divided over war already, plus being stretched thin with the military fighting two wars.. it could severely damage us in a myriad of ways.

this sort of thing was a daily occurrence during the cold war.  the only reason that it seems to represent an uptick in terms of provocation is because it had completely stopped for several years.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »
could Putin be ready to settle that old score? America is so divided over war already, plus being stretched thin with the military fighting two wars.. it could severely damage us in a myriad of ways. and maybe that's his plan?

No. George W. Bush, examiner of souls, has examined Vladimir Putin's soul and has determined that it checks out.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »

No. George W. Bush, examiner of souls, has examined Vladimir Putin's soul and has determined that it checks out.

your mind is flypaper for shards of useless anecdotes, isn't it? :whatever:

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 12:06:30 PM »
Is this moron for real? Aircraft are armed with munitions dependent upon their mission.

When did you serve, John? What branch?

This is typical JohnMatrix stuff Rebel.

Everytime something is posted about the Russians pulling their old cold war stunts...he comes along like the forum version of Baghdad Bob and tells us there nothing to see and we should just move along.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

quote the post in which i defended any actions the russians took. 
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2008, 12:09:24 PM »

Ten Tu-142 entered Indian service in April 1988 for long-range surface surveillance and anti-submarine warfare Negotiations are currently going on with Russia to procure 6 to 8 more Tu-142 aircraft. The aircraft will be probably from refurbished ex-VVS storage stocks. India is making substantial purchases of the Novator 3M-54 Alfa missile to equip Kilo class submarines and its new frigates. It is believed that an air-launched variant will be purchased to arm the Tu-142s currently in service and the six to eight additional aircraft being sought by the Navy. If an air-launched version of the Alfa is procured, it is anticipated that India's Tu-22M3s will eventually be equipped to fire them.

Wow........an aircraft that was designed to target and attack US carrier battlegroups.

and the P-3 can launch harpoons.  how did you jump to the conclusion that it was designed to attack carrier battlegroups?

Offline Lauri

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 12:12:29 PM »

after a few discussions with you now, i do accept that youre either a clueless child or an actual idiot.

please let the grown ups discuss the serious matters.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2008, 12:15:21 PM »

could Putin be ready to settle that old score? America is so divided over war already, plus being stretched thin with the military fighting two wars.. it could severely damage us in a myriad of ways.

this sort of thing was a daily occurrence during the cold war.  the only reason that it seems to represent an uptick in terms of provocation is because it had completely stopped for several years.

so you think its just business as usual with Russia?

i would wager they think a Dem is going to come roaring into the White House, and they feel emboldened. Knowing that Dems have no guts for war, it wouldnt suprise me that Russia and China would gently threaten to test our attitude.

of course, Hilary and Obama would roll over and show their bellies in a hot minute...

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 03:16:02 PM »

after a few discussions with you now, i do accept that youre either a clueless child or an actual idiot.

I was trying to be funny.  :naughty:

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »

and the P-3 can launch harpoons.  how did you jump to the conclusion that it was designed to attack carrier battlegroups?

When I was in the Navy, I worked on the NATO Seasparrow Surface Missile System (NSSMS).  It was designed as an air defense system.  That is, until it was accidentally fired into an ally ship during a wargame exercise, blowing the ship nearly in half.  Then the Navy decided the system was an acceptable surface to surface weapon.  So, the weapons primary designation dosn't mean that it can't used for something else.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Lauri

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2008, 03:29:59 PM »

I was trying to be funny.  :naughty:

yeah, that didnt work out very well  ...  :popcorn:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »

www.conservativeunderground.com

Your defense of what the Russians were doing and you telling us we were making mountains out of mole hills is well documented there.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2008, 01:25:40 AM »

www.conservativeunderground.com

Your defense of what the Russians were doing and you telling us we were making mountains out of mole hills is well documented there.

lol at your epic fail.

so you admit that your accusations of me defending their actions in this thread are totally false?

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »

This is whats called looking into the mind of a liberal. Frightning isn't it?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »

When I was in the Navy, I worked on the NATO Seasparrow Surface Missile System (NSSMS).  It was designed as an air defense system.  That is, until it was accidentally fired into an ally ship during a wargame exercise, blowing the ship nearly in half.  Then the Navy decided the system was an acceptable surface to surface weapon.  So, the weapons primary designation dosn't mean that it can't used for something else.

Another example of a weapon system being used for something that most people did not know it was capable of doing is the old Nike Hercules Surface to Air missile. For the most part it was a huge missile designed to be launched at Russian bomber formations and to take them out with either HE or Nuclear warheads. It was also built to be used as a surface to surface missile . I found this out while doing duty on one of the many Missile sites in Italy while stuck in the launch bunker for one of the missile barns. One of our techs said that the reason it had the Surface to Surface capability was so that they could Launce one of the nukes at another one of our sites to keep it out of enemy hands should they fail to be able to rig the site for an Emergency Destruct of the missiles and the equipment.
MOLON LABE

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2008, 05:38:46 PM »

This is how things were between the two countries until the fall of the Soviet Union.  Then this kind of harassment and brinksmanship stopped.

Over the last 2-3 years...if not longer...Putin has been making move internally to consolidate power and stifle opposition.

He put the richest guy in Russia in jail on what most say is trumped up charges...he's shut down the free press...he gives the illusion of allowing opposition protests...but when it comes time for these events to happen either the location owner suddenly refuses to allow his space to be used or the police show up and break up the meeting before it happens.

He is slowly trying to rebuild Russia into what it once was.  This is just part of his game.

i would wager they think a Dem is going to come roaring into the White House, and they feel emboldened. Knowing that Dems have no guts for war, it wouldnt suprise me that Russia and China would gently threaten to test our attitude.

I was just reading an interview with Garry Kasparov...he's turning from chess into politics...according to him...Putin only gives lip service to anyone but the actual head of a country when it comes to international affairs.

Condi Rice can speak on behalf of the President to him all she wants to...but it goes in one ear and out the other.  He only takes matters between the U.S. and Russia seriously if it comes straight from W.

of course, Hilary and Obama would roll over and show their bellies in a hot minute...

They're birds of a feather IMHO.  Hillary or Obama in office would just make whatever Putin has planned for Russia that much easier to pull off.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »
He is slowly trying to rebuild Russia into what it once was. 
A shithole of ineptitude and corruption?

Putin is tracking good.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lauri

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 11:19:37 PM »

This is whats called looking into the mind of a liberal. Frightning isn't it?

it definitely is this year with Hilary and Obama not even trying to hide their socialistic/communistic bents...

Offline Lauri

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2008, 11:25:21 PM »

This is how things were between the two countries until the fall of the Soviet Union.  Then this kind of harassment and brinksmanship stopped.

Over the last 2-3 years...if not longer...Putin has been making move internally to consolidate power and stifle opposition.

He put the richest guy in Russia in jail on what most say is trumped up charges...he's shut down the free press...he gives the illusion of allowing opposition protests...but when it comes time for these events to happen either the location owner suddenly refuses to allow his space to be used or the police show up and break up the meeting before it happens.

He is slowly trying to rebuild Russia into what it once was.  This is just part of his game.

I was just reading an interview with Garry Kasparov...he's turning from chess into politics...according to him...Putin only gives lip service to anyone but the actual head of a country when it comes to international affairs.

Condi Rice can speak on behalf of the President to him all she wants to...but it goes in one ear and out the other.  He only takes matters between the U.S. and Russia seriously if it comes straight from W.

They're birds of a feather IMHO.  Hillary or Obama in office would just make whatever Putin has planned for Russia that much easier to pull off.

have you read what George Soros did in Russia after its collapse? this would have been in the early 90s, when he got access to Russia thru the Clinton White House.. he started buying up pieces of the country and making billions of dollars in the process.

I wonder if Putin and Soros are friends? That could be a real scary though..

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »

have you read what George Soros did in Russia after its collapse? this would have been in the early 90s, when he got access to Russia thru the Clinton White House.. he started buying up pieces of the country and making billions of dollars in the process.

I wonder if Putin and Soros are friends? That could be a real scary though..

no, soros supports that clown kasparov.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2008, 06:19:24 AM »

no, soros supports that clown kasparov.

Why am I not surprised that you are defending the brutish tactics of Putin?

Do you have your Communist party card stashed in your sock drawer or something?

Are you hoping for a seat in the Duma when he tries to revive the USSR?