Author Topic: primitives discuss using food stamps to buy soda  (Read 2242 times)

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
Re: primitives discuss using food stamps to buy soda
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 11:53:09 AM »
If people used their food stamps to buy the most unprocessed of food staples (flour, shortening, butter, eggs, milk, meat, vegetables) and did a little bit of cooking in the kitchen, they could eat like kings.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
I was in one of our local grocery stores several months ago to buy lunch for me and my office manager.  There was a big sign up at the deli counter announcing this day as the last day you could use your LoneStar Card to purchase pre-cooked items at the deli counter.

In front of me (and holding up the line) were a man, woman and two kids probably 'tweeners'.  The woman was asking them all what they wanted and ordering.  They ordered HUGE amounts of food.  Some, obviously, to eat at the tables provided and the rest was put into huge brown paper bags to take home.  The bill was well over $100 but I don't remember the exact amount.  I was wondering what was going on until ..... you guessed it, she pulled out her LoneStar Card.

Last day shopping spree.  I was wondering at the time how often they came into the store to pick up cooked; Breakfast, Dinner and Supper.  How much more food could they have been getting?  Glad it was the last day for the deli to take those cards.

As an aside; They were nasty, smelly, wore dirty clothes and they were all over weight.  I'm sorry, I don't give a damn how poor you are hygiene doesn't need to stop.  Hell, we live on the 2nd largest lake in the state!  There is a 98,000 acre bathtub in my back yard.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
If people used their food stamps to buy the most unprocessed of food staples (flour, shortening, butter, eggs, milk, meat, vegetables) and did a little bit of cooking in the kitchen, they could eat like kings.

I know that I'm dating myself, but I can remember the days before food stamps, when the poor were given only surplus farm products, such as milk, cheese, flour, cornmeal, beans, etc.  That was it..........which is the origin of the phrase "government cheese", and the reason that the food stamp program is, to this day, administered by the US Dept. of Agriculture.........

As an aside, the USDA is running radio ads around here to attract MORE people to apply for food stamps.......everytime one of those ads airs, Mrs. doc goes ballistic........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 03:11:05 PM »
For the record, cheap foods such as spaghetti, mac and cheese, beans and cornbread, etc that are high in carbs CAN make a person FAT. When I was growing up, my mom bought a six pack of soda every couple of weeks. I was allowed one from time to time. Then again, the soda we bought also had a bonus. Six bottle caps and that allowed one entrance to a movie on Saturday morning. We were pretty poor when I was growing up, as my mom was a single parent with my father providing a massive $77/ mo child support. I don't think that food stamps should be restricted, but one should be moderate in the amount of junk food they buy. Oh, and ready made chicken pot pies were often considered a meal at the home.

Ramen Noodles, Oatmeal, bag of beans.... frozen Banquet TV dinners are all pretty cheap

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
Ramen Noodles, Oatmeal, bag of beans.... frozen Banquet TV dinners are all pretty cheap

Potatoes cost almost nothing and can be prepared in dozens of ways.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »
Potatoes cost almost nothing and can be prepared in dozens of ways.

FRIED is the best way. of course.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 03:17:48 PM »
FRIED is the best way. of course.

Fried, potato pancakes, and hash browns are my favorite ways.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 03:21:34 PM »
Boiled potatoes. Now you're talking Irish cuisine.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »
Sliced with some ham and shredded or cheddar cheese and you can make huge casseroles that will last days and taste great.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
Chicken and ham.  Buy chicken whole.  Buy a big ole honkin ham, and cut it up, freeze in different portions.  Once you get  your staples, you won't need to spend much.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »
DUMP Food Stamps and just have the government centers give out 200 lbs of People Chow each month

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »
DUMP Food Stamps and just have the government centers give out 200 lbs of People Chow each month

Soylent Green, anyone?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »

My particular favorite (especially on a day like today)?

Bag of beans--$1.29.
Can of chopped tomatoes--$1.09
Ham steak--$3.00

Soak the beans over night, slow cook them the next day with the chopped ham steak, add the tomatoes in the last 30 minutes.  Ham and bean soup.  I can eat for 3-4 days on that--lunches AND dinner.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 05:56:46 PM »
Boiled potatoes. Now you're talking Irish cuisine.

Irish "cuisine" is pretty much boiled anything.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.