Author Topic: What car do you drive?  (Read 10363 times)

Offline bkg

Re: What car do you drive?
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2009, 07:04:33 PM »
No, FWD, 6 cylinder.  Never owned a Toyota....a friend at work just told me their service department is horrible and one of the worst rated.  Is this true, for any of you toyota owners????

I can't say they compare to the Lexus dealer in any way, but they haven't been horrible for me.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
I can't say they compare to the Lexus dealer in any way, but they haven't been horrible for me.

SIGH....

One thing that worries me is that the DIRECTOR of the finance department will not return my phonecalls!  I want to know what my interest rate will be and my salesperson tells me he'd rather discuss it with me in person.  To me, this is a bit shady.  I will be financing 50% of the car, so my rate better be low...his hesitancy to discuss this with me is worrisome.

Offline debk

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
SIGH....

One thing that worries me is that the DIRECTOR of the finance department will not return my phonecalls!  I want to know what my interest rate will be and my salesperson tells me he'd rather discuss it with me in person.  To me, this is a bit shady.  I will be financing 50% of the car, so my rate better be low...his hesitancy to discuss this with me is worrisome.

You've signed for the car and you don't know what you are going to be actually paying for it?

Ruh-roh....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2009, 07:27:49 PM »
SIGH....

One thing that worries me is that the DIRECTOR of the finance department will not return my phonecalls!  I want to know what my interest rate will be and my salesperson tells me he'd rather discuss it with me in person.  To me, this is a bit shady.  I will be financing 50% of the car, so my rate better be low...his hesitancy to discuss this with me is worrisome.

It's a game dealers play to make more money.  You get approved for "x" rate and the dealer charges you "y".  The difference between x and y is profit to the dealer.  Print out the rates from a local credit union website and bring that with you - you should get at least that or better at the dealer, if you can't just go through the credit union (membership is usually a $25.00 checking account).  No matter what the finance director tells you just remember that he or she is the last place the dealer can make money on you.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:30:04 PM by RightCoast »
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »
Are you going for the 100,000 mile toyota service plan??
nine eleven is a car

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »
You've signed for the car and you don't know what you are going to be actually paying for it?

Ruh-roh....

Nooooooo....I pick it up on Thursday because they had to find the car for me. 

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2009, 07:47:09 PM »
Print out the rates from a local credit union website and bring that with you - you should get at least that or better at the dealer,

I've already done that.  :-)

I didn't know you could talk down rates though...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:50:12 PM by Hawkgirl »

Offline bkg

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »
SIGH....

Had a similar problem with a warranty. Eventually got it straightened out, but it was a PITA.

Are the seats better than the RX350?  :-)

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2009, 08:04:26 PM »
I've already done that.  :-)

Absolutely.  Though the finance director will make it hard having the printout - and not showing it too early, is vital.

The 100k service contract is another place the dealer makes a little money, MSRP is somewhere between $1,200 - $2,500 depending on vehicle and equipment (Hybrid and navigation cost more) and cost is usually closer to 50% of that.  I got the 100k package MSRP $1,400 +/- for under $600.  Finance people make their commissions off the rate they charge and the profit in the service contract.  They tend to kick and scream when you talk them down but nothing is more satisfying.
nine eleven is a car

Offline debk

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »
I've already done that.  :-)

they want you to funance it through them, not your bank or credit union.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »
they want you to funance it through them, not your bank or credit union.

Yes, I know..but they may be competitive if I show them what I CAN(and will) get if they don't offer me a fair rate.
When I bought my Lexus a while back, they tried to use the "but it will increase your credit score" angel. :whatever:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
Are you going for the 100,000 mile toyota service plan??

We haven't discussed that yet. 

Offline debk

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2009, 08:27:18 PM »
Yes, I know..but they may be competitive if I show them what I CAN(and will) get if they don't offer me a fair rate.
When I bought my Lexus a while back, they tried to use the "but it will increase your credit score" angel. :whatever:

They should be willing to at least match the rates from wherever else you have checked...you just need to be prepared to get the loan from the other place if Toyota won't match the lower rate.

It's just like when you got your mortgage....

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2009, 09:48:40 PM »
We haven't discussed that yet.  (In reference to extended service plans)

I was just recently researching the idea of picking up a Toyota pick up, before I settled on a Jeep.  There were quite a few links on Edmunds.com's Toyota specific forums and ToyotaNation.com for salespeople at dealerships who would sell over the phone, extended service contracts at huge discounts.  The profit margins on them are sickening.  I'll try and find one of the individual threads in a bit. 

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser. Once you drive a 'Cruiser, everything else will seem like flimsy crap......even other Toyotas. Probably the most rock-solid vehicle ever made for civilian use.
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline bkg

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2009, 10:04:59 PM »
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser. Once you drive a 'Cruiser, everything else will seem like flimsy crap......even other Toyotas. Probably the most rock-solid vehicle ever made for civilian use.

e-lockers?  :cheersmate:

Offline Mustang

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »
2010 Ford Mustang

Great muscle car
Big and loud engine -4.0 liter 12 valve V-6
Gets 16 city/ 24 hwy mileage.

oh and very sexy...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:16:01 PM by Mustang »

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »
This is what I have but its not the one I own. Its a 2004 Pontaic Grand Am.

But if I win the Powerball then its one of these.

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
But if I win the Powerball then its one of these.

We don't have the Powerball here anymore, but we do have Megamillions. If I win that, it'll be these:

I'll still, however, keep this:

NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Mustang

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2009, 11:23:16 PM »

Holy crap, is that your house? A house that big is worth a fortune in New Jersey, where I live.
Dual garage, 2 story brick house and you own a beemer? You must live in a state with low property taxes and low real estate or you are semi-rich. 

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2009, 11:30:49 PM »
I was just recently researching the idea of picking up a Toyota pick up, before I settled on a Jeep.  There were quite a few links on Edmunds.com's Toyota specific forums and ToyotaNation.com for salespeople at dealerships who would sell over the phone, extended service contracts at huge discounts.  The profit margins on them are sickening.  I'll try and find one of the individual threads in a bit. 

UGH!  I will take RC's advice and offer half of what they say.  If they flinch; then I'll opt out.

Offline debk

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2009, 12:52:02 AM »
Holy crap, is that your house? A house that big is worth a fortune in New Jersey, where I live.
Dual garage, 2 story brick house and you own a beemer? You must live in a state with low property taxes and low real estate or you are semi-rich. 

You need to move to the South.... :-)

I don't live in the same state that Kev does, but we don't have state income taxes, though our sales tax is high.

I live in a gated subdivision, with 30 homes, we have 3.2 acres and our property taxes are under $5000/yr.

Property is much much cheaper here than in the NE.

Offline atruevoice

• omg paris hilton lol
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2009, 01:07:29 AM »
I personally like the Acura MDX if you are looking for an SUV, I actually am also in the market for a new car, my lease is up in December, I should be getting an Acura TSX, Acura is the Luxury brand for Honda so they are solid built vehicles, but if you already own a Mercedes you may be dissapointed with anything else. The MDX is a really nice looking and comfortable SUV.

Offline atruevoice

• omg paris hilton lol
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2009, 01:10:47 AM »
Another really cool car is the Ford Flex, its kind of odd looking on the outside but inside it is like riding in a Limo, they also have the Microsoft SYNC technology, this is actually the car that my father has as his compnay vehicle, it somewhat resembles the old station wagons of the sixtys but is the size of an SUV, it has a glass ceiling in the back, power liftgate and his even has a refrigerator in the back seat, great vehicle if you have kids and Ford has come a long way really being an exemplary American car company.

Offline Mustang

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2009, 01:24:37 AM »
You need to move to the South.... :-)

I don't live in the same state that Kev does, but we don't have state income taxes, though our sales tax is high.

I live in a gated subdivision, with 30 homes, we have 3.2 acres and our property taxes are under $5000/yr.

Property is much much cheaper here than in the NE.

New Jersey has the highest property taxes in the country thanks to Gov. Corzine. So we need to vote his ass out with Chris Christie!
I would never buy a house in New Jersey, I would rather rent a large apartment for the rest of my life. You have to have a pretty big combined income to afford a house in New Jersey or New York.

I like living in New Jersey though, the weather is nice, not too hot and short summers, cold winters (I love snow). Easy access to New York City without having to pay New York cost of living. Decent economy compared to the rest of the country. The turnpike and parkway give you easy access to get anywhere in the state. Lots of cool and trendy cities.  I was born here and I'll probably die here.