Author Topic: primtives opine on food-processors  (Read 2062 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primtives opine on food-processors
« on: December 30, 2008, 04:18:29 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x52115

First, the Kali primitive, not to be confused with the bitter old woman from Vermont, the cali primitive.  The Kali primitive lives down in southern Texas, and knows what hard work is; the Kali primitive's also a second-tier primitive on Skins's island, which means franksolich spares her the lash of his tongue.

Kali  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-29-08 10:23 PM
Original message

opinions on food processors?

Have one? Like and use it? How is cleaning? What about grating cheese? What are the other functions? Can they grind meat? Dough for bread or is a heavy duty mixer better?

Husb2Sparkly  (1000+ posts)        Mon Dec-29-08 10:46 PM
Response to Original message

1. We have this one

after which photograph of a space-age, Jetson's-style kitchen appliance

Cuisinart DLC-2014CHB

Ours is a few years old and has fewer letters in the name.

It is a workhorse. It will do everything you ask about. Including making dough. Nothing has ever bogged it down.

Kali  (1000+ posts)      Mon Dec-29-08 11:24 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Do you use it every day?

Or for most meals? (thanks for the reply)

Does it slice things like say cukes nice enough for serving? or is it more of a chopping function? I have never used one or even seen one in use. I use a hand mixer fairly often and a blender rarely. But I cut and chop a lot as well as grate a fair amount of cheese. Use the bread machine for mixing dough and have been thinking of moving to a stand mixer or one of these for that little chore.

Do they have time settings or anything similar to the bread dough setting on that machine or can they be left running for a while?

Husb2Sparkly  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-30-08 12:12 AM
Response to Reply #2

3. No, we don't use it that often.

But when we use it, it is because it is the right tool for the job. Our knife skills are good enough that for slicing and chopping, it is usually easier to clean a knife and cutting board than a food processor.

Dough ...... these things make dough, literally, in seconds. There is no need whatever for a timer.

It slices very nicely. Yes, good enough for serving. And it does it very fast. It will grate cheese with the right disc, but I think it is too powerful for that. I'd be afraid it would melt the cheese from the friction.

We use it when we are making something that has a lot of one item - like sliced onions for onion soup. Cabbage for slaw. To make pesto. Lots of different uses.

Tesha  (1000+ posts)      Tue Dec-30-08 12:50 AM

4. we have the same model

I make bread or pizza dough with it about twice a month, and grate cheese for fondue and pizza. When there are a lot of veggies to prepare I use the slicing disk - mmmm cucumber salads...

I really love mine, had it for several years and it's a real workhorse. Fits in the dishwasher too!

TygrBright  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-30-08 12:55 AM

5. We have what's probably the same one Stinky's talking about.

It is, as he says, the right tool for some jobs. Grating potatoes for hash browns, for example. We make peanut butter with ours. I don't make bread dough in it but other doughs, like biscuits and/or tart crusts, definitely. It's not good for larger batches of dough, I find. Now and then I make extra-fine sugar for making ice cream and merengues.

Cleaning isn't bad, I just take the bits apart and put them in the dishwasher.

I sorta wish I'd known about the Bimby before I bought the food processor, though. I have a serious lust for one of them things. Being as how I have a heavy and impatient hand with sauces.

TreasonousBastard  (1000+ posts)      Tue Dec-30-08 01:43 AM

6. Love mine-- it's a cheap Black&Decker and I've had other...

cheap ones from Hamilton Beach and the like. All worked well for just about everything I did with them, and I found them indispensable for things like grating several pounds of Swiss cheese or slicing up cabbage for coleslaw. Most of them you only get one size grating blade, so things like finely grating hard cheeses like Parmesan are best done some other way. Truth is, though, I only use it for mass quantities-- I agree with the other guy who said a knife is a lot easier to set up and clean for small amounts.

Does pie dough, but my bread dough is too heavy for any but the best mixers-- it even broke a bread machine.

Meatgrinding is a little tricky-- best to cube the meat and have it almost frozen, but even then some cuts can have strings. Serious fruit and veggie chopping is a breeze once you get the hang of it, and it's great for some saucemaking.

More expensive models like Cuisinart and KitchenAid are more powerful and reliable-- I've burned out some of the cheapies-- but don't necessarily do a better job when they work. I got the B&D because it was cheap, and even cheaper on sale, and I don't use it enough to justify the higher cost of a KitchenAid.

I've seen a "wide mouth" model in the stores, and like the idea of something with a big enough hole so I don't have to prep so much and can get bigger slices. Not quartering the potatoes before slicing them in the processor works for me. (Everyone else seems to worry more about fitting hands down there.)

MagickMuffin  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-30-08 03:35 AM

7. KitchenAid

after which photograph of a kitchen appliance

KitchenAid’s KFP740CR food processor has a 9-cup work bowl and an exclusive 4-cup mini bowl for smaller chopping tasks. It features a tall feed tube and pusher for continuous processing, a powerful 1/2-horsepower motor, premium-quality stainless-steel blades, and an easy-to-clean design.

I received it for Xmas last year. I thought it might be too large, returned it to the store, but went back and brought it home with me.

I have used the mini bowl to make hot sauce. The larger bowl to make scones, biscuits, shortbread. I even tried to make a carrot cake with it, since they had a recipe in the book that comes with it. Bad idea. It grated the carrots just fine, however the larger bowl doesn't have a stem to cover the stem on the machine. Batter oozed out the bottom of the bowl and down the machine.

There are only 3 buttons; Off, On, Pulse. They are also covered so nothing gets inside them. Also the bowl can't come off until you remove the lid from the bowl. Easy clean up as well.

I had a cheap Hamilton Beach. I grated Parmesan Cheese with it and it broke the disk. I continued to use it until it died. I decided I would ask for a workhorse next time I needed a replacement, hence the Xmas present.

I [stupid heart thingamajig] my KitchenAid appliances.

sazemisery  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-30-08 04:07 AM

8. My children gifted me with this one several years ago

after which photograph of a kitchen appliance

I use it when making copious amounts of pesto, peanut butter, bread, etc.

I find much more gratification out of chopping vegetables by hand when time is not a consideration.

Okay, question.

Is "food processor" the new politically-correct term for "blender"?

If so, franksolich has one, state-the-art, glass not plastic, and a giant of one.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

Re: primtives opine on food-processors
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »
A food processor has different blades than can slice, chop or shred things.    I got one for Christmas, actually.  (I love kitchen gadgets, and have never had one).  It's nice...makes dicing onion, or shredding potatoes or whatever FAST.  I've used it a few times, and can see it coming in handy when Mr Flame makes his salsa this summer. 

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:13:09 PM »
I got a KitchenAide food processor a couple years ago.  It's excellent, but I hardly have any use for it.  I'm used to doing everything by hand, so that's how it gets done.  I think the last time I used my KitchenAide was to make breadcrumbs.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
I have one, my second, but I would love one of the Cuisinart's with the large feed and bowl.

I use a mandolin for slicing and now that I got one with a thingamajig that goes on top of whatever is being sliced to hold it firm .....I am no longer slicing myself too. Before I got this one....I came pretty close to needing stitches a couple of times. I sliced off a whole chunk of my thumb....those puppies slice so well, that I wouldn't know I was sliced until I saw the blood.....which is very bad for both the potatoes and me.  :thatsright:

I use the food processor for chopping large quantities and it's wonderful. It's rare for me to do anything else with it. Best thing for chopping nuts though. Chop them frozen and they won't get pulverized.

I have a KitchenAid mixer that I use when making bread dough. I also have the grinder attachment that we will use for grinding meat - particularly venison for chili.

I highly recommend a mandolin....I found a plastic one at Ross's for less than $10 and it works just as well as the stainless one that was more money and sliced me because it didn't come with a "hand guard" which is mandatory I think. Crate and Barrel and Williams Sonoma carry them...but theirs are expensive.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 09:37:16 PM »
I would like one... it beats a box grater.  A good set of knives would be preferable.  If you bother to make the investment, yearly visits to a professional knife-sharpener makes a world of difference.  I used to work in a TGIF-type restaurant that used OMP (onions, peppers, and mushrooms) in nearly everything.  I must have sliced my own body weight in red onions. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »
I would like one... it beats a box grater.  A good set of knives would be preferable.  If you bother to make the investment, yearly visits to a professional knife-sharpener makes a world of difference.  I used to work in a TGIF-type restaurant that used OMP (onions, peppers, and mushrooms) in nearly everything.  I must have sliced my own body weight in red onions. 

We were at the Home Show several years ago, and bought a set of Chef Tony knives.....those suckers are wickedly sharp....and have not dulled one bit.

I know you have a Ross's over there....several of them....find the one closest to you, and check their kitchen aisles. They have some of the neatest stuff....cheap, too. Tuesday Morning has some neat stuff, but they are more expensive. I have picked up some additions to our Calphalon there....wonderful roasting pans at about 1/3 of what they would have been in the dept store.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »
We were at the Home Show several years ago, and bought a set of Chef Tony knives.....those suckers are wickedly sharp....and have not dulled one bit.

I know you have a Ross's over there....several of them....find the one closest to you, and check their kitchen aisles. They have some of the neatest stuff....cheap, too. Tuesday Morning has some neat stuff, but they are more expensive. I have picked up some additions to our Calphalon there....wonderful roasting pans at about 1/3 of what they would have been in the dept store.

I've almost considered the Chef Tony knives.  I bought a set of some "brand name" knives ten years ago and they are worthless now.  Tried to slice a pork loin for dinner today that had a skein of fat on it.  Damn knife wouldn't go through it... even the serrated knife barely went through.  Times like those are when you lose a finger.

I'm off Thursday.  I'll have to check them out.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »
I've almost considered the Chef Tony knives.  I bought a set of some "brand name" knives ten years ago and they are worthless now.  Tried to slice a pork loin for dinner today that had a skein of fat on it.  Damn knife wouldn't go through it... even the serrated knife barely went through.  Times like those are when you lose a finger.

I'm off Thursday.  I'll have to check them out.

I cut and prepare everything by hand where possible. The trick is to have a really really sharp knife, and a decent mortar and pestle.

The two knives I use the most , my chefs knife and filleting knife are both victornox brand blades. While far from top of the line, they're still good enough quality to be sharpened and I expect a good few years out of them.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »
I only use my food processor to grate carrots for my carrot cake.  I used to use it to mix up cake batters, but then I got a KitchenAid.

My friend was telling me I should get this little Black & Decker food processor.  It only holds a few cups, but she said it's perfect for chopping onions and such.

As far as knives, I have a set I got years ago and the steak knives and utility knife is the only one I use from it now.  My mom gave me a KitchenAid chef's knife last year for Christmas and it's still sharp and works great.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 07:51:47 PM »
 Hey Mia.....if your carrot cake calls for 3 cups of shredded carrots....3 jars of "junior" baby food carrots works.  :-) No muss, no fuss....

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
Hey Mia.....if your carrot cake calls for 3 cups of shredded carrots....3 jars of "junior" baby food carrots works.  :-) No muss, no fuss....

I enjoy grating the carrots.  To me it's all part of me making the cake.  Heck, I could buy grated carrots, but I choose to buy a bag of carrots, peeling them and grating them.  LOL!  I only bake the cake like twice a year, so I enjoy doing the whole process.

But thanks for the tip!
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »
That sounds pretty tasty. :)

I heard of someone using egg nogg instead of milk for her French Toast. :)  I have to remember that one.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 08:01:22 PM »
That sounds pretty tasty. :)

I heard of someone using egg nogg instead of milk for her French Toast. :)  I have to remember that one.

I posted my carrot cake recipe in the recipe forum a while ago.  It's really moist and delicious.  A friend's birthday is coming up and he loves it, so I'll make it for him (or cupcakes).
Stink Eye

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
I bet egg nog would be good....I like French toast made with French or Italian bread. I'd use Challah if I could find it here....it's fabulous for French toast.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »
Okay who's the Stinky primitive??

Knives......................oh where to start but first I must say

My name is crazy and I'm a knifeaholic

Two sets on the counter
various knives in two drawers
three new in the box sets in the closet

they're Henkels, Kershaws, Boker, Al Mar and more

Oh and I have a Bosch food machine............part processor, part mixer, part blender.  She does the job
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 02:17:25 PM »
CH, I never knew  :cheersmate:,  I just got a Cooks food processor.  It's got a motor on it that Tim the toolman would love.  I'm like Deb though, I've got a mandolin and love it though  I get some pleasure and tension relief out of chopping and slicing by hand ... it's the process.
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!