Author Topic: primitives celebrating the end of the 0bamarecession  (Read 318 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives celebrating the end of the 0bamarecession
« on: October 29, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8721728

Perky (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 01:46 PM
Original message

Woot.....The recession is over folks., WHy the Big DU Shrug?

The worst tailspin since 1929. Done.

Vindication on the Stimulus

Takes Away a big GOP talking Point

Is Budget Positive news.

Boosts Dems a week and a year away from elections.

ANd it is a in not a meager bumps either 3.5% is a huge number.

And Yet DUers seem to be pretty much indifferent. What's up with that?

For those who forgot.....It is Still the Economy Stupid.

The primitives go ga-ga celebrating:

backscatter712  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-29-09 01:47 PM
Response to Original message

1. It is progress.

However, the recession is not truly over until the job market un****s itself, and that's going to take another year.

The magisterial one, who tries to imitate the style of franksolich, and flops:

The Magistrate  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 01:49 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Exactly, Sir: 'Jobless Recovery' Is No Recovery

Dawgs  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 01:59 PM
Response to Reply #2

8. Bullshit. No GDP Recovery = No Job Recovery.

Nobody is asking you to stand up cheer with this news. But, you can at least be happy that the Democrats look good today, the Republicans look stupid, and there is hope that things will eventually get better.

That's all we're asking.

JuniperLea  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:09 PM
Response to Reply #8

13. I think you ask too much...

A simple nod of the head is best in this case. Acknowledge, and move on. There are a lot of people still hurting. It's time to hunker down and keep pushing.

backscatter712  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-29-09 02:11 PM
Response to Reply #13

14. That's basically what I was doing.

Nodding to acknowledge progress, but also acknowledging that there's still a tremendous amount of work to be done.

JuniperLea  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:44 PM
Response to Reply #14

24. Yep...

Indeed you were.

avaistheone1  (1000+ posts)     Thu Oct-29-09 02:11 PM
Response to Reply #8

15. We don't need any more trickle down b.s.

There needs to be sustainable jobs in THIS country. Good jobs that last beyond the stimulus.

Here are the problems the Obama administration must address:

We need to bring manufacturing jobs back, revisit our trade agreements, and institute tariffs.

India and China protect their jobs with tariffs regardless of their trade agreements.

HOW MUCH MORE DO THE FAT CATS NEED TO GROW THEIR POCKETBOOKS, THEY OWN 95& OF EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY.

girl gone mad  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-29-09 03:02 PM
Response to Reply #8

28. The GDP number was heavily distorted by cash for clunkers.

I expect it will be an outlier.

The Magistrate  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 03:16 PM
Response to Reply #2

30. Unfortunately, Sir, We Do Not Look Good So Long As Unemployment Does Not Begin To Drop

Talking up 'recovery' while unemployment is not on a downward path is a recipe for political disaster. The voting public does not consider the economy in recovery unless hiring picks up, and views claims of recovery as lies until there are more jobs.

donco6  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 01:53 PM

4. Well, let's see -

My state, Colorado, is still facing a budget shortfall in this fiscal year of $270 million, and that's after already cutting $580 million. Next year's shortfall will be even bigger. My school district budget is being cut $800,000 in January. We're looking at a decrease in per pupil funding for the first time in decades. Tax collections are off by 3%, which won't be backfilled by the state - another $420,000. Same scenario predicted for next year.

Sorry I have to delay my "woot"-ing for a while.

Occam Bandage  (1000+ posts)       Thu Oct-29-09 01:53 PM

5. Growth is necessary for job creation, but is only a means to that end.

Until America is creating high-paying jobs again, any talk of "recovery" is purely academic.

treestar  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 01:55 PM

6. Because good news bothers some people

And nothing is ever instant, so there is always something to complain about.

Jim Sagle  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 01:58 PM
Response to Reply #6

7. Good news for CEOs. For the rest of us, not so much.

Zodiak  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:30 PM
Response to Reply #6

21. I completely reject this idea

People LIKE bad news and HATE good news? That is your reasoning?

this kind of logic is nothing but speculation, projection, distance psychoanalysis, and bullshit.

Why don't you go with what people are actually typing instead of making crap up just to insult those that disagree with you? In other words, concern yourself with yourself and shut the **** up about everyone else.

Posts like this, while written by an adult, sounds like a schoolyard kid jeering at the "weird kids" with mommy jokes. It's unseemly, devoid of any basis in fact, and frankly, not conducive to a good internet community.

butterfly77  (1000+ posts)     Thu Oct-29-09 02:05 PM

9. Yes,its the economy...caused by Stupid Bush.

Hell Hath No Fury (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-29-09 02:06 PM

10. The small company I work for ---

Just lost another big client yesterday -- the vast majority of our clients are in the banking, financial, and legal sectors -- that makes a loss of over 10k a month in the last eight months. We have laid off two employees, taken pays cuts, and are still at risk of the company folding. It will take us years to recover from this.

Yes, it IS the economy, stupid. Unfortunatly, the economy remains poor for most of us regular folk.

JuniperLea  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:07 PM

11. It ain't over 'til it's over...

No need to cheer... we all know there's at least a year to go before things stop hurting so bad.

This is no surprise... those of us who were paying attention remember Obama telling us so.

Don't count your chickens, Chicken.

No one here but us chickens...

avaistheone1  (1000+ posts)     Thu Oct-29-09 02:08 PM

12. This is more trickle down b.s.

There needs to be sustainable jobs in THIS country. Good jobs that last beyond the stimulus.

We need to bring manufacturing jobs back, revisit our trade agreements, and institute tariffs.

India and China protect their jobs with tariffs regardless of their trade agreements.

Jennicut  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:11 PM

16. It is a good step in the right direction but many will be in pain for a long time and I doubt some of these jobs are going to come back. It will be a long, bumpy ride. However, I am glad Obama is President during this time.

uponit7771  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-29-09 02:17 PM

17. Because GDP & job losses can grow at same time for a long periods if money preasure gets put on....

...corporations and corporations use it for dividends, deferred compensation for it's execs and foreign investment.

A bottom up GDP growth (buying incentives) would be better than top down (trickle down) and you wouldn't have to worry about deflation with it either.

earth mom  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:21 PM

18. The recession is over for the rich. Big ****ing deal. Everyone else is screwed.

Cha  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-29-09 02:45 PM
Response to Reply #18

25. No, you're wrong..everyone else is not screwed..

I know a lot of people who don't fit into your narrow category who are doing a lot better right now..thank you very much.

phantom power  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:21 PM

19. Because unemployment is still 20%?

Oregone  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-29-09 02:27 PM

20. "The worst tailspin since 1929"

Well, do you think a positive quarter is enough to make people believe that after "The worst tailspin since 1929", the bleeding is on its way to end?

How long after 1929 was it? How many quarters of 3.5% growth do you need for reasonable unemployment levels. It could be years of pain yet to come before a dramatic improvement is seen in everyday lives

riderinthestorm  (1000+ posts)      Thu Oct-29-09 02:41 PM

22. Truthfully, I don't trust the economists understand how to interpret the data anymore

I think the standard yardsticks aren't valid anymore because everyone knows there's still too much toxicicity, fraud, and deeply deceptive trading going on. I think anyone whose honest understands this. Unless there's a real turn-around in jobs and more regulation and perhaps even the re-instatement of Glass-Steagall etc. etc., the new GDP number for one quarter makes me pretty wary.

This "feels" to me as though someone finally got enough money to buy paint and they painted the exterior of a crack house. Everyone else on the block is so relieved cuz it looks so much better and surely now it won't be a crack house anymore.... But the dirty dealing and dying are still going on inside, and the stench will be obvious when it gets hot again, and nothing's really changed in the ways that matter.

Just because it's the Dems sitting on top of this quarter's GDP doesn't mean we have anything to "rejoice" over. I'm deeply worried this will simply lull more Dems into complacency instead of doing the hard work of fixing the roots of the financial crisis.

The real root lies in sometime shortly after November 2006.

One wonders what happened in November 2006, to cause that.

The Magistrate  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 03:21 PM
Response to Reply #22

31. Your Suspicion Is Well Grounded, Ma'am

The standard measures are hopelessly distorted by the inordinate size of the purely financial sector in our economic life at present. "Recovery' in the financial sector does not touch the lives of the bulk of the people, but is quite sufficient to move the figures into positive ground.

Beacool  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:43 PM

23. Call me when the unemployment rate is not almost 10%

Then we'll all have a good reason to celebrate.

Until then.........

kestrel91316  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:53 PM

26. It's gonna take YEARS to get out of the financial hole Bush put me in.

Yes, clients are starting to come in again for things other than euthanasia, but we have a long way to go and a huge mountain of unpaid bills to deal with.

The Allentown dude primitive:

AllentownJake  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 03:02 PM

27. Did you read the report

Or did you hear a number on the news and start dancing like an idiot.

Kurt_and_Hunter  (1000+ posts)       Thu Oct-29-09 03:14 PM

29. Pretty much all literate people knew this months in advance, so not news

Damn.

Isn't there any news that makes the primitives happy?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

Re: primitives celebrating the end of the 0bamarecession
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »
JuniperLea  (1000+ posts)        Thu Oct-29-09 02:09 PM
Response to Reply #8

13. It's time to hunker down and keep pushing.

I was curious about this.  What does this look like, exactly?  She sounds as if she's doing yeoman's work in getting the economy healthy again.  It's like when they say they "worked like hell" to get zero elected.  That's not work.  That's hanging around with your friends, waving signs and shit. 

Keep pushing, indeed.  Keep sitting on the sofa is more like it. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: primitives celebrating the end of the 0bamarecession
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:18:01 PM »
Oh, it's over?  Good--get back to work, you ****ing slugs.

Oh, unemployment is still at 10 percent.  Nevermind.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford