Author Topic: RIP Norm Macdonald - And some of his best OJ jokes that got him fired from SNL  (Read 894 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Was so saddened to hear that beloved Canadian comic and Saturday Night Live Weekend Update host Norm Macdonald passed away this afternoon at age 61.

'SNL' alum Norm Macdonald dead at 61
The comedian was privately battling cancer

Norm Macdonald, known for his time on "Saturday Night Live," has died, Fox News can confirm. He was 61 years old.

According to Deadline, the comedian had been privately battling cancer for nine years.

Macdonald's longtime producing partner and friend Lori Jo Hoekstra was reportedly at his side when he passed.

Macdonald was the son of two schoolteachers raised in Quebec City, Canada, and worked as a standup comic before starting out as a writer on "Roseanne" in 1992.

Then, he became an "SNL" cast member from 1993 until 1999. He famously anchored the show's Weekend Update sketch for three seasons and was replaced by Colin Quinn.

Macdonald became known for his esoteric impressions, including Burt Reynolds, who gave Will Ferrell’s Alex Trebek character grief on "Celebrity Jeopardy." He also impersonated Bob Dole, Larry King and David Letterman.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/norm-macdonald-dead

His sardonic and dry wit was hilarious, although admittedly not everyone's cup of tea.

You provided millions of us with your humor, Norm.  May you rest in peace.   A very nice compilation of his jokes regarding OJ Simpson that eventually got him fired.

https://youtu.be/2SSVIg4Noqc
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
That's why there was some old butthurt popping up in my feeds about a joke he cracked on Weekend Update about the murder of a transexual 25 years ago.  Looking at it, it wasn't good taste, but man, the left sure keeps iron grips on grudges don't they?

One of the last funny cast members I remember from SNL.  Haven't watched it in decades.  He was still a bit player who popped in every once in a while. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Never heard of the guy until yesterday. To me, SNL stopped being funny about the time Eddie Murphy was active, but even then, the original cast of Belushi, Aykroyd, Newman (drugged out zombie that she was), Curtin, Chase, Morris, Murray, and Radner was the best.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

That's why there was some old butthurt popping up in my feeds about a joke he cracked on Weekend Update about the murder of a transexual 25 years ago.  Looking at it, it wasn't good taste, but man, the left sure keeps iron grips on grudges don't they?

One of the last funny cast members I remember from SNL.  Haven't watched it in decades.  He was still a bit player who popped in every once in a while.

I'm sure every comedian has said something that some blue checkmark Twitter jagoff would try to destroy them for saying in jest once.

Norm was in the era post Mike Myers/Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman/Jon Lovitz.  His cast members were sufficiently raunchy, including Sandler/Spade/Farley/Chris Rock.  Norm was not an actor, much like Dennis Miller so rarely was used in skits but could write monologues and perform Weekend Update.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Never heard of the guy until yesterday. To me, SNL stopped being funny about the time Eddie Murphy was active, but even then, the original cast of Belushi, Aykroyd, Newman (drugged out zombie that she was), Curtin, Chase, Morris, Murray, and Radner was the best.

Hey, it is all about the generation that one grew up in.  Was only a kid during the beginning of SNL, but have watched those episodes and it is still funny as hell.

Was in my 20's when Norm/Spade/Sandler/Farley were on the show, and it was appointment TV on Saturday nights.

Agreed that SNL always continues to go downhill.  Tried to watch a few times in the past decade, usually if there was an interesting guest host.  But otherwise, it is a complete dumpster fire.  Watched when Eddie Murphy hosted a while back, and comedian Bill Burr as well.  The entire show has become a woke-a-thon and not even entertaining.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Hey, it is all about the generation that one grew up in.  Was only a kid during the beginning of SNL, but have watched those episodes and it is still funny as hell.

Was in my 20's when Norm/Spade/Sandler/Farley were on the show, and it was appointment TV on Saturday nights.

Agreed that SNL always continues to go downhill.  Tried to watch a few times in the past decade, usually if there was an interesting guest host.  But otherwise, it is a complete dumpster fire.  Watched when Eddie Murphy hosted a while back, and comedian Bill Burr as well.  The entire show has become a woke-a-thon and not even entertaining.

One of the reasons I stopped watching SNL involved just getting older. You have to hold a gun to my head to get me to stay up to 11 PM, much less watch that stuff on the tube that I don't look at anyway.  :rotf:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

One of the reasons I stopped watching SNL involved just getting older. You have to hold a gun to my head to get me to stay up to 11 PM, much less watch that stuff on the tube that I don't look at anyway.  :rotf:

I'm getting to that point as well.  Ditto to popular music/movies/current TV shows.  Only pay attention sparingly to mine for trivia data and interesting things to ask.  Never thought I'd turn into that guy, especially in my early 50's.