Author Topic: Chávez threatens to nationalise food companies  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Chávez threatens to nationalise food companies
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
DadOf2LittleAngels  (608 posts)
Tue Feb-05-08 12:30 PM

Original message
Chávez threatens to nationalise food companies

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2820596

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/news/international/56292...
Published: Tuesday 05 February 2008 09:18 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday 05 February 2008 16:00 UTC

Caracas - Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez has threatened to nationalise the country's major food distributors if they are caught hoarding. The president warned the food industry that he was hoping they would give him an excuse to intervene.

Venezuela is facing an increasing shortage of foodstuffs which, according to the food industry, is caused by government price controls. The maximum prices imposed by Caracas are so low that supermarkets are often forced to sell products at a loss or stop selling them altogether.

However the government says the shortages are caused by ruthless capitalists who are hoarding goods in order to drive up prices. The major food distributors are also accused of smuggling their products to Colombia, where they fetch higher prices.

Ok, here we go.  One real dumb ass in this one.

fascisthunter  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Tue Feb-05-08 01:13 PM

Response to Original message
13. GOOD! Since They Won't Sell Foods to Their Own People

starving folks for profit is sick and inhumane. Businesses should consider themselves priviledged, and not the other way around.

Jeeze this is an idiot.

Tue Feb-05-08 02:18 PM

Response to Reply #15
21. Surrrre it does.... Because the greedy don't want to take a profit hit

Profit or death. What side are you on?

So like most corporations they always find a way to pass the buck... then we hear folks like you blame it on those fighting for respect and equality and against corporate greed. It's as if you everything has to depend on the business man's profit margin... and please spare me the "It will ruin business." No it won't.

"Can't cut pricess.... because well, um... then the farmers lose too."

Well then, the company makes LESS profit and fairly charges customers as well as reward the farmers adequetly. Oh my... can't have that!

Time to deal with reality and the reality that corporations exist within social constructs dependent on their societies. Time to be a part of it, and stop claiming to be exempt from it. Welcome to a LEVEL playing field. That's a Democracy!

and THAT IS SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE CAPITALISM.

And it goes on .....

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

Re: Chávez threatens to nationalise food companies
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
fascisthunter never went to the USSR.  I have and witnessed the lines in front of food stores that had empty shelves. Yes socialize/nationalize all you can because that has always worked so well.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:53:40 PM »
fascisthunter never went to the USSR.  I have and witnessed the lines in front of food stores that had empty shelves. Yes socialize/nationalize all you can because that has always worked so well.

I don't think it would matter if fascisthunter DID go.  Look at the intelligence spouted by the far left;

MiltonF  Donating Member  (985 posts)
Tue Feb-05-08 02:00 PM

Response to Reply #13
15. Selling at a loss means the farmer and business owner will starve.

If it costs me $1.00 to make a loaf of bread but I am only allowed to sell the loaf for $0.75 how many loafs do you think I will make.

Ok, we have a reasonable post to fascisthunter ... how does it respond?

Tue Feb-05-08 02:18 PM

Response to Reply #15
21. Surrrre it does.... Because the greedy don't want to take a profit hit

Profit or death. What side are you on?

So like most corporations they always find a way to pass the buck... then we hear folks like you blame it on those fighting for respect and equality and against corporate greed. It's as if you everything has to depend on the business man's profit margin... and please spare me the "It will ruin business." No it won't.

"Can't cut pricess.... because well, um... then the farmers lose too."

Well then, the company makes LESS profit and fairly charges customers as well as reward the farmers adequetly. Oh my... can't have that!

Time to deal with reality and the reality that corporations exist within social constructs dependent on their societies. Time to be a part of it, and stop claiming to be exempt from it. Welcome to a LEVEL playing field. That's a Democracy!

and THAT IS SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE CAPITALISM.

Brilliant!!  Absolute brilliance from the left.   :whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »

Yeah. And why would a leader "threaten" to do something that is supposed to be so "wonderful"?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.