Author Topic: Conservatives roar; Republicans tremble  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Chump

Re: Conservatives roar; Republicans tremble
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 09:31:52 AM »
No. George W. Bush was a great American president and his administration was great with Karl Rove and Dick Cheney, real American patriots.
When the dust clears, W. will be in the same ranks with other great presidents --Reagan and Teddy Roosevelt.

We got a mediocre candidate in McCain, with a Palin firing up the base. I think there is a tad bit too much habitual McCain bashing on this site.
I think people forget that he has a strong stomach for the war on terror. A stomach as strong as W.'s and his administration.
McCain's domestic policy is unacceptable with the exception for his support for tax cuts and his strong pro-life stance.

I think most people on here know I'm a Karl Rove/Rush Limbaugh conservative. I am much more focused on real RINO's than I am on attacking conservatives who are left on a couple of issues/ made mistakes.

I'm with you (sort of) on your overall point, but my gripe with Bush isn't over some small side-issue or minor mistake.  Bush's legacy will always be tarnished by TARP1 and the bailouts.  Always.  A truly great, conservative president does not say, "I've abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system."

For all the good he did, he left us with the economic climate that set the stage for Obama's porkulus bullshit.  That's exactly why standing up for fiscal conservatism was so crucial then, and why his error was so grave.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »

Hi,

We lost the election in the primaries.  Insanity is definded as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  When was the only time in my almost 70 years that the Republicans held the presidency and the majority in congress???  Major hint, it was when Gingrich led the contract for America...

Duh!  Sooner or later, hopefully sooner, the Republicans better wake up.  I don't know why the recent elections did not jolt them into reality but it did not seem to.

regards,

You are correct about the primaries.  And to this day here in the Granite  State I have yet to find a Republican who will admit to voting for Mc Lame in the primary.   My guess is that there was a lot of cross over voting in the Republican primaries but that is only a guess.  

About Newt.  That is another matter as it did not take too long into his reign for the wheels to fall off the wagon.  I am beginning to wonder if Newt was only in the right place at the right time rather than being an enduring "great statesman", I think the 23rd New York race will leave many asking that same question.  His response will be telling. (I see it a lot like taking the "no tax pledge" here in New Hampshire)
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »
I'm with you (sort of) on your overall point, but my gripe with Bush isn't over some small side-issue or minor mistake.  Bush's legacy will always be tarnished by TARP1 and the bailouts.  Always.  A truly great, conservative president does not say, "I've abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system."

For all the good he did, he left us with the economic climate that set the stage for Obama's porkulus bullshit.  That's exactly why standing up for fiscal conservatism was so crucial then, and why his error was so grave.

BINGO
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »
Name another great conservative Republican president besides Reagan.

I'm not as old as some of the members here, and I was just a kid in 1976 and 1980, but, IIRC, Reagan was not exactly welcomed by the Republican leadership at first. He had to drag the party kicking and screaming toward conservative values. Am I wrong here?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »

From my perspective, GWB didn't do shit during his last year in office of any political significance - he supported those in harm's way, to be sure, but he didn't fight the Pelosi/Reid connection in virtually any way. It was like he was ROAD.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 10:09:26 AM »

I'm not as old as some of the members here, and I was just a kid in 1976 and 1980, but, IIRC, Reagan was not exactly welcomed by the Republican leadership at first. He had to drag the party kicking and screaming toward conservative values. Am I wrong here?

In the time that I can remember, I'd rank Nixon behind Reagan, and ahead of others. Okay, flame away.

Offline Chump

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »
From my perspective, GWB didn't do shit during his last year in office of any political significance - he supported those in harm's way, to be sure, but he didn't fight the Pelosi/Reid connection in virtually any way. It was like he was ROAD.

I'm with you there.  It seemed like he just sighed and accepted it.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »

You're right.

In 1976, when Reagan named U.S. Senator Richard Schweiker (R-Pennsylvania) as his candidate for the vice-presidency if he (Reagan) got the Republican nomination, it was to soothe, to calm, sigificant portions of the Republican establishment.

In case you didn't know, Schweiker at the time was the most liberal U.S. Senator, period, of both parties.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »
Quote from: NHSparky
No, RINO's voted for Juan McAmnesty.  CONSERVATIVES voted for Palin.  

It was a compromise.  I refuse to compromise anymore.  I would have rather stayed home (I did not).  That would have sent a message as well.  

[McCain] failed. Utterly. And he added insult to injury when he allowed his handlers to "handle" Palin the way they did.

Sorry, but I think you are belittling her by saying this.*  Did she have no mind or will of her own?  Did McCain think for her?  Palin allowed herself to be handled badly, and everyone paid the price.  Any respect I had for her values was compromised by her willingness to be led.

*tell me, do you believe the Beatles' split was Yoko's fault?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:09:45 PM by SherryBaby »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »
It was a compromise.  I refuse to compromise anymore.  I would have rather stayed home (I did not).  That would have sent a message as well.  

Sorry, but I think you are belittling her by saying this.*  Did she have no mind or will of her own?  Did McCain think for her?  Palin allowed herself to be handled badly, and everyone paid the price.  Any respect I had for her values was compromised by her willingness to be led.

*tell me, do you believe the Beatles' split was Yoko's fault?

I think that Palin didn't realize the extent of the game and the backlash that was confronting her. I believe she was entirely willing to be led during a campaign of this nature - and I dare say that most reasonable people would do the exact same thing.

Sarah Palin very much has a mind of her own. But reasonable people are going to listen to counsel and guidance when in unfamiliar territory - as she certainly was. In fact, I have much more respect for her now than I did at the beginning of the campaign, most certainly because of her wisdom in listening to guidance AND in taking definitive action vis a vis resigning the Alaskan governership.

In a world of career politicians who stop at nothing to ensure that they're reelected (Arlen Specter anyone?) Sarah has the 'nads to tell the system to pound sand - that she'll do it her way.

I like that kind of stuff. A lot.   :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 02:09:31 PM »
I think that Palin didn't realize the extent of the game and the backlash that was confronting her. I believe she was entirely willing to be led during a campaign of this nature - and I dare say that most reasonable people would do the exact same thing.

Sarah Palin very much has a mind of her own. But reasonable people are going to listen to counsel and guidance when in unfamiliar territory - as she certainly was. In fact, I have much more respect for her now than I did at the beginning of the campaign, most certainly because of her wisdom in listening to guidance AND in taking definitive action vis a vis resigning the Alaskan governership.

In a world of career politicians who stop at nothing to ensure that they're reelected (Arlen Specter anyone?) Sarah has the 'nads to tell the system to pound sand - that she'll do it her way.

I like that kind of stuff. A lot.   :cheersmate:

When she resigned my respect for her went up. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 04:35:11 PM »
Speaking of conservatives and Republicans, I think the dem and rep parties should be renamed and a new party formed. Maybe I'm just imagining things, but many of the members of today's Republican Party seem to be more in line with the Dems from 15 or 20 years ago. With that in mind, I'd rename the Republican Party to the Democrat Party. As the current Democrat Party is full of fruits and nuts with the brain power of a vegetable I would rename the Dems the Garden Party. Then I would form a Conservative Party made up of real conservatives who have been left behind by the Reps.

Offline ReaganForRushmore

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 05:34:14 PM »

I am an old fart....

Reagan was the finest individual groomed for President.

Eisenhower was another excellent choice

Other than that, I'd say slim pickens for the Office.

Offline ReaganForRushmore

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 05:45:29 PM »
the script for 2010 and beyond.....

Political Ads
Run Reagan's speech in 1947 on socialized medicine, The tenets are still strong today and still germane.

Run the simple but effective ad from 1980 with Reagan saying are you better off now than you were four years ago?

Run Reagan's city on the hill speech.

The left will scream and witch about Reagan is so passe'.....

until you realize that it was his principles that are timeless......

Limited Government,
Strong National Defense.
Lower taxes, and two little things called
Freedom and
Liberty

But to truly win, you need people who will adhere and build upon these precepts

Rubio of Florida

Palin of Alaska

any one else is part of the 2 party cabal known as Replocrats and Demicians.