Author Topic: primitive's daughter trickles down  (Read 428 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive's daughter trickles down
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:02:17 PM »
http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5404670

Oh my.

The iron law of unintended, unanticipated, consequences, a natural law which the primitives usually choose to ignore as if it doesn't exist:

Fumesucker  (1000+ posts)        Mon Apr-06-09 09:46 PM
Original message

My daughter *was* going to buy a new car.. Until today.. An example of trickle down..

My grown daughter has been researching new cars for a while now, her old one is a 97 and getting a bit long in the tooth.

Today she and my son in law unequivocally decided against a new car for her. The reason? My son in law is an aircraft mechanic at Lockheed and works on the F22, today's announcement means there is an excellent chance his good paying union job will be history quite soon.

I'm not posting this to debate the pros and cons of the F22 or any other weapons systems, this is actually a bit of a moral dilemma for me as someone with pretensions of liberalism.

Just showing an example of how eliminating one good paying American job leads to the elimination of another and another and another.

Do you blame a family the majority of whose income is possibly going away soon for tightening the belt at the expense of other American workers?

terisan (1000+ posts)       Mon Apr-06-09 09:56 PM
Response to Original message

1. No you are being wise. The bank bailouts may well bankrupt the US.An additional worry is that in our weakened economic state, it is (I believe) more likely that a natural disaster or a man-mane disaster will occur that will send us reeling.

I thought 0bumble was going to do something about gloom and doom.

One wonders what's up with that.

Mojorabbit  (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-06-09 10:36 PM
Response to Reply #1

17. That is my gut feeling too and I have no idea why. I am thinking natural disaster.

Notice how carefully the motorized rabbit primitive avoids using the words "terrorist attack," which would be a disaster happening naturally because of the new 0bumble policies.

Fumesucker  (1000+ posts)        Mon Apr-06-09 10:17 PM
Response to Reply #2

10. They have gone into complete spend-as-little-as-possible mode..

Thanks for the good wishes..

They really have just gotten back on their feet financially after having three kids in a row, buying a home on significant property and my daughter spending five years as a stay at home mom. I started watching my grandkids last summer which allowed my daughter to go back to work and actually keep some of her paycheck instead of spending the majority of it on child care for three kids.

They were hoping to have everything but the mortgage and a new car paid off by the end of this year, now they have decided to concentrate like a laser beam on paying down everything possible and saving as much as possible on top of that. I know this is exactly the wrong direction for them to take as far as the general economy goes but it is really the only rational course for them to pursue IMO. I'm behind them completely in this.

Next year all the kids will be in full day school which will free my time to go out generate some supplemental income.

We are battening down the hatches and rigging for heavy financial weather.

I thought 0bumble was going to take care of this.

hamsterjill  (1000+ posts)        Tue Apr-07-09 05:08 PM
Response to Reply #10

67. "We are battening down the hatches and rigging for heavy financial weather."

Wise counsel. Aren't we all!!!

Damn.  I'm getting more and more confused as I watch this bonfire; I thought 0bumble was going to make all things whole and well again.

Salviati (1000+ posts)      Mon Apr-06-09 10:03 PM

3. Of course one needs to live within ones means...

So there is no blame on anyone who needs to cut back spending due to a loss of income, to do otherwise is absurd.

On the other front, as someone who belives very strongly that the military budget is in need of severe cuts, the consequences of these cuts are also on my mind. It just goes to show you that there are no easy decisions. Perhaps we can retool and retrain some of the "defense" infrastructure and workers into developing the green economy. I believe that we need to divert a large percentage of the dollars we currently spend on the military, but to simply cut them off will hurt a lot of families like your daughter and son in law...

peace13  (1000+ posts)        Mon Apr-06-09 10:03 PM

4. I hear what you are saying.

My son, 24, is losing his housing due to a roommate getting married. He has money for a down payment from his grandmother's estate. We thought, what a great time to take advantage of the fist time home buyer gift(as my right wing sister puts it) We looked through several houses and then sat down and discussed how bad it would be if he lost his job after the purchase. Long story short, he decided to sit out a while longer. I don't know how we are going to jump start this economy. Time will tell.

Well, excresence; I'm not even a third of the way through this bonfire, and I'm already tired of the gloom and doom and naysaying of the primitives.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: primitive's daughter trickles down
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »
Fumesucker
*snip*
Today she and my son in law unequivocally decided against a new car for her. The reason? My son in law is an aircraft mechanic at Lockheed and works on the F22, today's announcement means there is an excellent chance his good paying union job will be history quite soon.

Let's see.  The defense budget is cut by $1.4B and ACORN is getting @$8B. Hey I know, Fumesucker's SIL can work for ACORN at minimum wage.  Problem solved.  :-)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:24:59 PM »
Fumesucker  (1000+ posts)        Mon Apr-06-09 10:17 PM
Response to Reply #2

10. They have gone into complete spend-as-little-as-possible mode..

[snip]

hamsterjill  (1000+ posts)        Tue Apr-07-09 05:08 PM
Response to Reply #10

67. "We are battening down the hatches and rigging for heavy financial weather."

If only they would practice what they preach - and encourage their cronies in the government to do likewise.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
If only they would practice what they preach - and encourage their cronies in the government to do likewise.

Amen.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:58:22 PM »
what a great time to take advantage of the fist time home buyer gift

They'd better look into that "gift" also.  Just like our Dims...you have to repay the first time homebuyer credit, at least partially.   ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:32:19 AM »
Just because O is gonna bankrupt the country these DUmmies act like its a bad thing.... what did they think was going to happen when they got their wish?? They wanted to stick it to the man, wanted to soak the rich, wanted to bring down capitalism and destroy the military.... well wonder of wonders... thats actually bad for the economy...

geez. you Dummies are so dumb.

Offline happy1ga

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:53:31 AM »

So there is no blame on anyone who needs to cut back spending due to a loss of income, to do otherwise is absurd.

On the other front, as someone who belives very strongly that the military budget is in need of severe cuts, the consequences of these cuts are also on my mind. It just goes to show you that there are no easy decisions. Perhaps we can retool and retrain some of the "defense" infrastructure and workers into developing the green economy. I believe that we need to divert a large percentage of the dollars we currently spend on the military, but to simply cut them off will hurt a lot of families like your daughter and son in law...

Wow, let's see: Retrain helicopter mechanics, and airplane manufacturers to make windmills and install green power grids-check

Cut the defense budget, and not worry about those man-made disasters-check

Try not to guilt those who are actually saving instead of contributing to the global economy-check

There's a whole lot of stupid in this post.
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.