Author Topic: House Democrat demands McConnell recuse himself from impeachment...  (Read 711 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member babylonsister (162,634 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212779971

House Democrat starts what should be groundswell, demands McConnell recuse himself from impeachment
Joan McCarter
Daily Kos Staff
Friday December 13, 2019 · 2:56 PM EST

House Judiciary Committee member Rep. Val Demings, a Florida Democrat, is demanding that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell recuse himself from the Senate's impeachment trial.

She accused McConnell of promising the White House to "sabotage" the trial. "No court in the country would allow a member of the jury to also serve as the accused’s defense attorney. The moment Senator McConnell takes the oath of impartiality required by the Constitution, he will be in violation of that oath," she said in a statement. That's in response to McConnell's admission on Sean Hannity's Fox News show Thursday night that he would act on Trump's behalf. "Everything I do during this, I'm coordinating with White House counsel," he said. "There will be no difference between the president's position and our position as to how to handle this."

He would be in violation of his oath, as Demings pointed out, referencing Article 1, Section 3 of the Constitution which delineates "The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation." That oath, or affirmation, every senator will take says "that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of [President Trump], now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God."

Demings should not stand alone. Every Democrat—including Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her leadership team and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and his team—should join her. And they should publicly shame any Republican senator still capable of feeling that emotion who is allowing McConnell to get away with this.

Sign the petition: Mitch McConnell must recuse himself from Trump impeachment trial.

https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/petitions/sign-the-petition-mitch-mcconnell-must-recuse-himself-from-trump-impeachment-trial

Go **** yourself, Democrats. We are tired of your shit.

maxsolomon (20,488 posts)

4. She is correct; he won't recuse himself.

This is what he acquired Power for. He's going to submarine the trial, and the Bidens will get dragged as surely as if Ukraine had faked a corrupt investigation.

Roberts will look like a statue - nothing to do but sit still.

I hope they drag every single Dem who had a hand in this farce through the process of a trail in the Senate to show the American People just how close  a coup attempt came.

Star Member kacekwl (3,582 posts)

7. Like trump he said it loud and clear. I guess they think it they outright say it it's ok then. If you don't want to honor your oath RESIGN.

:bird:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: House Democrat demands McConnell recuse himself from impeachment...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »
If there is a trial in the Senate, the Chief Justice of the USSC would preside, not Senator McConnell. Unlike in Schifftyroo's and Nadlerroo's kangaroo court hearings.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 06:23:29 PM »
A House Democrat? :ohnoes:

Doesn't mean jack shit in the Senate, bitch.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »
If there is a trial in the Senate, the Chief Justice of the USSC would preside, not Senator McConnell.

They appear not to be aware of this.  Play a shitty game, win shitty prizes, DUmmies. 

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 08:07:46 PM »
They appear not to be aware of this.  Play a shitty game, win shitty prizes, DUmmies.

I won't speak for what DUpipo know, but most House Dems know but are playing a game based on their assumption that most normal Americans do not know.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »
LOLGF
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 09:39:18 AM »
DUms think there's actually a fourth authoritarian body out there, which will 'get' Senators and 'get' Judges in real-time. IOW, Mitch is in danger of being physically jailed because he didn't recuse himself.