Author Topic: Anger Over Firm Depletes Obama's Political Capital  (Read 980 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Anger Over Firm Depletes Obama's Political Capital
« on: March 17, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »
Yeah, all that "hope and change" is working wonders, isn't it? :evillaugh:

Anger Over Firm Depletes Obama's Political Capital

By Michael D. Shear and Paul Kane
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, March 17, 2009; A01

President Obama's apparent inability to block executive bonuses at insurance giant AIG has dealt a sharp blow to his young administration and is threatening to derail both public and congressional support for his ambitious political agenda.

Politicians in both parties flocked to express outrage over $165 million in bonuses paid out to executives at the company, demanding answers from the president and swamping yesterday's rollout of his efforts to spark lending to small businesses.

The populist anger at the executives who ran their firms into the ground is increasingly blowing back on Obama, whom aides yesterday described as having little recourse in the face of legal contracts that guaranteed those bonuses.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, peppered with questions about why the president had not done more to block the bonuses at a company that has received $170 billion in taxpayer funds, struggled for an answer yesterday afternoon. He explained that government lawyers are "looking through contracts to see what can be done to wrest these bonuses from their recipients."

Obama himself sought to channel the public's sense of disbelief yesterday. "How do they justify this outrage to the taxpayers who are keeping the company afloat?" he said, declaring the bonuses an "outrage" that violate "fundamental values."

I absolutely love this.  He seems to be wearing out his welcome rather fast, isn't he?

Four more years of this shit, though.  And, it's out in the Washington Post, which is anything but a "right-wing rag."

:evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/16/AR2009031600640_pf.html

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Anger Over Firm Depletes Obama's Political Capital
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »
And any hint at "Well, we didn't know the bonuses would have to be paid" will be met with a resounding "Then what DO you know and why should we trust you to know in the future when even your SecTreas can't figure out his tax software."
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 06:19:17 PM »
And any hint at "Well, we didn't know the bonuses would have to be paid" will be met with a resounding "Then what DO you know and why should we trust you to know in the future when even your SecTreas can't figure out his tax software."

One flaw in that argument, my dear lagomorph--Chris Dodd specifically exempted bonuses when he wrote the bill that bailed out AIG.  Yes, they knew.

I doubt that even the bitterest conservative, clinging to his guns and religion, could have envisioned that the Obamination would come apart so fast. :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :loser: :loser: :loser:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:42:34 PM »
Obama and his administration pushed for over $2 TRILLION in federal spending, and I'm expected to get all teary over $165 million?

Sorry, not going to happen.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:47:28 PM »
Obama and his administration pushed for over $2 TRILLION in federal spending, and I'm expected to get all teary over $165 million?

If you were an unemployed DUmmie living in your mother's basement you would be drowning in your tears.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:10:40 PM »
Even the black people [who voted for him] are embarrassed nowadays.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 08:31:06 PM »

It's amazing, isn't it ? During the signing of Porkulus Maximus, the Obamapologists were going on about how little value all those earmarks have, and that they shouldn't matter since most of the bill is for the good of the nation -- then a company uses a portion of their bailout to honor contracts and all this righteous indignation comes spewing from the Democrats.

Do I agree with the bonuses ? No.

But, I disagree with all the pork projects and wasteful spending in the bill, unlike the Democrats who seems to only disagree with some of the financial abuse Porkulus Maximus permits in all of its poorly written, fat-laden glory.