Author Topic: Duncan Hines primitive too stingy to buy light-bulb, uses water  (Read 1038 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=353x2556

Actually, that's not quite the case here, but I thought it made for an eye-grabbing headline.

Duncan Grant  (1000+ posts)        Mon Apr-06-09 04:01 PM
Original message

How To Turn a 2-liter Bottle Of Water Into a 50-Watt Lightbulb 

I found this over at wisebread.com -- very cool.

It's not often that I'm taken aback by the simplicity and power of an invention, but this one does it for me. It's cheap, anyone can make one and it literally changes lives. Welcome to the water-bottle lightbulb.

The inventor's name is Alfredo Moser, and his idea is spreading like wildfire through his neighborhood in Brazil. Like all really great ideas, it was born out of necessity. During a 2002 energy blackout in Brazil, Alfredo's workshop was plunged into darkness. And so, using a simple 2-liter bottle of water, two capfulls of bleach and an old 35 mm film canister, he created this lightbulb.

By cutting holes in his workshop roof, the new water-bottle lightbulbs could shine the sun's rays directly into his dark workplace, bathing it in light that enabled him to work again. And friends and neighbors have been using his invention to light their homes without having to pay for electricity. Obviously, this isn't a solution for your average home in America, but it could easily work in your garden shed or another type of workshop.

See how it works at YouTube.

No primitives at this bonfire yet.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: Duncan Hines primitive too stingy to buy light-bulb, uses water
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:02:13 AM »
Duncan Grant  (1000+ posts)        Mon Apr-06-09 04:01 PM
Original message

How To Turn a 2-liter Bottle Of Water Into a 50-Watt Lightbulb 

I found this over at wisebread.com -- very cool.

It's not often that I'm taken aback by the simplicity and power of an invention, but this one does it for me. It's cheap, anyone can make one and it literally changes lives. Welcome to the water-bottle lightbulb.

The inventor's name is Alfredo Moser, and his idea is spreading like wildfire through his neighborhood in Brazil. Like all really great ideas, it was born out of necessity. During a 2002 energy blackout in Brazil, Alfredo's workshop was plunged into darkness. And so, using a simple 2-liter bottle of water, two capfulls of bleach and an old 35 mm film canister, he created this lightbulb.

By cutting holes in his workshop roof, the new water-bottle lightbulbs could shine the sun's rays directly into his dark workplace, bathing it in light that enabled him to work again. And friends and neighbors have been using his invention to light their homes without having to pay for electricity. Obviously, this isn't a solution for your average home in America, but it could easily work in your garden shed or another type of workshop.

See how it works at YouTube.

Ok? So what happens when you get monsoon rains that they get in Brazil? And last time I bought light bulbs they were about 1.50 for four of them! Are light bulbs really that big of an expense? :lmao:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:15:36 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In turd-world nations........yes.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »
I'm sure that works really well at night.   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.