Author Topic: Tobin S. having a rough go  (Read 699 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Tobin S. having a rough go
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018735038

Oh my.

It's probably not kosher, highlighting the unfortunate luck of a primitive who's honestly trying to better himself, but damn it, his fellow primitives on Skins's island aren't producing the material the DUmpster needs--including even in the usually-fertile cooking and baking and mental health forums--and so one's stuck with taking what one can get.

Tobin S. (7,432 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 03:16 PM

I'm having a rough go of it on the job search.

There are jobs out there, but they are mostly entry level deals making 30k a year. I'm 42 and I have bills. I can't make it on that.

I might have an interview for a truck driving position. It pays in the 50s the first year and the low 70s the second year. I also am looking at a different company that's paying 80k for truckers on a dedicated account. The draw back to both jobs is that you have to unload the truck. That's why they pay so well. Most drivers don't want to unload trucks and won't take those kinds of jobs even if they pay better.

Yeah, it's the ol' supply and demand deal. I have a bachelor's degree now, but the job market is basically flooded with people like me who went back to school when the market tanked. So even though I have the degree I can't find anything in my field that pays well. There are probably truckers out there who didn't even graduate from high school who are making 70k-80k a year, just because they are in demand. I think truckers are worth that, but a good education should count for something, too.

CaliforniaPeggy (114,087 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 03:22 PM

1. I am sorry to hear this, my dear Tobin...

I'm pleased (and not surprised!) that you see the situation so clearly. Deluding yourself sure doesn't help, does it?

Didn't you say there might be a change at the top in your current company? Perhaps you could hold on to see if that materializes? This is just my thought right now, and I may be way off base!

Good luck, no matter what road you decide to take. 

Tobin S. (7,432 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 03:32 PM

2. I've heard a rumor that a dispatcher is going to be quitting this summer

where I currently work, but I don't think I would even be in consideration for the job. I'm also not sure I would want it, and I don't think it would pay much better than what I'm making there now.

I'm basically type-cast* at my current employer. That's the price you have to pay sometimes for being very good at doing a hard job. The good news is that I'll always have a job there. The bad news is that I can't move out of my current position and up the ladder.

I could stay with what I'm doing now and be okay. I've written about that before and it is tempting. However, I will never really be able to get ahead financially there, or it will be several more years before I am able to. That's why I'm looking at other driving jobs right now.

*<<<been there, done that; that's basically what happens to "handicapped" people when hired by Democrats, liberals, and primitives, so as to show off their "social sensitivity" and "goodness."

noamnety (19,217 posts)  Sun Mar 8, 2015, 04:14 PM 

3. Can you arrange to subcontract the unloading?

Seems like you could get a team of people through CL in the locations you'd go to, who would be willing to unload for a decent price and be on text alert, and you'd still come out ahead.

Tobin S. (7,432 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 05:43 PM

7. There would be liability issues and I doubt my customers would allow it.

Besides, I need the exercise.

cwydro (16,259 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 04:48 PM

4. I earned a degree right after high school Tobin.

Now I'm in my 50's. It ain't easy street anymore just because you have a degree.

I know many, many young people just out of college. Some are bilingual; all are attractive and intelligent with good communication skills.

They're all working in call centers.

magical thyme (10,186 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 05:26 PM

5. sorry to read that, but not surprised

As you wrote, a lot of people went back to school with the recession. The jobs numbers are better, but the quality of the jobs has declined. There's just not a lot of "good" jobs out there.

If you have to stay in your current job, or current field, maybe it's time for you to consider that a message from the universe that instead of starting a new career, it's a good time to focus on finishing and publishing your book. That could lead you in an entirely different -- and potentially more satisfying -- direction.

Seriously, if I could get enough focus to write a book...that's where I'd be at!

^^^must be a clandestine message to franksolich.

Tobin S. (7,432 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 05:46 PM

8. Getting published is very difficult

A lot of writers who are much better than me don't have book deals. In my case, I will probably have to self-publish it if I want the book to see the light of day.

I might get lucky, but I doubt it.

progressoid (33,899 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 05:35 PM

6. Yep

My wife is 53 and has been looking for a year. Sadly, 30K would like like the lottery at this point.

Liberal_in_LA (35,316 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 05:54 PM

9. sending you good jobhunting vibes. dont give up

^^^typical Skippy-like primitive response; i.e., not a very useful one.

riderinthestorm (17,479 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 07:27 PM

10. You will never regret that you went back for that degree, no matter the job search

or where you finally end up working.

That education in and of itself is valuable on so many levels big and small.

Hang in there! 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Tobin S. having a rough go
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:38:59 PM »
noamnety (19,217 posts)  Sun Mar 8, 2015, 04:14 PM 

3. Can you arrange to subcontract the unloading?

Seems like you could get a team of people through CL in the locations you'd go to, who would be willing to unload for a decent price and be on text alert, and you'd still come out ahead.

:rotf: :rofl: :rotf:

A lot of places, that'd be a sure recipe to make sure Tobin, the truck, and its contents were never seen in identifiable form again.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
Unload the ****ing truck you lazy half wit.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:42:30 PM »
Tobin S. (7,432 posts)    Sun Mar 8, 2015, 03:16 PM

I'm having a rough go of it on the job search.

There are jobs out there, but they are mostly entry level deals making 30k a year. I'm 42 and I have bills. I can't make it on that.

I might have an interview for a truck driving position. It pays in the 50s the first year and the low 70s the second year. I also am looking at a different company that's paying 80k for truckers on a dedicated account. The draw back to both jobs is that you have to unload the truck. That's why they pay so well. Most drivers don't want to unload trucks and won't take those kinds of jobs even if they pay better.

Yeah, it's the ol' supply and demand deal. I have a bachelor's degree now, but the job market is basically flooded with people like me who went back to school when the market tanked. So even though I have the degree I can't find anything in my field that pays well. There are probably truckers out there who didn't even graduate from high school who are making 70k-80k a year, just because they are in demand. I think truckers are worth that, but a good education should count for something, too.

But, but. but I thought the O'conomy is going gangbusters?? It must be true cause the MSM said so!!!!

Look dummie... you wanted it, you worked for it, you were successful and got obumbles elected to a second term. Now you can embrace the suck, dummy.  Embrace it long and hard.

I have zero sympathy. None. I hope you sit in the cold and starve on the bread crumbs the lib dems throw you. Serves you right.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 11:13:32 PM »
I saw  somewhere that the unemployment rate for college educated workers is less than 2%.
For those without a college degree it's 15 to 20%.
Tobin either doesn't have a degree or is being far too picky about jobs available.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »
I saw  somewhere that the unemployment rate for college educated workers is less than 2%.
Tobin either doesn't have a degree or is being far too picky about jobs available.

He wants to be paid a salary that a 42 year old person with a degree gets. He does not understand that he is not going to get that because he is a newly minted graduate.  Experience and a track record matters when it comes to salary. Same as any job.  Common mistake the dummies make... just cause you got that sheepskin, you still got to work and chances are you got to work waaay more than an hourly employee.  Hence the bigger salary.

Now if this was someone here, they would take the job at the lower pay, work another part time job to make up the difference, take on all the shit jobs, get them done, and then in two or three years prove to the boss they were worth giving a raise to.  Bosses typically like that.

Dummies? They go on a message board and whine.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 11:45:07 PM »

He probably does have the four-year degree, and in business administration as he alleges.

The Tobin S. primitive isn't known for lying, and it's eminently credible that he's a hard worker.

Here's what I figure; he's a big boy, and looks the overall-wearing type.

He's not exactly assertive, and his spells of insanity of course have impaired his background.

What to do?  I'm not sure, because I've spent my own life trying to smash what I think is a grossly unfair public perception--especially prevalent among Democrats, liberals, and primitives--of deaf people, and quite obviously I've had about as much luck as trying to get rid of the Rock of Gibraltar with a nail-file.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline HawkHogan

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 12:36:52 AM »
If he can make double driving a truck, why doesn't he do it?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 06:30:52 AM »
If he can make double driving a truck, why doesn't he do it?

He'd rather bitch, moan, and complain about not getting recognized for his degree.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
DUmmy Tobin S., during his interludes of sanity, could form a truck-driving team with DUmmy rsmithnumbers.

rsmithnumbers could handle the forward gears, while Tobin S. could concentrate on backing up.

They'd make a great team, and you can bet they'd put together a dynamite resume.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
DUmmy Tobin S., during his interludes of sanity, could form a truck-driving team with DUmmy rsmithnumbers.

rsmithnumbers could handle the forward gears, while Tobin S. could concentrate on backing up.

They'd make a great team, and you can bet they'd put together a dynamite resume.

So each of them is barely half a man...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HggAV7V6Wg[/youtube]

the 2 of us working together, at full capacity, could do the work of a normal man...THAT SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.