Author Topic: Secret Service Probing Obama Assassination Poll on Facebook  (Read 18027 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Secret Service Probing Obama Assassination Poll on Facebook
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »
I don't think people should get arrested for talking.

Good.  Then I want you down at the nearest major airport, inside a terminal area, waving to someone and yelling, "HI, JACK!"
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »
Ya see?  There ya go, making sense!

Tell me, Deuce, do you think the policeman in HERE used sound judgement, or should the assclown in question have simply gone her merry way?

Believe it or not, I had discussions with people (Kelly from the now-defunct SCC) who saw nothing wrong with this person's actions.

The idiot is lucky to still be among the living, IMO.

Offline bkg

« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2009, 11:09:43 AM »
Good.  Then I want you down at the nearest major airport, inside a terminal area, waving to someone and yelling, "HI, JACK!"

I agree with him, though. Talk/Thought should not be punishable. I recognize the limits of the 1st, but that goal post is being moved constantly, and I'm frustrated.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2009, 11:17:19 AM »
I agree with him, though. Talk/Thought should not be punishable. I recognize the limits of the 1st, but that goal post is being moved constantly, and I'm frustrated.

If you want a single rule of thumb that keeps that goal post in the crosshairs, I've found this one works:  Don't say anything for which you aren't willing to take full responsibility.  It's amazing how often that little rule keeps me out of anal probes by humorless civil servants (actually they aren't truly humorless; it's just that they've heard the same stupid joke only 70 times a day, every single working day of their adult life, and IT ISN"T FRIKKIN' FUNNY ANY *******ED MORE!!!!!!!11111eleventyeleventyone!!).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bkg

« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2009, 11:22:10 AM »
If you want a single rule of thumb that keeps that goal post in the crosshairs, I've found this one works:  Don't say anything for which you aren't willing to take full responsibility.  It's amazing how often that little rule keeps me out of anal probes by humorless civil servants (actually they aren't truly humorless; it's just that they've heard the same stupid joke only 70 times a day, every single working day of their adult life, and IT ISN"T FRIKKIN' FUNNY ANY *******ED MORE!!!!!!!11111eleventyeleventyone!!).

Problem with that... Thirty years ago, one could tell a joke and never have to worry about "taking responsibility" for it. But the line has moved a LOT, and that same joke could likely get one fired.

So your model, while simple, limits the crap out of free speech.

Offline Chump

« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »
Don't say anything for which you aren't willing to take full responsibility.

:cheersmate:

Rights are self-limiting.  Yours end where another's begin.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Chump

« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »
Problem with that... Thirty years ago, one could tell a joke and never have to worry about "taking responsibility" for it. But the line has moved a LOT, and that same joke could likely get one fired.

The right to free speech is not absolute.  Specifically, your right to free speech amounts to the government having no authority to limit your speech in any way, so long as it does not infringe on anyone else's rights.

You have no right to expect the same from your employer.  They can limit the crap out of your free speech.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »

While things were much different 30 years, I think more was changed by 9-11. There is also the wider schism between the left and the right, which seems to have outlawed political humor, and makes it all into political attacks or RACISM !!!!!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2009, 11:35:28 AM »
While things were much different 30 years, I think more was changed by 9-11. There is also the wider schism between the left and the right, which seems to have outlawed political humor, and makes it all into political attacks or RACISM !!!!!

Bingo. There was once a time when I could actually tell ethnic jokes with a person of that persuasion (close personal friend), but no longer.

Being politically correct has completely overtaken the sensibilities of everybody. If you value your job, if you want to stay out of court, if you just want to survive another day, political/ethnic/racial/gender jokes are completely verboten.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline bkg

« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:34 AM »
The right to free speech is not absolute.  Specifically, your right to free speech amounts to the government having no authority to limit your speech in any way, so long as it does not infringe on anyone else's rights.

You have no right to expect the same from your employer.  They can limit the crap out of your free speech.

I have major concerns with anythign not being absolute, frankly. Because if we take that position, then we've effectively given permission to take everything away under the guise of safety, or fairness or anythign else. I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, but I can't get logic wrapped around a moveable line.

How does speach infringe on another person's rights?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »
I have major concerns with anythign not being absolute, frankly. Because if we take that position, then we've effectively given permission to take everything away under the guise of safety, or fairness or anythign else. I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, but I can't get logic wrapped around a moveable line.

Ummm, I would interpret his comment to mean that governments are held to absolutes (or should be) while organizations apart from governments may set their own rules vis a vis speech.

The examples used as limitations to free speech, i.e., yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, etc., frequently employ the use of logic (which, by definition, isn't absolute) in the interest of public safety.

But hell, what do I know? I'm just a freakin' musician.  :-)

Offline Chump

« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:05 AM »

I said free speech is not absolute within the context of an employer-employee contract.

To your question, I'll offer a simple example.  Perjury or bearing false witness is technically "just speech."  However, it can lead to someone being falsely imprisoned, infringing on their right to liberty and/or life.  The right to life and liberty cannot be infringed without due process.  That process is perverted by perjury (again, technically just speech) so we very rightly limit speech in that way.  The right to free speech for you ends when your speech infringes on another's right to life and liberty.

Offline bkg

« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »
I said free speech is not absolute within the context of an employer-employee contract.

Got it - read it wrong.

To your question, I'll offer a simple example.  Perjury or bearing false witness is technically "just speech."  However, it can lead to someone being falsely imprisoned, infringing on their right to liberty and/or life.  The right to life and liberty cannot be infringed without due process.  That process is perverted by perjury (again, technically just speech) so we very rightly limit speech in that way.  The right to free speech for you ends when your speech infringes on another's right to life and liberty.

fair enough.

Offline Chump

« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2009, 11:51:36 AM »
Got it - read it wrong.

I was just about to post and correct myself.  I didn't clearly say what I meant, so you didn't really get anything wrong.  I think we're on the same page now though.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2009, 01:17:52 PM »
Bingo. There was once a time when I could actually tell ethnic jokes with a person of that persuasion (close personal friend), but no longer.

Being politically correct has completely overtaken the sensibilities of everybody. If you value your job, if you want to stay out of court, if you just want to survive another day, political/ethnic/racial/gender jokes are completely verboten.

You can still make jokes about southern redneck/crackers without reprisal from the left. Of course Christians are fair game also.

Offline bkg

« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
You can still make jokes about southern redneck/crackers without reprisal from the left. Of course Christians are fair game also.

The correct term is "White honkey cracker." Please use correctly.  :-)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2009, 01:26:35 PM »
The correct term is "White honkey cracker." Please use correctly.  :-)

I dunno.  I just recently replaced my green car, named Greenie, with a white one that I named Whitey.  I was told I ought not to do that because people would think I was racist.  Say wha?

Please keep in mind that I am not of the mindset to name cars.  When the green one started having major problems, as I was speaking of it, they asked me what it's name was.  :mental: I just said Greenie.  Stands to reason, the white one by default is now Whitey.  But why I can't use that word is beyond me.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »

But hell, what do I know? I'm just a freakin' musician.  :-)

Ya know, musicians typically have an IQ higher than average. Although, since you were in the Army, that does raise a question on the validity of that premise.  :popcorn:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
I dunno.  I just recently replaced my green car, named Greenie, with a white one that I named Whitey.  I was told I ought not to do that because people would think I was racist.  Say wha?

Please keep in mind that I am not of the mindset to name cars.  When the green one started having major problems, as I was speaking of it, they asked me what it's name was.  :mental: I just said Greenie.  Stands to reason, the white one by default is now Whitey.  But why I can't use that word is beyond me.
I had a green truck that was referred to as the P.O.S. by everyone in the family.  My mechanic just called it the big, green hemorrhoid.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2009, 07:23:53 AM »
Ya know, musicians typically have an IQ higher than average. Although, since you were in the Army, that does raise a question on the validity of that premise.  :popcorn:

Go ahead! Question away!

(But I've got the answers....)

:uhsure:          :tongue: