Author Topic: primitives discuss using food stamps to buy soda  (Read 2243 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss using food stamps to buy soda
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:10:58 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6872010

Oh my.

It's rather more narrow than one would have thought; 43% of the primitives agree with franksolich.

LoZoccolo  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-28-09 12:30 AM
Original message

Poll question: Should people be allowed to buy soda with food stamps?

Poll result (162 votes) 

Yes, people should be allowed to buy soda with food stamps.  (92 votes, 57%)
No, people should not be allowed to buy soda with food stamps.  (70 votes, 43%)

It's a big bonfire; 57% of the primitives wanting to get fat and their teeth rotted at taxpayer expense.

The Velveteen Ocelot  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-28-09 12:32 AM
Response to Original message

1. Soda is crap, but people should be able to make their own decisions.

Just because somebody is poor doesn't mean they should have no right to decide what to buy.

Not if someone else is paying the bill, people don't have that "right."

sandnsea  (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 12:33 AM

2. No. Poor people should have no pleasure at all.

It's a pleasure to grow fat and lose one's teeth?

DainBramaged  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-28-09 12:34 AM

3. Enough is enough

I guess diet soda is forbidden too................

We are becoming the Nanny state.....

Courtesy of Bo.

tonysam (807 posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 12:36 AM
Response to Reply #3

6. You bet.

If people not on food stamps can buy it, people on food stamps should as well.

This food fascism is getting ridiculous.

People not on food stamps are using their own money to buy soda.

There's a difference here.

Posteritatis (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 01:14 AM
Response to Reply #6

44. Yep. To hell with micromanaging the choices of people who have enough to worry about as is.

And growing fat and losing one's teeth is just another worry.

To ameliorate the lot of the poor, to lessen their predicaments and their worries, one should deter them from bad choices.

The Straight Story  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-28-09 12:37 AM

8. People are not ****ing machines

(Well, I am a '****ing' machine...) And I think it is wrong to keep taking away things like soda all in the name of health care - has health care become a religion? If ye sin, ye are hurting us all, etc?

Control freaks will do anything they can to make sure others follow their religion, even when that religion has no god or bible.

tonysam (807 posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 12:47 AM
Response to Reply #16

21. Ridiculous.

Neither is candy, cake, all kinds of stuff food fascist fanatics say is "bad" for you.

If you can buy the stuff without food stamps, by God, the poor should be allowed to buy the same thing with them. Food is food, whether you like it or not.

Itchinjim  (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 05:15 AM

98. Recently a well dressed young man ahead of me in line paid for a bottle of Mountain Dew with food stamps. That was annoying. But not nearly as annoying as when he pulled a twenty dollar bill out of his pocket to pay for a handfull of scratch-off lottery tickets. No shame. No shame whatsoever.

elocs  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-28-09 07:24 AM

107. Just what we need--control freak, do-gooder Liberal nannies who think they know what is best, what is best for poor people on food stamps. How noble. Why stop at soda? Why not come up with a list of forbidden food and beverages that will be forbidden to people on food stamps? Then we could feel particularly self righteous. Or we could simply eliminate choice altogether and simply give people on food stamps only the food that we think is good for them. Wouldn't that be special?

But why stop at just food stamps? Why not put strings and requirements on any government aid that needy people get? Damn, I can't wait until we run the world and make people do what is best for them. That'll teach 'em.

If one gets joy and merriment out of watching the primitives squibble-squabble, wiggle-waglging their arm-pits at each other, reading this bonfire in its entirety at the link above is recommended.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: primitives discuss using food stamps to buy soda
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »

107. Just what we need--control freak, do-gooder Liberal nannies who think they know what is best, what is best for poor people on food stamps. How noble. Why stop at soda? Why not come up with a list of forbidden food and beverages that will be forbidden to people on food stamps? Then we could feel particularly self righteous. Or we could simply eliminate choice altogether and simply give people on food stamps only the food that we think is good for them. Wouldn't that be special?

But why stop at just food stamps? Why not put strings and requirements on any government aid that needy people get? Damn, I can't wait until we run the world and make people do what is best for them. That'll teach 'em.

I think this should be done the other way around.  How about coming up with a list of what is ok to purchase.  It would be much shorter. 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:16 AM »
Posteritatis (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 01:14 AM
Response to Reply #6

44. Yep. To hell with micromanaging the choices of people who have enough to worry about as is.

But this is what liberals do. They want to micromanage what people do with their own money.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:29:09 AM »
The Velveteen Ocelot  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-28-09 12:32 AM

1. Soda is crap, but people should be able to make their own decisions.

Just because somebody is poor doesn't mean they should have no right to decide what to buy.

And yet this and about 99.99 percent of the other DUmmies see no problem with the government telling companies who took corporate welfare how much money they can make, how much their employees and management can be paid, etc., etc., etc...

Oh, delicious irony.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
We would not be telling people not to buy it because they are poor, but because they are using our money to buy it.  I firmly believe that food stamps should be restricted to real food items.  No Candy, Soda, or Chips.  I remember an article the local newspaper ran an article where one of the reporters tried living on $3 a day of food, because that is apparently what food stamps provide, and he basically ate PB&J every day for every meal. I very nearly wrote a letter to the editor about it, but I was young and decided it was a waste of time.  I wanted to point out that if he had bought a few staples, like some Oatmeal and dried beans, he could have eaten a lot better, and a lot more variety. 

I've been researching cheap meals, because if I end up buying a house anytime soon, that is what I'll be eating   :p

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »
A DUmmy takes offense:
Sub Atomic (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 09:28 AM
Original message
When did DU makes its sudden lurch to the right and start slamming people on food stamps?
 You that choose to belittle people on food stamps deserve to go a week without eating and find yourself in a position where you're at the point where food stamps are the difference between you eating or not.

If you think you can just walk into a FS office and they give you money, you are sorely mistaken.

Go ahead and unrec my thread you little d-bags. But make sure you respond and tell me why you did.

And is miffed that he has to WORK for his:
Sub Atomic (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 09:34 AM
Response to Reply #3
7. I realize that. It's been happening over the past 3 or 4 years.
 This issue pisses me the f((k off. I went on Food Stamps the beginning of October because I have no other choice except to starve.

It was one of the most humiliating, soul-crushing things I had to do; to me, I equated getting food stamps with personal failure at life.

And they're not "free" as some here would like to contend: I have to work 27 hours a month in community service in order to get my "free" $200 a month in food stamps. If I don't do the hours, I don't get to eat.

If that makes me a welfare queen, where the **** is my brand new Cadillac?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6873110
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:54:29 AM »
To every last DUmmy that thinks they have the all the privileges that I do on my dime..go to effing hell.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:55:54 AM »
To every last DUmmy that thinks they have the all the privileges that I do on my dime..go to effing hell.

My sentiments exactly.

If we're paying for it, we have the right to decide what we're paying for.

Basic foodstuffs, which don't make people fat and rot their teeth.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:02:05 AM »
You can buy bows and arrows with food stamps in Alaska?  Who knew?

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/retailers/pdfs/eligible_list.pdf
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 09:03:55 AM »
Sub Atomic (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 09:34 AM
Response to Reply #3
7. I realize that. It's been happening over the past 3 or 4 years.
 This issue pisses me the f((k off. I went on Food Stamps the beginning of October because I have no other choice except to starve.

It was one of the most humiliating, soul-crushing things I had to do; to me, I equated getting food stamps with personal failure at life.

And they're not "free" as some here would like to contend: I have to work 27 hours a month in community service in order to get my "free" $200 a month in food stamps. If I don't do the hours, I don't get to eat.

If that makes me a welfare queen, where the **** is my brand new Cadillac?

Boo hoo hoo, cry me a river.  $7.41 per hour, better than the Federal minimum wage.  If he really wanted to, he could take a part time job somewhere on the weekends and probably make more money, and then he could buy whatever he wanted.  As it is, if he is using government money to buy food, so the government should be able to restrict his items to nutritious food.  

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
Itchinjim  (1000+ posts)      Wed Oct-28-09 05:15 AM

98. Recently a well dressed young man ahead of me in line paid for a bottle of Mountain Dew with food stamps. That was annoying. But not nearly as annoying as when he pulled a twenty dollar bill out of his pocket to pay for a handfull of scratch-off lottery tickets. No shame. No shame whatsoever.

This post amazed me.  According to the DUmmies this never happens.  Nope. Not once, anywhere.  How come we are the only ones to see stuff like that?

This one has to be a mole.   :whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline lastparker

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »
This post amazed me.  According to the DUmmies this never happens.  Nope. Not once, anywhere.  How come we are the only ones to see stuff like that?

This one has to be a mole.   :whatever:

KC

Either that, or they forgot their stupid sarcasm 'con.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 09:41:46 AM »
Jukin thinks that any person receiving public assistance should be randomly drug tested. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 10:14:24 AM »
I'd like to see the results of that poll if the commodity in question had been weed.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 10:16:01 AM »
Either that, or they forgot their stupid sarcasm 'con.

I knew there would be some kind of apologist reply to that.  I knew it.  I had to go take a look;

Bluenorthwest  (1000+ posts)     
Wed Oct-28-09 08:21 AM
Response to Reply #98

118. You shame the steal your face <--- What the hell does that mean?

Describe the food stamps, tell us how you knew he was using them and how your psychic powers knew he was not buying the tix for his neighbor. Most states use ATM style cards for 'food stamps' and the only way to know that a person is using them is if one is basically gazing at the keypad, Uhhh no, you can usually see the card while they are boldly holding them waiting for the checker to finish.as if they were out to steal pin numbers.

And why would you desire shame out of your fellow citizens? How is any of this your business, and have you noted how much assumption is involved?
One of the most vile posts I have read on DU. By the way.

For those who truly need foodstamps as a hand UP I'm all for them but I still feel like there should be shame attached so you hold out as long as possible trying everything before you sign up.  Once on the program you should be doing everything possible to get OFF the program.  Hand up=good .... Hand out=not good.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Karin

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »

107. Just what we need--control freak, do-gooder Liberal nannies who think they know what is best,

OMG, a lousy freeper troll!  Slamming liberals!  Is he still alive? 

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »
The last I knew an E-5 with two kids was still payed poorly enough to qualify for food stamps.  However, at least the E-5 is working for everything he gets.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »
When I get my food stamps, gonna buy all the girls on my block
edible panties and a quart of the finest highland scotch.

(hat tip to Camper Van  Beethoven)

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 10:57:40 AM »
So we take care of their essentials with food stamps and they still can't pay for pop with their own damned money? Come on! Like has been said, assistance like this should come with tabs. Food stamps should not pay for convenience foods, pop, candy, or ready-made meals. This just goes to prove what liberals like DU really want: a total lifestyle funded by someone else with no strings attached.

And one of my part time gigs was in a grocery store. I was really quite surprised at what could be purchased with the EBT card--geez! They'd do more for healthcare if they put some of those people on a diet. ON the other end, you had young idealistic couples with a kid or two who weren't married, but lived together and the mother got food stamps and chose to use them on organic foods so we basically were supplementing their organic lifestyle since once you took that away they probably could have afforded their own damned food.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »
I think this should be done the other way around.  How about coming up with a list of what is ok to purchase.  It would be much shorter. 

KC

They do it with WIC so the mothers of young children don't spend thatmoney on crap. I don't see why the same can't be done for EBT benefits.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 11:05:03 AM »
We would not be telling people not to buy it because they are poor, but because they are using our money to buy it.  I firmly believe that food stamps should be restricted to real food items.  No Candy, Soda, or Chips.  I remember an article the local newspaper ran an article where one of the reporters tried living on $3 a day of food, because that is apparently what food stamps provide, and he basically ate PB&J every day for every meal. I very nearly wrote a letter to the editor about it, but I was young and decided it was a waste of time.  I wanted to point out that if he had bought a few staples, like some Oatmeal and dried beans, he could have eaten a lot better, and a lot more variety. 

I've been researching cheap meals, because if I end up buying a house anytime soon, that is what I'll be eating   :p

Cheap meal?  Chicken is your friend. 
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 11:05:12 AM »
The Velveteen Ocelot  (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-28-09 12:32 AM

And just because a company is having cash-flow problems doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to pay their executives what they want, right DUmmie?
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 11:12:23 AM »
Cheap meal?  Chicken is your friend. 

Even cheaper if your neighbor has wandering chickens.  :evillaugh:

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »
118. You shame the steal your face  <--- What the hell does that mean?

Grateful Dead logo.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 11:31:29 AM »
For the record, cheap foods such as spaghetti, mac and cheese, beans and cornbread, etc that are high in carbs CAN make a person FAT. When I was growing up, my mom bought a six pack of soda every couple of weeks. I was allowed one from time to time. Then again, the soda we bought also had a bonus. Six bottle caps and that allowed one entrance to a movie on Saturday morning. We were pretty poor when I was growing up, as my mom was a single parent with my father providing a massive $77/ mo child support. I don't think that food stamps should be restricted, but one should be moderate in the amount of junk food they buy. Oh, and ready made chicken pot pies were often considered a meal at the home.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson