Author Topic: It's time we had a Pet Parents' Bill of Rights...  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: It's time we had a Pet Parents' Bill of Rights...
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 07:18:54 AM »
I have read this and now I will weigh in....

According to all modern law, pets are chattel -- the same as cows and roosters.

Current law is starting to slowly catch up to the idea of pets as family members.  At least you can get vet bills, even when they exceed the "street value" of the pet.

I think that negligence that leads to the death of a pet should be subject to pain and suffering for the pet's owner.  That is pretty much the last barrier to a proper legal recognition of pets.  Pets can love and are certainly loved.  The death of a pet can cut deeply into all members of the family.  That does not make them "sentient beings" as the primitive portrays.

They are "sentient,"but not as the primitive portrays.  In the case of cats, they are superior beings, as any cat can tell you with a single expression.

My Neysa and Musica were intelligent creatures who loved me and Mrs. FD and received love in kind. That didn't give them any kind of "rights" -- but it made them special.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 07:44:33 AM »
I have read this and now I will weigh in....

According to all modern law, pets are chattel -- the same as cows and roosters.

Current law is starting to slowly catch up to the idea of pets as family members.  At least you can get vet bills, even when they exceed the "street value" of the pet.

I think that negligence that leads to the death of a pet should be subject to pain and suffering for the pet's owner.  That is pretty much the last barrier to a proper legal recognition of pets.  Pets can love and are certainly loved.  The death of a pet can cut deeply into all members of the family.  That does not make them "sentient beings" as the primitive portrays.

They are "sentient,"but not as the primitive portrays.  In the case of cats, they are superior beings, as any cat can tell you with a single expression.

My Neysa and Musica were intelligent creatures who loved me and Mrs. FD and received love in kind. That didn't give them any kind of "rights" -- but it made them special.

H5 for being spot-on, IMO.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »

Sentient beings?
Good gawd! If you can get any one of my 11 cats to clean up their own puke or litter when they happily throw it five feet out of their litter box after taking a crap, I will give your
post-O-stupidity some creed.
Additionally, if just one of the rascals would get a job to help offset the $250.00 for food and $160 for litter I spend each month, I would create another mole account at the DUmp to back you up.
Pets and worms are not Sentient beings but then again, neither are DUmmys.

Excuse me for saying so but anyone who owns 11 cats has some issues of their own, just sayin'

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".