Author Topic: primitives discuss dead ted and current Massachusetts senatorial candidates  (Read 372 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6863884

Oh my.

graywarrior  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 12:05 AM
Original message

Ugh, we're ****ed. Not one in the bunch worth the bottom of Ted's shoe.

article

In their first debate of the campaign, the four Democratic candidates for US Senate tonight sparred gently, seeking to play to a liberal base and distinguish themselves as the rightful heir to the seat held by Edward M. Kennedy.

The debate allowed each of the four to highlight their candidacies and their themes: US Representative Michael Capuano played to his blue-collar progressive roots and his insider political skills; Attorney General Martha Coakley was crisp and efficient, showing a command of the issues and making a point to address the camera; Stephen G. Pagliuca and Alan Khazei presented their non-political backgrounds as assets.

Capuano repeatedly portrayed himself as the consummate Washington insider, the one with experience and Capitol Hill savvy to make the kind of legislative deals for which Kennedy was legendary.

‘‘I’ve been trained in the House to know the way of Washington,’’ Capuano said in his closing statement. ‘‘To change that now would be to say to Senator Kennedy, ‘Your 47 years of experience weren’t worth much.’’’

But Pagliuca, a co-owner of the Boston Celtics, and Khazei, a co-founder of City Year, tried to define themselves as Beltway outsiders who were free from special interests and would arrive in Washington with fresh eyes.

‘‘I know it is rocket science down there to get things done,’’ Pagliuca, his voice dripping with sarcasm, said at one point when Capuano suggested he was the only one who understood Washington.

Khazei, arguably the least-known candidate in the field, attempted.....blahblah.

Merlot (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 12:13 AM
Response to Original message

1. Be happy you don't have to listen to meg witman commercials

or should I say meg wit-less. She's awful, typical repub talking points all dressed up in language at a third grade level. She really thinks we're all stupid.

In the case of the primitives, Meg "Witman" is absolutely right.

Her Stoutness the silly primitive:

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 12:41 AM
Response to Reply #1

4. That sad thing is.. she might be correct (30 of the last 42 years we've had GOP (bad) governors)

Ronald Reagan ....January 3, 1967-January 6, 1975
Edmund Gerald "Jerry" Brown, Jr.....January 6, 1975 -January 3, 1983
George Deukmejian.....January 3, 1983-January 7, 1991
Pete Wilson......January 7, 1991-January 4, 1999
"Gray" Davis....January 4, 1999-November 17, 2003
Arnold Schwarzenegger....November 17, 2003-

NYC_SKP  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 12:45 AM
Response to Reply #1

5. but her eBay created "thousands of small businesses"...

...meaning people selling yard sale shit on eBay...

Merlot (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 12:54 AM
Response to Reply #5

7. Yes, one of her talking points is how many jobs she created while at ebay

She came to ebay AFTER it was established and successful. She turned it into the big boondoggle it is today.

She wants to create jobs, but not gov't jobs. Meaning she wants to create minimum wage jobs without benefits or pensions or unions.

BrklynLiberal  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 12:14 AM

2. Very sad, isn't it. And he is sorely missed right now in the midst of this fight for single payer/public option.

I do not believe anyone will be able to take on his mantle and wear it well.

saltpoint  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 12:39 AM

3. A significant number of people never thought Edward Moore Kennedy would amount to anything, let alone become (arguably) the most effective coalition legislator in the upper chamber in decades.

I think about the same percentage thought Abraham Lincoln was a deep-woods hick.

Let's keep an eye on the runway and let's watch the plane take off.

Like the same percentage thought George Bush was stupid.

The bobbling primitive, posting at the public library shortly after midnight.

One wonders how many public libraries are open at midnight.

bobbolink  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 12:46 AM

6. Just when we had the encouragement of Grayson and Weiner, then along comes this.......charade.

sigh....

flvegan  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 12:57 AM

8. *show of hands* Who is surprised?

HughMoran  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 01:00 AM

9. I watched the debate. I liked Capuano's agressive style and Coakley's assuredness

The other 2 are wanna-bees. Granted, they're no Teddy Kennedy, but they're solid Massachusetts liberals.

graywarrior  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 07:51 AM
Response to Reply #9

10. Capuano is grating to the nerves, but if push comes to shove, I'll vote for him.

Unless Coakley does something to wow me.

smoogatz  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 08:43 AM

11. Three things:

First, Teddy wasn't all that when he first started out.

Second, I think you've exceeded fair use with this post. Isn't it four paragraphs, max?

Third: You don't replace a guy like Teddy. You pick the best available candidate and hope they can grow into the job.

graywarrior  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 02:58 PM
Response to Reply #11

12. Paragraph police.

Sheesh.

Plus, you don't even live here in MA.

smoogatz  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 03:11 PM
Response to Reply #12

13. It's not like you went to five, or six.

You quoted the whole piece; thirty paragraphs or something. And it was on the greatest page, so I commented. I used to live in, MA, though, for eight years. Does that count?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Ive been amused by this whole process - for the most part, these four are trying to out-liberal each other, and are trying to be the candidate most like Ted Kennedy.

right down to blaming Bush - who hasn't been president for several months now.

In any other state, being openly compared to Ted Kennedy would spell the end of one's chances at getting elected. -But not here.

I still think this race is Coakley's to lose, but her under reported "Palin Moment" from a couple of days ago is starting to get recognition in the MSM.

("Palin Moment" as in 'if Sarah Palin said that it would be all over the news'  - video below.. )

[youtube=425,350]EZRzsFjykGA[/youtube]