Author Topic: Field Trips Canceled After Students See Autopsy of Classmate  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Field Trips Canceled After Students See Autopsy of Classmate
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »
Field Trips Canceled After Students See Autopsy of Classmate

PONTIAC, Mich. —  A medical examiner's office in Michigan has canceled public school tours after a high school group watched the autopsy of a 14-year-old girl from their district.

The Detroit News reports Monday that Oakland County officials decided to stop the tours in Pontiac after they were contacted by the girl's parents, who were very upset about the March tour.

Mike Zehnder, the county's director of public services, says it was "a poor decision" to let the tour go on.

The newspaper reports the teacher who brought in the Waterford Kettering High School group was told the autopsy would be of a Waterford middle school student and discussed that with students.

LINK

Um, who thought it would be a good idea for high school kids to watch ANY autopsy?  WTF???

edited...was high school students, not middle school students.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:20:41 PM by lug-nut »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: Field Trips Canceled After Students See Autopsy of Classmate
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
LINK

Um, who thought it would be a good idea for middle school kids to watch ANY autopsy?  WTF???

Holy crap that's my High school! :o
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »
LINK

Um, who thought it would be a good idea for middle school kids to watch ANY autopsy?  WTF???

They weren't middle school kids.They were high school kids watching the autopsy of a middle schooler from the same school district!

Offline terry

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:18:35 PM »
That is totally insane.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »
They weren't middle school kids.They were high school kids watching the autopsy of a middle schooler from the same school district!
That's still crazy.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
I actually don't have a problem with it. Perhaps if kids are exposed to death outside of movies & video games they will be less apt to do some of the potentially deadly crap kids are prone to do. Wouldn't hurt to have some adults get some close up experience with death also.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 12:40:25 PM »
I actually don't have a problem with it. Perhaps if kids are exposed to death outside of movies & video games they will be less apt to do some of the potentially deadly crap kids are prone to do. Wouldn't hurt to have some adults get some close up experience with death also.

I was thinking the same thing. Whether it be drinking and driving, drugs, or shooting someone.

4 high school kids from a high school in Southern KY, just over the TN line....were killed Saturday night on the way to a Christmas Parade. The state police think they hit a patch of ice. 2 of them were twins. All four were in ROTC. So far, they don't think alcohol was an issue. Just bad luck and probably not knowing how to drive on ice.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »
-----------------
Call me Asshole one more time
I saw Hancock for the first time the other day -- not as bad the critics made it out to be.  And that was a great line (although derivative of Back to the Future "don't call me chicken" one).

Offline terry

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »

I think kids are exposed to death outside of movies & video games.  When I was in HS, at least one carload of kids died on a highway and one kid died of cancer.  I don't think one has to see an autopsy to have close up experience with death.  You can feel and know the loss without viewing the autopsy.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:35:45 PM »
Exposure to death and the reality of it is fine. But they could have picked someone who wasn't from their school district.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 06:51:18 PM »
Exposure to death and the reality of it is fine. But they could have picked someone who wasn't from their school district.

Agreed that it's somewhat morbid to consider that one of their classmates was on the table.

HOWEVER....As long as they were informed of what they were about to see and they knew and understood that the deceased was someone that they might've known, they (the parents) don't have a leg to stand on.

I can't imagine in this day and age of a parent having to sign a freaking note for a kid to get an aspirin at school that the parents didn't know about this autopsy AND signed off on it.

Quitcherbitchin' Mom & Dad. WTF difference does it make if it's a middle school student or a high school student? Anatomy looks the same. Dead is dead.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 07:18:49 PM »
PETA considers this a viable substitute for dissecting frogs in biology class. :)

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 06:14:29 AM »
I saw Hancock for the first time the other day -- not as bad the critics made it out to be.  And that was a great line (although derivative of Back to the Future "don't call me chicken" one).
That was one of the funniest parts of that movie! When he threw the french kid into space! :lmao: