Author Topic: primitives discuss debit card frauds  (Read 3403 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss debit card frauds
« on: September 02, 2017, 12:39:24 PM »
https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10029545226

Oh my.

elehhhhna (31,315 posts)     Sat Sep 2, 2017, 10:47 AM

Debit card cloned, 10k gone, bank denying claim. Advice?

Informed the bank asap on 8/9. They claim to have sent a denial letter 8/10 saying that because I had possession and was using the card during this activity there was no error on their part per the EFT act. Guess they figure I was using the card all over my neighborhood while it was simultaneously being used for cash and transfers across town in a highcrime area?

I have made them reopen the investigation which they allegedly performed in less than 24 hours. The 9k in Western Union transfers were done in increments of around $900 each. All the cash was pulled at a gas station atm - that address showed up on the statement.

I filed a police report yesterday (banks fraud unit did not not encourage this when we spoke. I asked if I should, they said I could but that the police won't do anything.) Bank claims they didn't flag the transactions because the pin was used. What now?

FSogol (34,337 posts)      Sat Sep 2, 2017, 11:10 AM

3. Same thing happened to me in July on a trip. Here's what happened:

Had the card in my possession in Virginia, yet someone in Miami started charging $400.17 increments until the account was wiped out. Called my credit union. They canceled the card, put the money back in my account pending investigation, and sent me affidavits to fill out. The following Monday, I picked up a new card. Within a week, the investigation concluded that the payments weren't legit and all the money was returned to my account.

My recommendation is that you keep calling them and don't accept their response. Did they have you fill out an affidavit?

After everything is concluded and you get your money back, move your account to a credit union. They are much more user friendly.

RKP5637 (47,158 posts)      Sat Sep 2, 2017, 11:15 AM

5. I had something somewhat similar happen. Used my debit card at a gas station, and then

noticed 2 charges of $200 each had been made at two gas stations. Notified my bank and they immediately issued a credit. It was investigated and found a card reader had been installed at the pump. My credit card was still in my possession. Sounds like your bank is giving you a runaround.

Corgigal (4,009 posts)     Sat Sep 2, 2017, 11:42 AM

9. Our bank account too was wiped out

I went to the secretariat festival, bought a teeshirt in Paris Kentucky. Checked our bank account at the hotel the next morning and was wiped out. What they did is purchased VIP tickets to a comedian act in Las Vegas. We didn't have as much as you. Around 1500 dollars. Called the bank, idiot didn't believe me. Called Ticketmaster so maybe they wouldn't honor the tickets, since the show was that evening, they did nothing.

Went home and called local tv station. Was asked if we would talk about it on camera. We said sure. TV station says nobody talks about this,even though it happens all the time cause people are embarrassed. I could care less.

Camera guy came out. Hubby, did the we went to visit our son at his college, went to a Secerariat festival blah, blah. Only had 3 dollars in the bank and were thankful we had credit cards to get home. TV crew called bank. Bank freaked out and got bumped up to priority banking. Our story ran the next day.

Money in bank the next day. I'm gonna mail you some key words to find the segment online.

I got no shame in my game, and I wasn't gonna lose.

Corgigal (4,009 posts)      Sat Sep 2, 2017, 11:58 AM

13. TV segment

It wasn't as much money as I though. Doesn't matter, still shocking. Our name is mispronounced and we don't live there anymore, actually moved to Kentucky a few months ago. However, the bank really did freak out and we shouldn't have been treated the way we were. If I can help, let me know.

after which a youtube of that television show featuring the primitive
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: primitives discuss debit card frauds
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »
Something sounds fishy, as always with DUmmy stories and tales of woe.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
Something sounds fishy, as always with DUmmy stories and tales of woe.

I'm wondering how it would be possible for a primitive to have $10,000 to put into a debit card account, unless the primitive stole it.

It's not like it'd be income from working in a job.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »
First of al you have to be a total idiot to have more than $100.00 in an account with a debit card, if you had $10,000.00 in one with a debit card you are a BIG F**King IDIOT.  :loser: :loser:
There is no reason to use one unless you can't get a real CC.

If you are doing business with a bank that won't refund fraudulent transactions you deserve to lose your $$$. I have 2 personal checking accounts, one for my bills with NO debit card and another for buying stuff on line with a debit card, this account NEVER has more than $100.00 in it and when it got hit a couple months ago it only took my bank les than 72 hours to clean up the mess and get me my $$ back.

Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 01:58:34 PM »
I saw this this a.m. and it made me soooo glad that I don't use a debit card. If someplace won't take a check and I don't have the cash, I will use a credit card.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »
A case study in 'Why I do not have or use a debit card,' and the one stretch where I did have one, I NEVER used it to pay for miscellaneous purchases, just at ATMs.  I do have a couple of credit cards, which have much more aggressive and attentive anti-fraud units than any local bank and somewhat better legal protections if all else fails.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »
I saw this this a.m. and it made me soooo glad that I don't use a debit card. If someplace won't take a check and I don't have the cash, I will use a credit card.

I still think the primitive needs to explain to his fellow primitives--and to the cops--the source of that $10,000 once in his account.  Also to my fellow alum Skins as to why he didn't hand some of it over for the care and maintenance of Skins's island.  One knows it wasn't honestly gotten.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:27:44 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
I still think the primitive needs to explain to his fellow primitives--and to the cops--the source of that $10,000 once in his account.  One knows it wasn't legitimate.

Probably dealing :stoner: :stoner: :stoner:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 04:18:03 PM »
DUmmie ran their debit card to pick up some drugs and pills, and the pusher scavenged the info off of his cell phone credit card reader.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
I'm wondering how it would be possible for a primitive to have $10,000 to put into a debit card account, unless the primitive stole it.

For a lot of DUmmies, it might just be inheritance.  But point taken.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
A case study in 'Why I do not have or use a debit card,' and the one stretch where I did have one, I NEVER used it to pay for miscellaneous purchases, just at ATMs.  I do have a couple of credit cards, which have much more aggressive and attentive anti-fraud units than any local bank and somewhat better legal protections if all else fails.

Kinda strange yet understandable how society has transitioned to be more cash less.  Credit/Debit cards are fine as long as used responsibly.  Still tend to carry cash, because as my late father used to say, you never know when a golf or card game might happen.  And you can't pay off those bets with a CC.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »
Kinda strange yet understandable how society has transitioned to be more cash less.  Credit/Debit cards are fine as long as used responsibly.  Still tend to carry cash, because as my late father used to say, you never know when a golf or card game might happen.  And you can't pay off those bets with a CC.

I use cash for any purchases possible under a hundred bucks or so, excepting pay at the pump gas.  'Using responsibly' unfortunately is not entirely in your own control, given the current state of ID theft tech.  I've had friends get cards compromised at reputable hotels and restaurants, and every couple of years one of my credit card fraud detection units nips some funny shit in the bud and I end up with a new card and account number, which has never cost me a dime.  Just assume any card number you use, no matter how cautiously, will be compromised at some point.  When it is, credit card protection is better than debit card protection.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
Use credit, not debit. Debit is direct withdrawal. With credit you have approx. 15 days to review your bill for fraud.

Liberals have trouble understanding these simple concepts.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »

Overdraft protection. In all likelihood, the DUmmie is out about 200 bucks and the bank is eating the rest.
and as funny as it is because it happened to a primitive, it is a serious matter.
Protect yourself.

DON'T link paypal (or anything else for that matter) to your primary checking account. Open a small, separate one (at a different bank preferably) for that and keep small amounts of money there.
NEVER use a debit card (that has direct access to your cash) online. Ever. ONLY use a credit card, one specifically kept for online purchases.
Get a program or something if you need to, but do NOT use the same passwords and PIN numbers for any 2 things. Make them ALL unique.
COVER the pin pad with your other hand when punching in your PIN at stores.
If you don't have one already, INSIST that your bank provide a card to you with embedded chip, and DON'T swipe it. If a store doesn't have a chip reader, don't shop there. Again, DON'T use the MAG strip. I've even gone so far as to erase the mag strip on my debit card to eliminate temptation. That data is easily read and copied. The chips require a hardware decrypting device to read and can't be copied or duplicated without the use of VERY expensive processes. ONLY use the chip.
Remember, debit cards are direct access to your CASH. Even if the bank sides with you, you will still be broke until they put the money back. You don't want to be in that position. Credit cards should be considered insurance, if it gets hijacked, so what. It's the banks or issuers problem, that's why you pay such high interest rates.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »
In reality the chips don't really help. My business card gets hit regularly with a chip. I only use it to buy from suppliers on the phone or on line.

If you want to avoid problems never have a debit card linked to any account with money you can't afford to lose and don't do business with a bank that won't cover your losses for a fraud.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »
Its not the chip getting hit, even the processors sometimes have moles inside who are stealing numbers.
Pretty much everyone in my life has had their card jacked at least once in the past.
the chips have cut down on counterfeit cards by at least half... and the only reason it's not near 100% is transactions that do NOT use the chip are being intercepted somewhere. The chip can't be read without the highly protected decryption method.
If you card is being hit, they are getting the numbers and codes in some other manner. That could be an inside job at the processors, someone physically having access to it, an online retailer, or the MAG strip