Author Topic: Ben Nelson caved . . .  (Read 8300 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Ben Nelson caved . . .
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »
Laura Ingram was saying he had a chance to be a hero.

Some hero.

No doubt he's going to try.

I think Ben will vote against the final bill, but the final bill takes only 51 votes to pass.

And then he'll campaign in 2012 on the perception that he voted against it.

I'm confident however that this time around, Nebraska voters will be on to this sort of politics, and remember that his caving on the filibuster in the first place made it possible for the bill to pass.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »
This happens all the time I think. That new "jobs" bill is only for 35 states.

The Jobs bill is not a federal entitlement..........this would be akin to the congress stating that if I live in Kansas, I receive more in Social Security funding per recipient, than if I lived in Colorado......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »
The Jobs bill is not a federal entitlement..........this would be akin to the congress stating that if I live in Kansas, I receive more in Social Security funding per recipient, than if I lived in Colorado......

doc

Actually, you're onto something here.  Making 49 states pay for something that all 50 are participating in is "some are more equal than others."  The SCOTUS, if it ever gets that far, will overturn it. 

Thing is, it will take many years to wind its' way through the Federal courts.  There should be a Republican president by then.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 03:51:07 PM »
Actually, you're onto something here.  Making 49 states pay for something that all 50 are participating in is "some are more equal than others."  The SCOTUS, if it ever gets that far, will overturn it.  

Thing is, it will take many years to wind its' way through the Federal courts.  There should be a Republican president by then.

If a new law is passed with a constitutional challenge, there is a SCOTUS  "fast track" that will place it at the head of the docket for the current session.......all that it takes is a credible challenge.......remember "McCain-Finegold", it was heard by the court within the year.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 03:58:19 PM »

doc

I would hope a court would do something. I am afraid they would simply throw the Nebraska exemptions out.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 04:07:20 PM »
I would hope a court would do something. I am afraid they would simply throw the Nebraska exemptions out.

We hoped the USSC would see the obvious with McLame/Feingold too.  Look what that got us.

'The shitty part of this point in America's history is that it's too late to correct the situation from within the system, and it's too soon to just shoot the ****ers that did this to her.'
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »
That is true.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 04:16:47 PM »

And Nelson would get blamed for that, in the fact that his vote allowed the monstrosity to go forward.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
One wonders what little goodie from SantØbama's sack of toys he held out for...

Offutt AFB not being closed down by Obama.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »

exemption from a healthcare tax and the federal taxpayers covering Medicare increases that is usually paid by the state.

I think Nevada and Louisiana got the same deal.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »

Considering that The Øne could not even convene the BRAC committee - under the current statute; we all know now how easy it is for The Øne to re-write pesky legislation - until 2013, I think that was something of a hollow threat against Nelson from the beginning, intended for public consumption and to provide the bastard with political cover in exchange for his vote.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:48:01 PM by DefiantSix »
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline longview

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 05:41:47 PM »

That's what co-workers in Nebraska were guessing this morning. 

Offline Oceander

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 05:51:26 PM »
What do you think of that Shumer and Gillibrand?
Same for the rest of the northeast libs.

You`ve been sold out,maybe now when property taxes rocket upward to pay for this monstrosity your "safe" Senate seats may be on the line.

A-holes every last one of them,can`t see an inch in front of their noses as to what this disaster will bring.

I'm starting up "fire Schumer" and "fire Gillibrand" efforts right now.  One of the first things I intend to do, at least to start getting under that bastard's skin, is to start posting up hundreds of copies of the wanted poster below in the block around where Schumer keeps his NYC lair:

and also something along these lines:

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »
Actually, you're onto something here.  Making 49 states pay for something that all 50 are participating in is "some are more equal than others."  The SCOTUS, if it ever gets that far, will overturn it. 

Thing is, it will take many years to wind its' way through the Federal courts.  There should be a Republican president by then.

Wouldn`t the equal protection clause apply here?

EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSE - Portion of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution that prohibits discrimination by state government institutions. The clause grants all people "equal protection of the laws," which means that the states must apply the law equally and cannot give preference to one person or class of persons over another.
http://www.lectlaw.com/def/e027.htm

Offline 5412

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
exemption from a healthcare tax and the federal taxpayers covering Medicare increases that is usually paid by the state.

I think Nevada and Louisiana got the same deal.

Hi,

First thing I would tell the republicans to do when they are back in control is rescind the special perks in the bill for every member of congress who got bought off.  They have to send the message that crime does not pay.  The beautiful part is how quickly BO would gleefully sign that bill as well.

We have our problems with senator Nelson here in Florida who is up for re-election in 2012.  He is like 70 and I think if we have enough of a public backlash in 2010 you are going to see a lot of Democrats deciding not to run again.

God, I hope so. 

The kind of talk around the old farts lunch table today was two things.  Come 2012, we are going to try to make it hell for (FL) Nelson if he decides to run again.  I will find every place he is talking and be carrying some very caustic signs with me.  By that time I will be 72 years old, let the gestapo bop on me for it.

Second thing I heard today, voiced a couple of times is this.  When seniors who need medical care are denied care, which will happen, wonder how long before one realizes that the government is leaving him/her to die....like Palin said death panels.  Don't know if you have seen the Maxine cartoon rolling around the internet where each senior gets three bullets, one for them and two for members of congress who voted for the health care bill.  Someone wondered aloud just how long before that may become a reality.  At that point, what would one have to lose??

The libs think they are cute and getting away with something but I do not think that it will be forgotten, the majority of the public is furious.  And many do not know just how gory the bill is so it is not going to get any better. 

I do not like the storm clouds I see brewing on the horizon at all.

regards,

Offline Oceander

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 08:18:34 PM »
Thos. Jefferson warned that the tree of liberty might need to be watered from time to time; regrettably, the Democrats seem hellbent on proving him correct.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2009, 11:32:50 PM »
Considering that The Øne could not even convene the BRAC committee - under the current statute; we all know now how easy it is for The Øne to re-write pesky legislation - until 2013, I think that was something of a hollow threat against Nelson from the beginning, intended for public consumption and to provide the bastard with political cover in exchange for his vote.

It could be but three senate sources and two from the media say that threat was real coming from the White House.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2009, 11:56:52 PM »

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2009, 12:37:39 AM »
I just heard the monthly fees to pay for abortion are still in the bill.

wow. He sold out big time.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
Thos. Jefferson warned that the tree of liberty might need to be watered from time to time; regrettably, the Democrats seem hellbent on proving him correct.

Theoretically, the tree would need to be watered by only a couple of Dem Senators from states with republican governors, to put a permanent stop to this crap........just speculating......

doc

Offline Rockriver15

• Probationary (Probie)
  • A crazy conservative
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
I sincerely hope they make them read every last word of the bill and double check puctuation.
"the people support the government the government does not support the people" Grover Cleveland

Offline Oceander

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
Theoretically, the tree would need to be watered by only a couple of Dem Senators from states with republican governors, to put a permanent stop to this crap........just speculating......

doc

That's all we can do at this point:  speculate on just how far the left is willing to go to seize power in the US, a la Hugo Chavez.

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »
That's all we can do at this point:  speculate on just how far the left is willing to go to seize power in the US, a la Hugo Chavez.

Yup.

We're at that agonizing point in the history of our country where it's too late to repair the damage that's been done to her from within the system, and too soon to just shoot the bastards that did this to her.
-- Capt. John Parker

-- Capt. Steve Rogers

-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 10:03:38 PM »
Yup.

We're at that agonizing point in the history of our country where it's too late to repair the damage that's been done to her from within the system, and too soon to just shoot the bastards that did this to her.

I try to be optimistic and think that all is not lost and we'll be able to gain back the country we had...but the logical part of me knows you are right... :(

Offline Ladywinter

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 10:05:35 PM »
Yup.

Well said.  Are you sure it's "too soon to just shoot the bastards"...can't we negotiate on this?  :devious:
Exit Strategy...