Author Topic: Attention Texans...  (Read 4767 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Attention Texans...
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
:retard:

Texans have their own colloquialisms. Texas ain't Kansas, Vesta.......

Sorry, I was fixen dinner and when the subject of carbonated drinks comes up I got back to MY roots.   Strange but there are few of us left up here that still call the drink tonic. 

Is there anyone out there that has ever had the experience of drinking a MOXIE ?   Anyone who does will never forget it.

Now Brother Johns Elixir, did that noxious stuff ever hit the rest of the country.?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »
Sorry, I was fixen dinner and when the subject of carbonated drinks comes up I got back to MY roots.   Strange but there are few of us left up here that still call the drink tonic. 

Is there anyone out there that has ever had the experience of drinking a MOXIE ?   Anyone who does will never forget it.

Now Brother Johns Elixir, did that noxious stuff ever hit the rest of the country.?

Ya know, this thread WAS about Texas and Texans.... NOT some ancient history. Perhaps you would be better off starting your own thread and staying out of this one??  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 11:46:34 AM »
I was gonna say "the smell."

Well...that too AND the rat-sized cockroaches.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
I was gonna say "the smell."

I was gonna say "class."
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »
I was gonna say "class."

And THAT, my friend, is the Number one Answer! 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline bkg

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »

I was going to hyphenate "white-trash" but my coworker is from Houston and didn't go for it. :-)

no answers on the battles or the lakes. been in meetings and asmit I don't know the answers.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 01:40:51 PM »
Which state has MORE lakes?? MN or Texas ??  :evillaugh:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 01:49:05 PM »

Thank you!
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
I was going to hyphenate "white-trash" but my coworker is from Houston and didn't go for it. :-)

no answers on the battles or the lakes. been in meetings and asmit I don't know the answers.

They didn't know what the only natural lake in the state is?  Really??

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 03:08:47 PM »

KC

Gee whiz.  Even I know that, and I only been here for 30 years. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline bkg

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
Which state has MORE lakes?? MN or Texas ??  :evillaugh:

depends on how you define lakes. MN will call a small pond a lake.

Offline bkg

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »

KC

Said *I* don't know the answers. The other three guys I'm with are 1 - from NJ, 2 - Spain (in Austin for 5 years), 3 - Houston by way of Cedar Rapids.

I didn't really ask - I was focused on my short-stack at iHOP.  :rotf:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 04:37:08 PM »

KC

It's Caddo Lake and we have to share it with Louisiana. 

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 05:11:27 PM »
depends on how you define lakes. MN will call a small pond a lake.

Well, that's besides the point....  :rotf: :rotf:

Offline bkg

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »
Well, that's besides the point....  :rotf: :rotf:

i'm pretty sure it's TX.... but I admit I'm not positive.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 08:35:26 AM »
i'm pretty sure it's TX.... but I admit I'm not positive.

Texas does have more lakes than Minnesota, HOWEVER, Texas' lakes are man-made whereas Minnesota's are mostly natural. Too bad we didn't know you were coming to Dallas in advance. WE could have had a mini get-together.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »
Texas does have more lakes than Minnesota, HOWEVER, Texas' lakes are man-made whereas Minnesota's are mostly natural. Too bad we didn't know you were coming to Dallas in advance. WE could have had a mini get-together.

Yeah, what Thor said.   ::)

Offline THA HOUSTON PIMP IS IN DA HOUZ!

• I pimp; you GET pimped.
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »
In one word, what is the biggest difference between Houston and Dallas?

Attitude.

I've always thought Dallas treats Houston like we're they're red headed step child.    There's an arrogance towards us.   Doesn't mean I don't like Dallas or people from there.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 11:30:20 AM »
Attitude.

I've always thought Dallas treats Houston like we're they're red headed step child.    There's an arrogance towards us.   Doesn't mean I don't like Dallas or people from there.

I like Houston people too, and your easy access to gulf shrimp.  What I don't like is your humidity, and your traffic, and the smell. (On the LaPorte side, to be specific.)

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 11:30:51 AM »

come on now, we got a lot of class here in Houston.

don't be like the NY times and call Houston a smelly bayou cesspool like they did in 1994 when the Rockets beat their precious New York Knicks.  

:-)

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »
come on now, we got a lot of class here in Houston.

don't be like the NY times and call Houston a smelly bayou cesspool like they did in 1994 when the Rockets beat their precious New York Knicks.  

:-)

Nah, that was just a little neener-neenering on my part.  Now if we were talking about Austin, however......  Why does such a pretty place have to be so daggum crazy?

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 11:39:19 AM »
I like Houston people too, and your easy access to gulf shrimp.  What I don't like is your humidity, and your traffic, and the smell. (On the LaPorte side, to be specific.)

That's why I live in the far far NW area of Houston; as far away from Stinkadena as possible.   lol

I'll give you the humidity and traffic; I guess living here almost my whole life I have just gotten used to it.   Actually, the humidity is something that I've never gotten used to; it is brutal especially in August.    But I like being close to Louisiana for gambling; close to Galveston, close to Austin, close to San Antonio.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 11:42:16 AM »

That's why I live in the far far NW area of Houston; as far away from Stinkadena as possible.   lol

I'll give you the humidity and traffic; I guess living here almost my whole life I have just gotten used to it.   Actually, the humidity is something that I've never gotten used to; it is brutal especially in August.    But I like being close to Louisiana for gambling; close to Galveston, close to Austin, close to San Antonio.

I went to LaPorte for business one year.  Went to go visit friends in Sugarland.  Dude!  It took me TWO FREAKING HOURS one way and something like $5.  Heck.  I coulda flown home and back.  Crazy. 

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 11:52:28 AM »
I can't dog too much on Houston. UH is on my short list for grad school, so I may be living there before too long.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
1/2 of my family was from Houston.  1/2 of my family was from Dallas.  My heart belongs to Dallas, but I am certainly at home in Houston too.  

I'm a Bicitual.