Author Topic: poll: are moderators here doing a good job?  (Read 635 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
poll: are moderators here doing a good job?
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:35:49 AM »
That primitive bonfire brought over here, the one where the primitives are kissing the posteriors of moderators on Skins's island, got me to thinking.

Two things:

(a) It's reasonable to expect the primitives to suck back door, given that their "relationship" is akin to that of inmates in an insane asylum, and their guardians.

(b) It's also reasonable to assume that for decent and civilized people, moderators are invisible or unknown; franksolich for example might be a name recognized as a member here, by 649 members out of 652, but of those 649, probably less than ten are aware franksolich is a moderator, too.  This is because, unlike the primitives on Skins's island, decent and civilized people act in decent and civilized ways, and rarely, if ever, need corrected.

Actually, "correcting" is a minor minuscule microscopic part of the job as moderator; the bigger part of the job of a moderator is to engage in discussions; to help liven the place up a bit.

I'm not fishing for compliments here, by the way.  I do a great job all by myself, smooching my own posterior, without the help of anybody else.

But overall, generally, as compared with other web-sites, do moderators here do a good job?  Or do we intimidate, inhibit, members?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: poll: are moderators here doing a good job?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:39:33 AM »
Well, since you didn't put up an option for "TEH JOOOOOOSSSSS!!!!" I will probably vote no.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:14:59 AM »
Hell no. All the ones here are a-holes.  :-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
Well, since you didn't put up an option for "TEH JOOOOOOSSSSS!!!!" I will probably vote no.

+1

Any mod here should know that real polls always blame "TEH JOOOS!!"

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:39:40 AM »
Yes. :tazeme:
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »
I was able to honestly answer, "I don't pay attention", which is probably the strongest statement on that list that the mods are doing it just right.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:13:29 AM »
Just voted. Someone actually voted no?

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
I've never noticed.  I would pay attention if Mods had a high profile presence.  Since none do, I'd submit that the members here don't need babysitting and Mods do what they need to do without fanfare. 

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 10:00:31 AM »
the only time I ever notice moderation is when threads are moved or merged - other than that, the moderators are mostly invisible (read as: 'not noticed as moderators') which indicates to me that the site moderates itself fairly well.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 04:07:27 PM »
we walk all over the mods here.  :tongue:

From what Ive seen there is little actual moderation that takes place so I'd say y'all do a bang up job.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »
we walk all over the mods here.  :tongue:

From what Ive seen there is little actual moderation that takes place so I'd say y'all do a bang up job.

Adults don't need that much moderation and unlike the DUmp, we actually respect each other's opinions even when we disagree. Everyone here knows I'm not a Republican and hold socially libertarian views.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »
I was able to honestly answer, "I don't pay attention", which is probably the strongest statement on that list that the mods are doing it just right.

I'm with ya, D6, though I want "TEH JOOOOOOSS!!!!11!!1!!ELEVENTY!!!!!" option, too.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 06:49:49 PM »
I voted "don't pay attention". :innocent:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.