Author Topic: Garrison Keillor -- Nonbelievers, please leave Christmas alone  (Read 4727 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

Re: Garrison Keillor -- Nonbelievers, please leave Christmas alone
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
From Mark Steyn's "song of the week"....
http://www.steynonline.com/content/view/2735/28/
If Johnny Marks had written nothing but "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer", he would have gone down in his-to-ree. And 60 years ago it was such a blockbuster hit that anyone would have found it a hard act to follow.

Nevertheless, he did follow it. The first thing he did was found St Nicholas Music to publish "Rudolph" and any subsequent songs. What sort of songs did he have in mind? Well, the name of his company should have tipped you off: Other Jewish composers and lyricists have written Christmas hits - Irving Berlin ("White Christmas") and Carl Sigman ("A Marshmallow World") to Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn ("Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!") - but Johnny Marks is the only songwriting Jew to devote his entire career to the production of Christmas songs. (One is mildly surprised that, in his bizarre tirade against "lousy holiday songs by Jewish guys that trash up the malls", Garrison Keillor did not single out for especial scorn the one "Jewish guy" to make "lousy holiday songs" his life's work.)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 08:02:45 AM »
I loved the photo of Jesse Ventura. As a Texan, I don't feel qualified to comment on how well he served Minnesota as Governor. Most people seem to agree that he was a decent Governor. I am still in shock that they elected the court jester to the senate. What ever happened to the concept that court jesters were supposed to entertain, not rule.

I finished reading a book by Marcus Luttrell this weekend entitled "Sole Survivor". As a conservative, Christian, Navy SEAL; he made the point that most members of the SEAL fraternity are conservative and do believe in God. He even mentioned what he would like to do to the liberals in congress. Near the end of the book, he mentioned the fact that Jesse Ventura is an honorable former SEAL. I think sometimes we confuse the flamboyant, professional wrestler; Jesse Ventura with the honorable, former navy SEAL; Jesse Ventura.

If anyone is interested in more information about Marcus Luttrell, or about how conservative Texans deal with people who shoot dogs click the following link. Listen to the audio of a 911 call Marcus made while chasing four guys who had just shot his dog in the middle of the night at over 100 mph.

http://jcrue.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/marcus-luttrell-on-glen-beck-dog-killed-%C2%BB-right-pundits/

txted

I read Luttrell's book some months ago and it is a compelling account of his SEAL career. More than anything, his book is a testament to the heroism of his OIC on that fateful mission in which Navy LT Michael Murphy paid the ultimate sacrifice, thereby becoming a recipient of the MOH.

The reason Murphy and the other SEAL team members died, and the reason that Luttrell survived is attributable to their adherence of the ROE. Their team was discovered by a bunch of Afghani herders and rather than kill the herders (knowing that they would report the SEAL's presence to the Taliban), the SEALs opted to let them go.

Sure enough, within hours after letting the herders go and continuing their mission, the Taliban launched an attack that resulted in the deaths of all the SEAL team members except for Luttrell. He survived, wounded, after successfully evading the Taliban while being harbored by sympathetic Afghani villagers.

I urge others to read this book. It gives a glimpse into the training, development, and overall, what it takes to be a SEAL.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »
I loved the photo of Jesse Ventura. As a Texan, I don't feel qualified to comment on how well he served Minnesota as Governor. Most people seem to agree that he was a decent Governor. I am still in shock that they elected the court jester to the senate. What ever happened to the concept that court jesters were supposed to entertain, not rule.

I finished reading a book by Marcus Luttrell this weekend entitled "Sole Survivor". As a conservative, Christian, Navy SEAL; he made the point that most members of the SEAL fraternity are conservative and do believe in God. He even mentioned what he would like to do to the liberals in congress. Near the end of the book, he mentioned the fact that Jesse Ventura is an honorable former SEAL. I think sometimes we confuse the flamboyant, professional wrestler; Jesse Ventura with the honorable, former navy SEAL; Jesse Ventura.

If anyone is interested in more information about Marcus Luttrell, or about how conservative Texans deal with people who shoot dogs click the following link. Listen to the audio of a 911 call Marcus made while chasing four guys who had just shot his dog in the middle of the night at over 100 mph.

http://jcrue.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/marcus-luttrell-on-glen-beck-dog-killed-%C2%BB-right-pundits/

txted

I posted Jesse's boa pic more to pique the MN voters than comment on Jesse's rule, but that said, if memory serves me there has been quite a bit of controversy over whether he was a Seal or UDT and I think the final verdict was UDT. Not that ther is anything wrong with that.

Just for the heck of it, anyone know what the state bird of MN is?

Ans.  The Loon!! :-)

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline bkg

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
I am still in shock that they elected the court jester to the senate. What ever happened to the concept that court jesters were supposed to entertain, not rule.

We didn't. ACORN did. That was election fraud through and through, but Coleman couldn't afford to fight it... especially with the entire MN media against him. Coleman is a hack and I don't like him, but he's definitely the lesser of the two morons.

Offline Daisy

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »
Lol.  So true!  If you really want to know what someone is thinking - just get them "liquored up"...oh boy. :cheers1:
LOL...A-La Mel Gibson... :mental:... :blah: :blah: :blah: LOL. Cheers.