Author Topic: where's everybody from (at)?  (Read 22236 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: where's everybody from (at)?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
The central part of the Nebraska Sandhills, in summer:

Look!  A hamburger!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline overlord

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »
Born in Milwaukee, but fortunately my family moved to FL when I was very young.  Spent a few years in central AL (loved it there too), then moved back to Polk County, FL back in July.
Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish

Women and children are precious resources to be protected at all costs.  Men are expendable commodities whose function is to protect those resources, at all costs.

So how does it feel to know that someone's kid in the heart of america has blood on their hands to defend your rights so you can maintain a lifestyle that insults his family's existence?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
Look!  A hamburger!

More likely, a fine exquisite steak.

Nebraska beef is not ordinary beef; it's the best in the world.

Cattle from South Dakota, from Iowa, from Kansas, from Colorado, from Wyoming, from Montana, get made into hamburger.

Cattle from Oklahoma and Texas get made into those 19-cent sticks of beef jerky one finds in convenience stores.

Cattle from Nebraska get made into those world-famous steaks.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 05:19:23 PM »
I was born in St. Louis and raised in Minneapolis..... in the land of Humphrey! Mondale! Wellstone! Jesse the Bod Ventura!   :uhsure:

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »
Do they expect any protests during that tournament? LOL  :lmao:

Doubtful. It only happened one year. They said they were bringing thousands, it was more like 15. The also complained about where the cops said they could protest. The fence of the ANGC is about 8 feet from Washington Road. The patrons use that to get through the gates. THOSE morons wanted to protest there. I can assure you, one of those moonbats would have been knocked into on-coming traffic. The place the cops reserved for them was across Washington Road. A plot of land owned by the ANGC and set aside by Hootie Johnson for the moonbats.

They got ZERO support. There were more cops there than there were protesters. **** Martha Burk.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 05:20:46 PM »
*Takes a deep breath*

Born in WV, moved to Northern Virginia when I was a baby, lived there my whole life, lived about a year in Maryland, lived in Fresno, CA for about 3 years, moved to Greensboro, NC, then back to Northern VA, lived in Nashville for a hot sec. and back to Fresno, CA. I am tired of moving and we are not moving again for a long time.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »
Great photograph, S Downing; it shows the utter beauty of the Nebraska landscape.

Nothing like it in the world.

That's the Ranch, Frank. I took it this Christmas while we were back.

The only thing I don't like is that it isn't quiet focused.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »
Born in Germany. Have lived in England, Maryland, Florida, Arizona, and now Ohio. I consider Florida my home state.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 05:25:34 PM »
Look!  A hamburger!

More likely, a fine exquisite steak.

Nebraska beef is not ordinary beef; it's the best in the world.

Cattle from South Dakota, from Iowa, from Kansas, from Colorado, from Wyoming, from Montana, get made into hamburger.

Cattle from Oklahoma and Texas get made into those 19-cent sticks of beef jerky one finds in convenience stores.

Cattle from Nebraska get made into those world-famous steaks.

I was traipsing through the woods of Tennesse one day with a couple friends.  We came upon some deer and that was my friend's response.  I haven't forgotten it.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »
Howdy ya'll ! 

North Carolina Facts and Trivia (as they pertain to me)
http://www.50states.com/facts/ncarolin.htm

High Point is known as the Furniture Capital of the World.

I work twice a year on what is called "Furniture Market".  I do everything from setting up the furniture to arranging and placing accessories to cleaning and stocking the bar/fridge/snacks.  While "Spring Market" is my favorite, no 2 markets are the same!  Very fast paced and exciting.

The University of North Carolina's mascot, the Tarheels, is a nickname for North Carolinians that supposedly came from the days when NC produced a lot of tar, and someone saw a set of footprints made by someone who had stepped in the tar.

My brother and Dad are/were the only true Tarheels in the family.  Dad was born, raised and is buried in Wilmington.  Dad was career Army and every where he and Mother went, they had a baby!  Brother was born at Womack Army Hospital.

Myself?  I'm the oldest of 3.  I was born in Ft. Benning, Ga.  My niece and her husband just had their 2nd child there.  My baby sister was born in Croix Chapeau, France.  From time to time she still has problems proving she's an American citizen.

My Dad passed away in France in an automobile accident.  I was not quite 4.  He was 27, Mother was 25 and left with 3 babies. 

10. Havelock is home of Marine Base "Cherry Point." It is the largest air base in the Marine Corps.

It's been told to me that my Dad hated the Marines!  Why?  In his teen yrs he worked at Carolina Beach which was a popular place back in the '50's for hanging out.  Mother said he complained that the Marines always got the pretty girls on the beach!  LOL!  Oh, well!  They missed one!  (my Mother)

14. The World War II battleship 'North Carolina' is permanently berthed on the Cape Fear River at Wilmington. She was saved from the scrap heap in the 1960's by public subscription, including donations of dimes by schoolchildren.

If you ever get the chance to see it, by all means, go! 

17. Krispy Kreme Doughnut was founded in Winston-Salem.
21. Winston-Salem was created when the two towns Winston and Salem combined.

I grew up in Winston Salem.  Lovingly referred to now by my family as "hell town".  Glad I moved away.

22. The Biltmore Estate in Ashville is America's largest home, and includes a 255-room chateau, an award-winning winery and extensive gardens.

Mother's birthday is 12/26, so one yr I took her to Biltmore for Christmas.  Unbelievable!  Breath-taking!  Pictures do NOT do this place justice!  A must see any time of year!

11. North Carolina is the largest producer of sweet potatoes in the nation.

Yuck!  I hate sweet potatoes!

27. Many people believe that North Carolina was the first state to declare independence from England with the Mecklenburg Declaration of 1775.

28. Grandfather Mountain, highest peak in the Blue Ridge, is the only private park in the world designated by the United Nations as an International Biosphere Reserve.

29. The Mile-High Swinging Bridge near Linville is 5,305 feet above sea level. The bridge actually hangs about 80 feet above the ground.

30. Pepsi was invented and first served in New Bern in 1898.

37. North Carolina leads the nation in furniture, tobacco, brick, and textile production.

^Just stuff I thought was interesting. 

This site fails to mention our zoo.  I can remember my Granny taking us kids way back when the zoo was just basically a gorilla in a cage with a tire swing!  It's just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live now.

http://www.nczoo.org/tour/

Yep!  I like calling North Carolina home!
Thanks for asking Frank!  ;)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »
I didn't care for Raleigh.  Creedmoor Mall floods every time it rains.  But you guys DO have the Outer Banks which beats any Florida beach hands down.  And I love me some Krispy Kreme.

edit: North Carolina gave the world Richard Petty.  May God bless the Tarheel State for ever and ever, amen. 

I bought a truck from an old man in China Grove, a small town outside of Kannapolis. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 05:50:02 PM by Chris »

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
Oklahoma City
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
Carolina beach would have had the jarheads from Lejuene more than Cherry Point.

Some more facts......

Dook sucks
Dook sucks
Dook Sucks!!!!!!

Pepsi was called Brads drink (I grew up in New Bern)

The original state capitol was in New Bern

Govenor Tryon was a British loving bastard

Blackbeard was killed behind Ocracoke Island

The original name for Beaufort Inlet was New Topsail Inlet, which gets confusing because there is a new topsail inlet also.

Pamlico county was once part of Craven county, it's called down in the county and has the missing district from craven.

The distinct diamonds on the Cape Lookout lighthouse were for the town of Diamond city which was a fishing community, after a bad storm most of the residents moved to Harkers Island.

Core banks was named after the coree indians who had built a bridge of mainly oyster shells across Core sound

there's more, but just from the top of my head
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
.....our very next door neighbors are from Nebraska....they met in college and went to.....Lincoln for school? I dunno... we love them. They are a fun little family.

If they went to Lincoln, the odds are they're University of Nebraska Cornhuskers, although Lincoln does have Wesleyan University and Union College.

And of course they're fun; they're from Nebraska after all.

Too many people get their impressions of Nebraska, their erroneous impressions, from movies such as Children of the Corn or Badlands; we're actually a very joyous group of people, we Nebraskans.

I mean, hey, don't you feel the joy that radiates from BrownEyedGirl and S Downing and me?

Grouchy people we aren't.

you said it! they are fun loving people with two adorable babies... one just newly born.

and I think they are Cornhuskers.. they have a red "N" in their front yard...

our other neighbors from Kansas have alittle rival going with their little college sign...  :-)

Offline Flame

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »
hmmm...born in the Houston area, raised in CO from about age 7.  Spent a yr in KC in High School.  Spent about 8 mths in Oregon in college.  Moved from CO to TN to FL, now I'm in WV all since 2002.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »
can we also say if we are boys or girls?

i just found out a long time member was a girl .. i feel kinda stupid..  :popcorn:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 06:21:11 PM »
I grew up outside of Detroit, now live in world famous Cut n Shoot TX.
If you look at a map, Houston and Conroe are suburbs of Cut n Shoot

Offline Flame

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »
can we also say if we are boys or girls?

i just found out a long time member was a girl .. i feel kinda stupid..  :popcorn:

<~~~~~~~girl

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
<---------------------- Girl.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 06:30:56 PM »
North Carolina.

Downeast was considered basically everything east of Raliegh at one time, I and many others consider it too be more the Craven, Pamlico, Carteret county areas, with the areas east and northeast of Beaufort NC being Down East.

These areas are rich in old fishing communities and boat building. There are probably more boat builders in that area than many other states have total.

I was in Homer, Alaska a couple years ago.  They have boat junkyards that would put Sanford and Son to shame.

Homer Alaska? :doh:  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »
I live in Athens Ga for now.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 06:36:49 PM »
North Carolina.

Downeast was considered basically everything east of Raliegh at one time, I and many others consider it too be more the Craven, Pamlico, Carteret county areas, with the areas east and northeast of Beaufort NC being Down East.

These areas are rich in old fishing communities and boat building. There are probably more boat builders in that area than many other states have total.

I was in Homer, Alaska a couple years ago.  They have boat junkyards that would put Sanford and Son to shame.

Homer Alaska? :doh:  :-)

They rolled up the sidewalk at 9:30. :yawn:

Offline Flame

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »

I have/had a relative that lives/d there!  My great aunt and her granddaughter...I spent a couple weeks with them when I was 13..we went to Six Flags.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »

are you a boy or a girl?  :popcorn:

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »
I'm in central CT about 10 minutes outside Hartford.

Born on and spent most of my life on Cape Cod.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.