Author Topic: Obama, Spider-Man on the same comic-book page  (Read 1479 times)

Offline thundley4

Obama, Spider-Man on the same comic-book page
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:23:54 PM »
Just when it seems like the 'Adoration of Der Fuhrer" can go no farther.  :hammer:
In a growing world of Barack Obama collectibles, one item soon may be swinging above the rest.
On Jan. 14, Marvel Comics is releasing a special issue of Amazing Spider-Man #583 with Obama depicted on the cover. Inside are five pages of the two teaming up and even a (terrorist  :-) )fist-bump between Spidey and the new president.

"It was a natural after we learned the new president is a Spider-Man fan," says Marvel editor in chief Joe Quesada about reports that Obama once collected Spider-Man comics. "We thought, 'Fantastic! We have a comic-book geek in the White House.' "
USAtoday

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Obama, Spider-Man on the same comic-book page
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:34:42 PM »
Why don't they just fellate him and be done with it?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:59:08 PM »
Why don't they just fellate him and be done with it?

Who says they aren't?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
Who says they aren't?

Point well taken.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
Just when it seems like the 'Adoration of Der Fuhrer" can go no farther.  :hammer:USAtoday

they had mccain in the comics too.  If he had won, he would be there, instead of Obama.  How dare they mention obama.
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 07:37:08 PM »
Uh, dipshit?  Making a comic about someone and using an ESTABLISHED comic (Spiderman) to pimp a candidate are two different animals.

Just so you understand the difference.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »
Uh, dipshit?  Making a comic about someone and using an ESTABLISHED comic (Spiderman) to pimp a candidate are two different animals.

mccain has been in comics with comic characters.  So has president bush.  He has met super heroes.  He has shaken hands with them.  The only reason you care is because its obama, "dipshit"
You realize if McCain had won, he would be getting "pimped" as well, right?

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »

Marvel has done this with Spider-man for ages.  I remember back in the 1970's they teamed Spidy up with the Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time Players.

Marvel, being set in the (somewhat) real world as opposed to DC set in some alternate reality, has always had cameos by allegedly real people.  At least since the 1970's.

/geek off
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »
they had mccain in the comics too.  If he had won, he would be there, instead of Obama.  How dare they mention obama.

Marvel even did a comic book of St. Francis

which helped me to decide on Francis for my confirmation name.  Odd how the comic came out right about that time.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
The point being, Marvel and Stan Lee's liberal leanings probably wouldn't be giving "cred" to a conservative like they do Obama.

What happens when all these idiots get over their Kool-Aid hangovers and realize they've been screwed just as badly as anyone else?  Hell, Lee lost millions at the hands of the Clintons and Peter Paul, but that doesn't stop him, now does it?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »
The point being, Marvel and Stan Lee's liberal leanings probably wouldn't be giving "cred" to a conservative like they do Obama.

What happens when all these idiots get over their Kool-Aid hangovers and realize they've been screwed just as badly as anyone else?  Hell, Lee lost millions at the hands of the Clintons and Peter Paul, but that doesn't stop him, now does it?
I have no idea what Lee is doing now but this does seem like an example of what can seem like barking at the wind.  It's a comic book and it is somehow fitting that the Big Zero seems more real as a comic book character than he does as a man.  In some ways, Obama can only ever be a two dimensional super hero and the people who follow him are not too much different than the people who know all of Superman's and Batman's stats, assuming they have stats.

I offer my congratulation to the 0 that he is finally being presented in the art form most befitting his level of substance.  Not everyone will achieve this.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 11:20:18 PM »

What happens when all these idiots get over their Kool-Aid hangovers and realize they've been screwed just as badly as anyone else?  Hell, Lee lost millions at the hands of the Clintons and Peter Paul, but that doesn't stop him, now does it?

stan lee doesn't do anything at marvel anymore.