Author Topic: Tobin tries to help a friend.  (Read 478 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Tobin tries to help a friend.
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »
Sure, we give our good friend Tobin a rash of shit... oh sorry- that was insensitive in light of your IBS.... but he is trying to help a buddy out. More power to you Tobin.

Star Member Tobin S. (9,100 posts) http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018891886

An attempt to save an alcoholic friend.

I lost one friend to substance abuse in August and I'm afraid that I'm about to lose another. An alcoholic friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with heart problems. If he doesn't stop drinking and smoking he will soon be dead. He's only 42. Jason influenced me heavily back when I was considering getting into trucking. I loved his stories from the road and his mentality back then. He was full of pride and attitude. I credit him with saving my ass a few times because he helped me get into trucking. Damn, it's a long story. One that takes up about 60,000 words. I have written a book about my adventures on the road. I am hoping that that book will help save Jason's life. I can think of no better purpose for having written it although that wasn't my original intention. I'm going to send a letter and a copy of the manuscript to Jason's mom. What follows is the letter.

Hi Jean,

I’ve been thinking about how I can help Jason. I understand that there is not much I can do unless he truly wants help. However, I have come up with an idea. I wrote a book of short stories about my experiences as a trucker. They are very short. You can easily read one in a few minutes. I told Jason about the book and he told me that he doesn’t read- that he has trouble with it for some reason. This is where you come in.

I have sent you a copy of the manuscript of my book and I was hoping you could read the stories to Jason if he would like to hear them. If he does not, that’s okay. At least you two will have a copy of the manuscript and maybe Jason will be interested at a later date.

There is a story in the book about Jason. I have changed his name to Rick in the story and that is the title of the piece. You will know that it’s about him when you read it. If you run across this story, read it before you read it to Jason. It’s not a very happy story and I don’t want to upset him. I have not slandered him, but I have told the truth about the way I feel.

Jason has told me on several occasions that he is sorry that he got me into trucking. I’m not sure why he feels that way. Maybe it has something to do with his own experiences in the industry. Personally, I see it as a godsend. When I first got into trucking, I was in a very bad place in my mind, and I didn’t want to be around anyone. Trucking allowed me to make a living while having limited contact with people. Yes, I was very anti-social, but I couldn’t help it. I was mentally ill. It would be ten years before I finally started to get the treatment that I needed. I don’t know what I would have done if it hadn’t have been for trucking.

Fast forward to today. Trucking has bailed me out yet again. I lost my job on July 5th of this year through no fault of my own. It was the first time I had ever been fired from a job in my life. It was a terrible experience. But guess what? Because I have a Class A CDL, a clean driving record, and a lot of trucking experience, I was able to land a new job in trucking by August 15th. That was actually the longest I had ever been unemployed since I’ve been a trucker. So I’ve always been able to turn it around with a quickness thanks to being a qualified trucker.

Jason seems to think that he has done me a disservice by influencing my decision to be a trucker, but he has in reality saved my ass on at least two occasions without even knowing it.

So, I feel like I owe Jason. Like I said, I know I can’t really help him unless he asks for it, but when he does I will do what I can to help him turn things around. I’m also hoping that if he decides to hear these stories and if you decide to read them to him that it just might plant a seed of hope in his mind that has the potential to blossom into a recovery. Trucking is a great adventure and I think it is still possible that Jason has some trucking days left in him…but he needs to change, and that’s the hardest thing for a man to do on his own volition. He has a lot of work cut out for him if he ever wants to be well again.

Peace to you and Jason,

Toby

P.S.- Without Jason these stories do not exist.

Just go and be a positive influence on his life, Tobin. He needs help- go and help him.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Tobin tries to help a friend.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:08:43 AM »
An illiterate alcoholic and Tubbs wants him behind the wheel of a truck?  :o

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:49:39 AM »
Having been clean and sober from alcohol for almost seven years, I applaud Tobin for this.  Alcoholism is a horrendous disease of the mind.  The things that I did, and considered doing, to get that next buzz really piss me off, that I could lose control over my impulses.  The thing is, if an active alcoholic doesn't want to be sober, no amount of persuasion is going to convince that alcoholic otherwise.  I dearly hope that Tobin is successful in this endeavor.  But, as I said two sentences above, the sot has to want to get sober.

Good luck, Tobin.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 06:49:57 AM »
Being similarly serious, a redeemed (whatever) is far better than having a (whatever) dying of and mired in that (whatever). I hope Tobers is able to help his friend see, acknowledge, and act on his need.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 06:54:05 AM »
Based only on the headline, I expected this:

TobinS

Does anyone know where to buy foot-wide industrial strength toilet paper?

I'm asking for a friend.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:51:44 AM »
The book should be titled thus: Trucking and Me, a Love Affair.

In fact Tobin loves the adventurous life on the road so much he went to night school to get an associates degree in business.

As others have said I wish him well in his efforts to save his friend. Most of the dummies would just go ahead and post a bouncy detailing the heroic efforts that already saved a friend in a similar situation. So we are correct, Tobin is actually a better human being that the vast number of primitives. But still, Tubby is in a constant quest for at-a-boys from the DU Brain Trust.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »
Having been clean and sober from alcohol for almost seven years, I applaud Tobin for this.  Alcoholism is a horrendous disease of the mind.  The things that I did, and considered doing, to get that next buzz really piss me off, that I could lose control over my impulses.  The thing is, if an active alcoholic doesn't want to be sober, no amount of persuasion is going to convince that alcoholic otherwise.  I dearly hope that Tobin is successful in this endeavor.  But, as I said two sentences above, the sot has to want to get sober.

Good luck, Tobin.

Ditto. I had my 10 year anniversary on April 23rd. There was a time when I couldn't imagine going a couple of days without a drink much less 10 years.  Alcoholism is a disease of the spirit and and takes a spiritual adjustment to get past it. My prayers are with Tobin and his friend.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.