Author Topic: Judd Gregg goes Judge Dredd on Geithner  (Read 1360 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

Judd Gregg goes Judge Dredd on Geithner
« on: March 13, 2009, 03:29:14 PM »
"Prepare to be judged!"  :-)

Gregg: Budget Forecast a Lie
From NBC’s Ken Strickland
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/03/12/1833945.aspx

It was obvious to most Capitol Hill insiders why President Obama wanted Republican Judd Gregg as a member of his cabinet: He's one of the sharpest money-minds in Congress.

But instead of getting Gregg's counsel within the administration, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner found himself today of the receiving end of Gregg's fiscal conservative wrath.
snip
When Gregg withdrew his nomination, he said he and the administration were "functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy." 

Gregg's opening monologue today would indicate that was a gross understatement.

"The argument that this budget doesn't have tax increases [on everyone] is, I think, an 'Alice in Wonderland' view of the budget," he said.

He challenged the budget's math on cutting the debt: "When you take the deficit and quadruple it and then you cut it and half, that's like taking four steps back and two steps forward. That's not making any progress; you're still going backwards."

Gregg questioned why any foreign country would continue to buy up U.S. debt: "Because if I'm in the international marketplace, and I'm looking at this budget, I'm saying to myself, ‘Where's the discipline? Where's the containment?' There isn't any."

In his withdrawal statement last month, Gregg said, "I expect there will be many issues and initiatives where I can and will work to assure the success of the president's proposals."

No wonder Obama wanted Gregg on his team. He needed some fiscal credibility for cover and to defang the Republicans at the same time. I'm glad Gregg pulled back but more curious than ever why he agreed to the job in the first place. In any case, anyone wanna take bets on Geithner's future at his new job?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:33:52 PM by ReardenSteel »
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Judd Gregg goes Judge Dredd on Geithner
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »
In any case, anyone wanna take bets on Geithner's future at his new job?

It's gotta be getting pretty crowded under Da Messiah's bus by now...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 04:04:09 PM »

It's gotta be getting pretty crowded under Da Messiah's bus by now...

heh!

I'll think he will get the ax but it can't be too soon. As I understand it, if Geithner left now, we would not have a single person in the Treasury Department at all! LOL On second thought, that may be a good thing.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:55:41 PM »
Apparently the rumour is that he could be on his way out.

When they start making jokes about you, it's hard to recover.  And that's what is happening now to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner.
It's not just "Saturday Night Live" poking fun at him -- you saw the skit depicting a Geithner so clueless that he offered a huge reward to anyone who called his hotline, 1-800-IDEAS, with a plan to get us out of the financial crisis.  Beyond the TV shows, Geithner, who was confirmed despite having to pay $48,000 in back taxes and interest, is also the target of suppressed snickers on Capitol Hill whenever the subject turns to the IRS.  And now, he is widely thought to be not up to the job.

The fundamental problem, of course, is that Geithner hasn't come up with a financial rescue plan.  There is nearly unanimous agreement among economists and policymakers that the single most important thing the Secretary of the Treasury should do now is develop a plan to deal with the "toxic assets" that threaten the survival of financial institutions.  But Geithner, who has been acutely aware of this problem for months, doesn't have such a plan.  If he had, the comedians wouldn't be talking about 1-800-IDEAS.

The situation has gotten so bad that Geithner is the subject of private buyer's remorse from some of the very politicians who supported him.  A number of senators voted to confirm Geithner, even with tax problems they deemed disqualifying, because they believed the financial crisis required immediate action.  Now, with little happening, their feeling is: We put aside some very troubling concerns for this?

"I'm fairly confident that if the vote on the nomination were held today, he would not be confirmed," a top Senate aide told me recently.  "The thing that saved him -- even though people with lesser problems were not saved -- was that he was the only one who could do the job, and he was seen as the wunderkind who would come in and save the day."

http://www.dcexaminer.com/politics/Geithner-Obama-Economics-A-Joke-Thats-Not-Funny-41197667.html

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
heh!

I'll think he will get the ax but it can't be too soon. As I understand it, if Geithner left now, we would not have a single person in the Treasury Department at all! LOL On second thought, that may be a good thing.

Well, really, there are tons of people at Treasury including all the career senior civil service people who would have to keep the nutty political appointees between the rails, the only real handicap is Geithner and Obama letting them have the authority to fill in as acting branch heads, which as control freaks I'm sure they are loath to do.  A lot of the logjam at Treasury is self-inflicted.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
Apparently the rumour is that he could be on his way out.
http://www.dcexaminer.com/politics/Geithner-Obama-Economics-A-Joke-Thats-Not-Funny-41197667.html
I never understood why there was so much faith in the tax cheat to begin with.  I don't recall any reason being given for the optimism that Geithner could fix the crisis just we had to over look his criminal status because he was the only one who could fix the economy.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:31:47 AM »
While I find it laughable to use the words Gregg and conservative in the same sentence, he was right to turn down the job.  He saw the writing on the wall that simply isn't being discussed on the DC cocktail circuit--that this administration is setting new records for ineptness and corruption in the shortest period of time.  We're less than eight weeks in, kids.  Imagine what it's going to be like in a couple of years.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
While I find it laughable to use the words Gregg and conservative in the same sentence, he was right to turn down the job.  He saw the writing on the wall that simply isn't being discussed on the DC cocktail circuit--that this administration is setting new records for ineptness and corruption in the shortest period of time.  We're less than eight weeks in, kids.  Imagine what it's going to be like in a couple of years.

His admin is in such disarray one would think he had some huge distraction like Florida 2000 to contend with in the transition period.

I wish that Yale Law Review editor had spoken up before the election, not that it would have made much difference but it would be the clear life long pattern to hold up.

I saw 5 seconds of FNC this morning with the official Fox News Obama apologist, that humorless blond chick who never smiles, going on and on about what the Big L'oeuf inherited how it has only been 7 weeks and blah blah blah.  She's still kind of cute but if she persists in her humorless liberalism she'll be a hag within the next 18 months.

One cannot be both a modern day liberal and happy.

But I digress, if the start of the Bush admin had been in such disarray even after Florida 2000 and getting no help from the Clinton admin he would have never made it six months. 
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »
Why was he seen as so competent back in December/January?  Where did that reputation come from?  (I know nothing of the guy, so I am looking for what others knew about that I didn't)

Actually, I think the fact that there is no one at the treasury but Geitner is why the Dow seems to be recovering lately.  There is no one there to do any more damage.

And this is march, folks.  The US is kind of weird in that we have 10 weeks to put together the top posts in a government.  The rest of the world has to do do it in hours.  This is March 15, he has had since November 4.  This is beyond ridiculous. 
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!