Author Topic: Govt. Now Says Economy Shrank 6.2% in 4Q, Worst Showing in a Quarter-Century  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. economy contracted at its sharpest rate since early 1982 in the fourth quarter, revised data showed on Friday, as exports plunged and consumers cut spending by the most in more than 28 years.

The Commerce Department said gross domestic product, which measures the total output of goods and services within U.S. borders, shrank at a revised annual rate of 6.2 percent in the October-December quarter, much steeper than the 3.8 percent fall estimated last month.

The weaker GDP estimate reflected downward revisions to inventories and exports by the department.

U.S. stock index futures extended losses after the report, and the dollar fell against the yen. U.S. government debt prices were steady at higher levels.

"It's just doom all over. There's nothing good to take away from this report. I think there's a few more bad quarters to come," said Boris Schlossberg, director of currency research at GFT Forex in New York.

more
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:55:54 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline thundley4

Any bet on the DJIA dropping below 7000 today?

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
But Hey!!  Let's spend another TRILLION today...yeah?  That'll get things going!  /sarcasm

I can't even get depressed anymore my immediate reaction to just about everything with the economy and with the govt. is just nothing but sarcasm.

Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
Mine is to buy more ammunition.

I think it might be time I actually own a firearm.  the husband has one but we might be needing these things sooner rather than later.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Bwahahahahaha! H5 Automic!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

But Hey!!  Let's spend another TRILLION today...yeah?  That'll get things going!  /sarcasm

I can't even get depressed anymore my immediate reaction to just about everything with the economy and with the govt. is just nothing but sarcasm.

All this spending will no doubt cause massive inflation. However, the real problem is that all that inflation will devalue the money they're trying to spend, and as a result they will have to spend even more to compensate, which would then cause more inflation, and so on until...well, you get the idea.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
I was at an all day seminar today and the CEO of my company said this is not a normal glitch in the economy...with the addition of these bailouts he believes this correction cycle will not last the usual decade or so...he believes this correction may be for the next 50-60 years. 

This concerns me as I know this man is smart...I'm not sure I agree that it is as severe....but if he is right...Obama will be responsible for the largest economic breakdown since the Depression....presuming we don't actually enter into one.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I was at an all day seminar today and the CEO of my company said this is not a normal glitch in the economy...with the addition of these bailouts he believes this correction cycle will not last the usual decade or so...he believes this correction may be for the next 50-60 years. 

This concerns me as I know this man is smart...I'm not sure I agree that it is as severe....but if he is right...Obama will be responsible for the largest economic breakdown since the Depression....presuming we don't actually enter into one.

I wouldn't buy into that presumption just yet.

We've still got a lot of housing bubble left to correct.  That alone is gonna re-set the value of almost everything in our economy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
When there is a new President, the stock market goes up, but with Obama in office, it keeps dropping.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
When there is a new President, the stock market goes up, but with Obama in office, it keeps dropping.

I saw a story on that exact thing yesterday!  They shows the stock market with the last 5 presidents.  Historically, the market was up for the first three or four months.  This is the first presidency where the stock market has consistently dropped since a president took office.  Gee...I wonder if that tells us anything... :whatever:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
And I saw a story Thursday (Kudlow?) where basically everyone agreed that the projections that harpy looking "advisor" kept pumping out were based on conditional assumptions WHICH HAVE NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE....EVER.

IOW, pay no attention to reality, just have another cup of Kool-Aid, kids.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford