Author Topic: Calling all Georgians (and anyone who's been nabbed by Georgia State Patrol)  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Zeus

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian court has issued a blunt warning about the sexual predators a young driver faces in jail if he does not stop speeding, as authorities struggle to stop teenagers street racing.

"You'll find big, ugly, hairy strong men (in jail) who've got faces only a mother could love that will pay a lot of attention to you -- and your anatomy," said Magistrate Brian Maloney.

The 19-year-old male appeared in Sydney's Downing Center Court on Monday charged with driving without a license, failing to stop at a police alcohol check point and driving dangerously.

It was his third time before the courts for driving offences, prompting the magistrate's warning he would be jailed next time.

Maloney barred the teenager from driving until 2013, placed him on a 12-month good behavior bond and ordered him to do 150 hours of community work.

Breaching any of these conditions would see the teenager jailed where he would "shower with the gorillas in the mist down at Long Bay jail," said Maloney, his comments confirmed by the court on Tuesday.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
What ever happened to taking responsibility for ones actions and owning up to the penalties without trying to "beat" them / get them reduced?

For goodness sake, you admit to the crime.  Pay the penalty and learn from the experience.  If your insurance goes up as a consequence of your actions then so be it.  You shouldn't have been breaking the law in the first place.

I assume then that if they ever pass a legally binding piece of legislation that outlaws certain classes of gun that you will turn yours over with a smile since it's the law? :)

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline asdf2231

I didn't even REALIZE it at the time.  Yes, I made a mistake and am OWNING UP TO IT.  However, given the EXACT location of the trap (where there were no signs indicating there was a change in the speed limit...), I have at least one reason to attempt to fight it. 

Look, I can't afford to have my insurance go up... if that happens, I'll more than likely lose my vehicle (because I can't pay for it) and I have no money to purchase cheaper transportation. All of my money is budgeted, so I can't just spend money on anything frivolous anymore. I also have my god-damned medical bills to take care of too.  Y'all have no idea what I (and my family) have had to pay financially and emotionally since the tumor showed up, even WITH insurance.  I did not start this thread to be "yelled" at.  I was simply looking for advice to try to at least get a reduction in the charge.   I don't see what's wrong with that.

I AM taking responsibility by paying the fine, but since some folks don't seem to "get" the situation surrounding my goal for a reduced charge, I just want y'all to understand that I just want to try, is that so much to ask?

Don't sweat the a-holes kiddo.  Your insurance, if it does go up, will do so by a pittance. I got nailed doing 55 in what I thought was a 45 zone. Turned out to be a 35mph stretch and they had a speed trap set up.  My insurance increased 25$ a year when they found out about the ticket.

Last May I missed a speed limit sign on a stretch of 4 lane Washington highway and got nailed doing 75 in a 55. The officer marked it down as 65 in a 55 zone for me. $11 dollar a year increase.

If it does go up it shouldn't be crippling. :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:14:13 AM by asdf2231 »

Offline guest

Don't sweat the a-holes kiddo.  Your insurance, if it does go up, will do so by a pittance. I got nailed doing 55 in what I thought was a 45 zone. Turned out to be a 35mph stretch and they had a speed trap set up.  My insurance increased 25$ a year when they found out about the ticket.

Last May I missed a speed limit sign on a stretch of 4 lane Washington highway and got nailed doing 75 in a 55. $11 dollar a year increase.

If it does go up it shouldn't be crippling. :)

Ohhh... okay.   That doesn't seem TOO bad.  :)

Here's an update:  I called the probate court today, as the 5 day wait period was up today.  Fine= $112.  That's nowhere near what I was expecting.  I'll pick up a cashier's check from the bank later today and mail it off tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:17:59 AM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline asdf2231

Ohhh... okay.   That doesn't seem TOO bad.  :)

Here's an update:  I called the probate court today, as the 5 day wait period was up today.  Fine= $112.  That's nowhere near what I was expecting.  I'll pick up a cashier's check from the bank later today and mail it off tomorrow.

If your insurance company is run by real dicks you might be looking at 100$ a year on the high end. 50-75$ on the low end of the penis scale for insurance greediness, but if you have a clean record it should be about what mine was.

Offline Zeus

If your insurance company is run by real dicks you might be looking at 100$ a year on the high end. 50-75$ on the low end of the penis scale for insurance greediness, but if you have a clean record it should be about what mine was.

Also depends upon the coverage. If you just have basic liability it can't go up much but if you got a bells & whistles full coverage they will sock you pretty.

I don't know of any state where the insurance lobby isn't influential, plus the local govts appreciate the "revenue enhancement" of the citation.

It's bizarre but I've sat in courts where the judge has dismissed no license & no proof of financial liability because the people cited got the Docs after the fact. Those same judges squeeze speeders for all the geld they can. Oh yea they will issue adjudicated probation or defensive driving but guess what they still get the revenue of the fine plus court costs.

One of the main reasons most folks opt for the DD is they are told the ticket isn't reported to the insurance company. Well yes it isn't but when an insurance company gets a drivers record from the state DD is annotated on it and guess what folks take DD for ?

Not an endorcement of speeding but those citations aren't about public safety but revenue enhancement.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
My last speeding ticket occurred in 1999 - at 3 A.M., after having crossed over from Illinois into Missouri down near Cairo, IL.

Speed limit there was 70 and I was doing a shade over 80. Missouri trooper still nailed me. He didn't say hardly a word and neither did I because I was certain he was going to write it up. I didn't fight it, though, not being able to make the trek to fight it in court.

(Touching wood as I'm writing this. Speeding tickets are bad ju ju, no matter when and where. It IS all about money, I think. I might do 5 mph over, but that's about it.)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Zeus

My last speeding ticket occurred in 1999 - at 3 A.M., after having crossed over from Illinois into Missouri down near Cairo, IL.

Speed limit there was 70 and I was doing a shade over 80. Missouri trooper still nailed me. He didn't say hardly a word and neither did I because I was certain he was going to write it up. I didn't fight it, though, not being able to make the trek to fight it in court.

(Touching wood as I'm writing this. Speeding tickets are bad Ju Ju, no matter when and where. It IS all about money, I think. I might do 5 mph over, but that's about it.)

well it's a hard racket to breakup. How can you discern a legit speeding citation from a bogus one except for confession. Paying the tab and taking your lumps isn't a confession either. Out of state drivers are always a fave target because what are the odds of them sticking around to or coming back to have their day in court on the off chance they can acquire a dismissal. somewhere between damn slim to none.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
well it's a hard racket to breakup. How can you discern a legit speeding citation from a bogus one except for confession. Paying the tab and taking your lumps isn't a confession either. Out of state drivers are always a fave target because what are the odds of them sticking around to or coming back to have their day in court on the off chance they can acquire a dismissal. somewhere between damn slim to none.

That's one of the benefits of speed traps. Locals usually know about them; out-of-towners likely not. Can anybody say, "Ka-CHING!"?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
A city in Southern Ok got sued because of their speed traps and outrageous fines. The city was found guilty and the plaintiff won.

The Town Of Dickson Plans To Appeal Judge Card's Most Recent Ruling

Updated: Jan 6, 2009 06:31 PM

Carter County Judge Card ruled once again in favor of a doctor who filed a lawsuit against the town of Dickson for overcharging him for a traffic ticket.  KTEN's Meredith Saldana reports.   

The town of Dickson appealed the first ruling up to the Oklahoma Supreme Court and say they plan on appealing this one as well.

I spoke with attorneys on both sides of the case Tuesday and neither side plans on giving up anytime soon.     

Doctor House, a former resident of Sulpher, received the ticket nearly 4 years ago for going 65 miles per hour in a 45 mile per hour zone.     

His attorney's claim he was overcharged over $300 because the town of Dickson failed to file traffic ordinances properly with the Carter County Clerk.     

Failure to file with the county limits towns to fines of only $50 or less.     

Dr. House's Attorney David Blankenship says right now the town only owes Dr. House his money back but they are hoping to be approved for a class action to get the other nearly 2,000 people that were overcharged their money back as well.

"We know from their own records we've got their phone numbers, we've got their drivers license numbers and these are all on the ticket.   They're public record.   It shouldn't be too difficult if we can get a class certification to find out who all these people are and how much they were over charged."

If  the town of Dickson is required to pay all the overcharged fines back they will owe over $300,000.     

But the town's Attorney Brent Bahner says class action lawsuits rarely happen and are very difficult to obtain.     

Bahner also said they plan on appealing Judge Card's ruling again.     

-Meredith Saldana, KTEN News.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zeus