Author Topic: primitives discuss night club for fat people  (Read 2611 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss night club for fat people
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6861414

Oh my.

The stuttering primitive:

ccharles000  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 05:07 PM
Original message

Nightclubs for the plus-size begin to weigh in 

LONG BEACH, Calif.— Move over, it's Saturday night at Club Bounce and people are bouncing onto the dance floor in a big, big way.

These are big, big people, all dressed to the nines and many tipping the scales at 250, maybe 300 pounds.

That's because this expansive nightclub a couple blocks from the Pacific Ocean, with its flashing lights, friendly atmosphere and wall-rattling hip-hop sounds, caters specifically to fat people.

That's right, fat people. Not just any fat people, either, but fat people who are proud to call themselves fat people. People who joke that they are part of the new Fat is Phat movement.

"Self-conscious? No! Not at all," laughs Monique Lopez, a curvaceous woman of 23 as she arrives in a tight, black dress and heels. "I was like, 'I'm going to Club Bounce tonight. I'm going to wear my shortest skirt.'" (Which she did.)

The movement for equal rights for plus-sized people is nothing new of course. The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance, with chapters around the country, was founded 40 years ago. A nonprofit group, it advocates that everyone be treated equally regardless of size, arguing that we don't live in a one-size-fits-all world.

But what has been slower coming, fat advocates say, are places like Club Bounce, where people who might have some trouble getting past the velvet ropes at other night spots because of their size are made to feel like they fit right in.

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/1110/9320873/Ni...

dana_b  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 05:07 PM
Response to Original message

1. good for them

a place where they can feel comfortable - sounds good.

The defrocked warped primitive:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 05:09 PM
Response to Reply #1

3. It's an untapped market

Those velvet rope places were notoriously hard on all of us who didn't conform to the beautiful people stereotype for one reason or another.

I love the name, too.

glen123098 (14 posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 05:09 PM

2. I went to a nightclub once in my life.

I was the fattest person there. I felt so bad and had to go home.

The unfrocked warped primitive, again:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 05:12 PM
Response to Reply #2

5. I didn't like them, either and I could more or less blend. They were full of people chainsmoking ostentatiously while looking out of the corners of their eyes to make sure they were being noticed.

Not my bag, either.

I'm sorry they made you feel like a bug on a plate. Just know that you probably weren't alone feeling uncomfortable in the club scene.

whathehell  (1000+ posts)     Mon Oct-26-09 06:53 PM
Response to Reply #2

10. Doesn't that suck?

I know the feeling...I USED to be svelte in that other lifetime of Youth.

At middle age, I started putting on the pounds, and even though I'm not "huge"...or "hugh" in DU terms...I started taking dancing lessons and my "teacher" is not only 30 years younger than me but he is built like a very tall Pencil...I'm not kidding.

"Not huge" in "DU terms" is something along the lines of less than 400 pounds.

keroro gunsou  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 09:31 PM
Response to Reply #2

20. first time i went clubbing

i was the biggest person there, awash in all teh pretty people. no one treated me differently, though they did find that my sketchbook and copics were somewhat off-putting. I was drawing the people as i sat there nursing a drinking and listening to a very bad dj who really needed to be introduced to the chemical brothers.

Texasgal  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 05:10 PM

4. The picture at the link does not look like a bunch of overweight people, they look normal to me?

Matariki  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 05:13 PM
Response to Reply #4

6. I guess that's 'fat' in Southern California?

Indy Lurker (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 05:15 PM
Response to Reply #4

7. visit their website for more photos

http://www.clubbounce.net/photos.htm

after which a photograph of four hefty chicks

snagglepuss (909 posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 08:33 PM
Response to Reply #4

13. Speaking as someone who is overweight, those girls are definitely overweight,

No one is giganticus but they are packing.

msongs  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 06:39 PM

8. which is cheaper, paying to go to a nightclub and dance/drink or joining a gym? Either way these people are getting some exercise, which is good.

Missy Vixen  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 06:49 PM

9. I think it's great

It's also nice to have somewhere to go to get away from those who think anyone over a size 4 is subhuman.

Too bad we can't have a "Club Bounce" here, huh?

Johonny  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 06:59 PM

11. they closed the one by me

the crowd was generally rowdy and the cops got called one to many times I guess. 

K8-EEE  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 08:38 PM

14. Why do so many of them dress like hookers?

after which a photograph of a fat chick trying to look sultry

I mean come on.....I know that the "politically correct" thing is "good for them" but honestly the photos to me are just sad. People go out to clubs for attention anyway I guess but these girls are seemingly SCREAMING for attention.

Curtland1015  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 08:41 PM
Response to Reply #14

15. Meh. It's half the fun for most people that go to clubs, getting all dolled up.

I can't stand going to them myself, and I don't enjoy getting dressed up even when I HAVE TO... but some people enjoy it. More power to them I guess.

bevoette (522 posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 08:44 PM
Response to Reply #14

16. her 'girls' are screaming something alright

bevoette (522 posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 08:45 PM
Response to Reply #14

17. but really...they no more look like hookers than thin women do

hoochie is hoochie, size 2 or size 22

DemBones DemBones (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 08:57 PM
Response to Reply #14

18. Because that's the image men like?

If you look at the four women in the photo above, the only thing "hookerish" is that they're showing a good bit of cleavage, but it's difficult for large-breasted women *not* to show a good bit of cleavage, particularly the way dresses are designed for plus-size women, or any size woman, for that matter. Clothing designers create some strange and unflattering clothes for women.

Texasgal  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 09:33 PM
Response to Reply #19

21. why is that? 

is it because they aren't a size TWO?

Curtland1015  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 09:35 PM
Response to Reply #21

22. I'm not answering for him, but I'll tell you what creeps ME out about it...

...those giant fake fingernails. I've always hated those things.

The truemud primitive, who chased the cboy4 primitive off Skins's island:

trumad  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 09:56 PM
Response to Reply #21

23. because her fashion is ****ing hideous...

Size two's can look just as bad.

after which the photograph of a light woman

Texasgal  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 10:11 PM
Response to Reply #23

24. Uh huh. 

I believe you.

trumad  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 10:20 PM
Response to Reply #24

26. Well---this might be politically incorrect as well...

but I don't a flying **** if you believe me.

Le Taz Hot  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 09:52 AM
Response to Reply #14

30. Lots of people like to dress up and go out.

It's not my idea attractive, but then again, it doesn't have to be. The point is, I think overweight people long to go out and strut their stuff just like anyone else. If an establishment wants to provide a comfortable venue in which to do that I say more power to 'em.

One hopes Fat Che, whose belly flaps and sags down in front of him as if an apron, doesn't "strut his stuff."  Ugh.

varelse  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 10:19 PM

25. Interesting statistic here

The club, with a capacity of 400, attracts relatively equal numbers of men and women, although Garbo says about three-quarters of the women tend to be heavy, while only about a quarter of the men are.

K8-EEE  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 08:22 AM
Response to Reply #25

29. REALITY CHECK: The men are showing up to get laid.

And they think the overweight women have low self-esteem and are an easy mark. I have a dear friend who got burnt in this whole "chubby chaser" club scene (not this one but a different "meet up" every month.) Her self esteem was in the toilet after gaining weight and her husband had walked out on her, he was an ass and she was better off without him. But then she finds these "men who love BBW's" sub culture and got taken advantage of and hurt big time.

Beware to anybody looking for "a relationship" or "to feel good about themselves" in creepy bar scenes of any description, but sorry I think this whole scene is just sad.

Maybe that's what happened to the subway cat circa 20 years ago.

Le Taz Hot  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 09:56 AM
Response to Reply #29

31. Huh?

Or it could be that there are LOTS of men out there who don't appreciate bony stick figures. Oh, and news flash! A good portion of men go to clubs to get laid, regardless of "theme." Your comments apply to all people, not just those who are overweight.

AnnieBW  (1000+ posts)        Mon Oct-26-09 11:39 PM

28. Oh, if I was young and single...

I'd go to this club in a heartbeat. I was always the "fat wing-woman" who wound up going home alone at the end of the night. Or hanging out with the loser friends of the guys that my friends picked up. Joke's on them, though. I found a good guy - NOT at a club. One that appreciates me for who I am.

The clueless primitive:

ddeclue  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 09:57 AM

32. EWW!!!

lose weight stop making excuses.. fat is NOT attractive.

EOTE (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:30 AM
Response to Reply #32

34. Most people don't find morons attractive either.

So be happy that some do. Just sayin'.

ddeclue  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:32 AM
Response to Reply #34

36. Speak for yourself.

EOTE (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:35 AM
Response to Reply #36

37. I'm speaking for the majority. That's why I said MOST.

Most people don't like to be around judgmental idiots. Lucky for you, some people have a complete lack of self esteem and take what they can get.

ddeclue  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:54 AM
Response to Reply #37

40. You're blabbing for yourself friend. Get over yourself.

It's simple: exercise MORE. Eat LESS.

STOP making excuses.

EOTE (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:59 AM
Response to Reply #40

41. It's oh so simple, friend. Simply gain 50 IQ points.

Then you can happily consider yourself of mediocre intelligence. Listen, you need to stop making excuses. Being stupid may be an excuse, but being ignorant is not. Spend some time at a library, watch a documentary. Anything to get that extremely under utilized brain of yours some work. I know you've most likely got a mind numbing job you work at and probably don't feel like exercising that puny muscle in your head all that much when you get home, but a mere 45 minutes of a mental work out per day will do wonders.

And here's another thing that may blow your mind, you have no idea what I look like. I, however, have more than enough evidence that you're a moron. So please, do the world a favor and better yourself.

STOP making excuses.

ddeclue  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 11:01 AM
Response to Reply #41

42. SAT score 1410/1600 - Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering Georgia Tech

If I gained 50 more IQ points I'd be doing better than Einstein.

You can stop talking already because you've lost pal. Now go to the gym and lose some weight.

lunatica  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:43 AM
Response to Reply #32

39. then don't go to their clubs

You just couldn't help yourself right? Just had to spew the toxin or gag on it right?

Some people just can't help showing their true colors

after which a photograph of something with a red rump

Toucano  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 10:19 AM

33. Segregation never feels right to me.

But if they can have a good time, I guess I wouldn't complain.

EOTE (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:38 AM
Response to Reply #33

38. I don't think this is anything like segregation.

As noted in the OP, only about a quarter of the males and about half of the people there in general are overweight. So it doesn't seem as if anyone is prohibited from coming to the club. This club only differs in that the overweight are welcome.

guitar man  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 10:31 AM

35. Good for them

I'd like to go just to watch (can't touch since I'm married). I luvs me some big women
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chump

Re: primitives discuss night club for fat people
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:46:38 AM »
The movement for equal rights for plus-sized people...

These people have no idea how much they degrade the meaning of "rights."

Then again, maybe they do...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
Okay, so how do you tell who's the one playing wingman?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
The old ones

BTW...I'm both old and fat
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
Ok, a couple of things

Missy Vixen  (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 06:49 PM

9. I think it's great

It's also nice to have somewhere to go to get away from those who think anyone over a size 4 is subhuman.

Too bad we can't have a "Club Bounce" here, huh?

Always the extreme right? Most women are not a size 4. I'd venture and say with great confidence that average for women is not a size 4. I'm an 8/10...more 10 and most people would say my build at this point is average. Heavier women always go to extremes like this. I know, I was one. The venture from a sz 20 to a sz 14 isn't so hard as the one from sz 14 to sz 4 and most people would consider you pretty well average or just a little chunky at 14 so no, one does not have to go to extremes. I do notice people treat you differently, but you don't have to get to a size 4 for that to happen. Just get more proportionate should be enough and take enough fat off the face so people can actually discern your features.

Le Taz Hot  (1000+ posts)      Tue Oct-27-09 09:56 AM
Response to Reply #29

31. Huh?

Or it could be that there are LOTS of men out there who don't appreciate bony stick figures. Oh, and news flash! A good portion of men go to clubs to get laid, regardless of "theme." Your comments apply to all people, not just those who are overweight.

Don't fool yourself sister. There are plenty of guys who much like the scumbags that go after teenagers, go after chunkies because they are indeed easier targets. I have found that men do appreciate a good figure that isn't bony, but that doesn't generally mean a size 20...it means a woman of average size with a nice figure who takes care of herself. As I said, I'm a size 8/10 and far from bony. I think this is more what men mean when they say they don't like bony...they prefer average or a little teeny bit more then average. If a man appreciates you a whole lot heavier, it's probably because he loves you for other things, but that's a developed relationship over time and it isn't going to happen in a bar anymore then it would for a smaller woman who is only being appreciated for the goods she has on display.  :whatever:

And being overweight...THAT overweight is NOT healthy! May not have caught up with the girls at the bar yet because they are 23, but it isn't healthy. One could not focus on losing weight if they were so proud and start picking up healthy habits and they would still lose weight so what does that stay about their lifestyle? They aren't living a healthy one no matter what they say. Hell I battle some mild thyroid issues, perimenopause, and a slower metabolism and I still managed to drop a lot of weight and reshape my body. It can be done. This lip service is just wasting these gals time and opening them up for users to swoop in and take advantage of their low self-esteem(and propping your boobs up in a bustier does not mean you have high self-esteem ladies).

ETA I have nothing wrong with this idea for a club though--this is what the free market system is all about and there is a market for it, but much like ddclue(and I've disagreed with that asshat before) I do think they shouldn't cloak making themselves feel better in a dishonest position of being grossly overweight as being healthy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:23:46 AM by jtyangel »

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »
The old ones

BTW...I'm both old and fat

Not as big as these gals, Ree, and you and I have earned our place in being heavier if/when we get there by virtue of having some years on us and more working against us. A 23 year old gal generally has the energy and metabolism to lose extra weight and the time by virtue of having less responsibilities then women 10 or 20 years older then them. These gals are cheating themselves really.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »
DemBones DemBones (1000+ posts)      Mon Oct-26-09 08:57 PM
Response to Reply #14

18. Because that's the image men like?

I have never and will never go to a "club". I do not think I would like anyone I saw there, I defintely do NOT respect them.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:38:26 PM »
I'll be the first to open a nightclub for the obese.

I'll call it: The Veal Pen.

Instead of olives I'll use butter pats in the martinis.

The dance floor will self-squeegee.

The vending machines in the bathrooms will dispense condoms, bacon-scented cologne and Twizzlers so you can hide them under your belly rolls and play Find-the-Yummies with that special someone.

Instead of barstools I'll take the hoods off of VW bugs, turn them upside-down and pad them.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
What day is Ladies Night? :lmao:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »
I wonder if the DUmmies would think this was such a great idea if it were a club for only skinny people.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
I think this is more what men mean when they say they don't like bony...

I like bony bythches    :evillaugh:

Have these DUmmies even been into any night club lately, they all look like they are fat people only. There is a real lack of eye candy out there any more.

When I was younger, spent alot of time in clubs, even worked part time as a bouncer at a few of them, it was alot different. I was a few pounds overweight, but simply had no problem having different dates all the time. Now these women sit at the bar and not only do they drink, they eat the whole time...hard to slow dance with a woman with a bag of chips in her arms.  :evillaugh:

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 01:08:19 PM »
If they charge by the pound to get in....that's a money maker.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 01:12:35 PM »
I'll be the first to open a nightclub for the obese.Instead of barstools I'll take the hoods off of VW bugs, turn them upside-down and pad them.

gargantua needs one in Las Vegas.

He could be Kingpin! or Pigpen.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 01:14:44 PM »

good one!  :rotf:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »
good one!  :rotf:

Whichever one weighs less is wingman. (what is a wingman?)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 01:59:50 PM »
If they charge by the pound to get in....that's a money maker.

Damn.

That's an admirable observation, well worthy of research.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 02:32:50 PM »
Random thoughts: 
Good Lord, those are the skankiest women I've ever seen. 
That person who said "Size 2 can look just as bad" and showed a picture of an actress in evening dress.  The actress looks of pretty normal build to me, not "bad."  It wasn't Calista Flockhart at her worst or anything. 
There is nothing like the subject of weight to start a DUmmie fight. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »
Random thoughts: 
Good Lord, those are the skankiest women I've ever seen. 
That person who said "Size 2 can look just as bad" and showed a picture of an actress in evening dress.  The actress looks of pretty normal build to me, not "bad."  It wasn't Calista Flockhart at her worst or anything. 
There is nothing like the subject of weight to start a DUmmie fight. 

I'll take a size 12 over something like this anytime, thank you.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 02:45:36 PM »
Not as big as these gals, Ree, and you and I have earned our place in being heavier if/when we get there by virtue of having some years on us and more working against us. A 23 year old gal generally has the energy and metabolism to lose extra weight and the time by virtue of having less responsibilities then women 10 or 20 years older then them. These gals are cheating themselves really.
At 23 I was prolly a size 9.... I got down to a size 6 by 33....by 40 I had starved myself down to a size 4...now at almost 50 my metabolism is so screwed up I'm a porker(but at 5'8" I can hide it well)LOL
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Chump

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 02:47:28 PM »
I'll take a size 12 over something like this anytime, thank you.

ACK!

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 02:32:36 AM »
What day is Ladies Night? :lmao:

Every night.  :evillaugh:

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »
Don't worry. They'll all be thin once Obama starts issuing rationing cards for food to keep health care costs down for the gubmint.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 08:27:38 AM »
Gigantor Primitive will have to find a ride. He could OWN that club, as he will be the fattest of them all. Bow down to the FAT.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
These people have no idea how much they degrade the meaning of "rights."

Then again, maybe they do...

That was my first thought. What constitutional rights do other people have that are being denied to fat people?

Offline Duchess

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 08:35:05 AM »
K8-EEE  (1000+ posts)        Tue Oct-27-09 08:22 AM
Response to Reply #25

29. REALITY CHECK: The men are showing up to get laid.

And they think the overweight women have low self-esteem and are an easy mark. I have a dear friend who got burnt in this whole "chubby chaser" club scene (not this one but a different "meet up" every month.) Her self esteem was in the toilet after gaining weight and her husband had walked out on her, he was an ass and she was better off without him. But then she finds these "men who love BBW's" sub culture and got taken advantage of and hurt big time.

Beware to anybody looking for "a relationship" or "to feel good about themselves" in creepy bar scenes of any description, but sorry I think this whole scene is just sad.

I have to admit, this DUmmy is correct. Of course it's true that this applies in general to the whole club scene. Men may be looking for women at these places, but they're not looking for wives amongst a bunch of women dressed like hookers, fat or not.