Author Topic: Dump Facebook NOW and I mean YOU!  (Read 1219 times)

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
Dump Facebook NOW and I mean YOU!
« on: January 07, 2021, 10:26:02 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/07/donald-trump-twitter-ban-comes-to-end-amid-calls-for-tougher-action

Donald Trump will be suspended from Facebook and Instagram indefinitely and at least until the end of his time in office, Mark Zuckerberg has said, as a consequence of his support for the rioters who stormed the US Capitol on Wednesday.

You must close your account NOW.  I don't want to hear about: "I only want to share photos of the grandkids".  Get over it, use email.  Your participation at any level is financial support of the enemy.  If you do not do this please refrain from complaining about any political event again.  You have abdicated your civil responsibility and are complicit in our downfall.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Dump Facebook NOW and I mean YOU!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 12:18:55 PM »
I dumped mine 6 weeks ago.  Never going back
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »
I've been gone a year.  They make it as difficult as they can to actually delete your account.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 06:23:24 PM »
I dumped mine 6 weeks ago.  Never going back

Ditto.

Never set foot in Twitter, so nothing for me to do there.

FB is every bit as fascist as Twitter. Who needs that crap?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 11:47:33 PM »
I dumped my acct a few weeks ago. Shumckerberg kicks me off all the time anyway
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 08:11:58 PM »
I've been gone a year.  They make it as difficult as they can to actually delete your account.

KC

I still have maybe a dozen FB friends who have died and still get their birthday notifications each year.  Including a couple of our deceased members here.  It is almost impossible to completely delete an account there.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 08:56:24 AM »
Spot on, Old Dog.
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 10:22:52 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/07/donald-trump-twitter-ban-comes-to-end-amid-calls-for-tougher-action

You must close your account NOW.  I don't want to hear about: "I only want to share photos of the grandkids".  Get over it, use email.  Your participation at any level is financial support of the enemy.  If you do not do this please refrain from complaining about any political event again.  You have abdicated your civil responsibility and are complicit in our downfall.

While I support anyone choosing to opt out of FB, I also feel conflicted about abandoning the front.  Yes, we are throwing rocks at a battleship, but as David and Goliath and Star Wars teaches, a well aimed rock is all it takes sometimes.  No, probably not to open the floodgates of truth on any social media, but at least to some individual who isn't seeing those truths, spiritual or political, anywhere else. 

It's slightly different than a boycott.  FB makes money off our data, and their own numbers.  As has been mentioned, actually deleting an account is difficult, meaning even those abandoned accounts are included when Zuck tells advertisers how many eyes may see their ads.  I saw an article a while back claiming FB gathers posted data about people who don't have accounts to help figure out how to draw them in and be ready for them if those people show up.  So even abandoning the platform doesn't guarantee they aren't using you somehow. 

To me it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  Admittedly, I'm not dropping it, mostly due to the family who use it as primary means of communication.  One of these days I will likely snap, go full on keyboard kommando and get banned, but until then i do plan to keep slinging a few stones, or tilting at windmills, depending on one's view. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
While I support anyone choosing to opt out of FB, I also feel conflicted about abandoning the front.  Yes, we are throwing rocks at a battleship, but as David and Goliath and Star Wars teaches, a well aimed rock is all it takes sometimes.  No, probably not to open the floodgates of truth on any social media, but at least to some individual who isn't seeing those truths, spiritual or political, anywhere else. 

It's slightly different than a boycott.  FB makes money off our data, and their own numbers.  As has been mentioned, actually deleting an account is difficult, meaning even those abandoned accounts are included when Zuck tells advertisers how many eyes may see their ads.  I saw an article a while back claiming FB gathers posted data about people who don't have accounts to help figure out how to draw them in and be ready for them if those people show up.  So even abandoning the platform doesn't guarantee they aren't using you somehow. 

To me it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  Admittedly, I'm not dropping it, mostly due to the family who use it as primary means of communication.  One of these days I will likely snap, go full on keyboard kommando and get banned, but until then i do plan to keep slinging a few stones, or tilting at windmills, depending on one's view.

Been a member of Facebook since 2009 (I think), but took a different approach to the platform.  Decided to not discuss politics there.  Appreciate my conservative friends who do fight the good fight, and will like people's conservative posts or memes.  If I want to talk politics, I visit here or CU.

As an analogy, I wouldn't demand that McDonald's serve me fried chicken.  There are other better places to find it.

All along my approach was to reconnect with college/high school friends, family members.  And I also use it to occasionally promote my side business.

Que sera sera, for now it is a free country and we can make our own personal decisions in that regard.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Articulate Ape

• ad hominid
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »
Facebook, like Twitter, is enemy territory.  The difference is that Facebook collects much more data on its users. In any case, it sounds like you have convinced yourself to stay on the platform. However, to say it's about connecting with family when there are so many other ways to do so is a tad simplistic. Facebook is ****ing evil as far as I'm concerned and people are genuinely compromising their privacy and free speech by using the platform.
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Workover

• Retired and loving it
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 12:27:30 PM »
Never joined either of them. This is my third forum and I’ve been on LinkedIn for years. There’s too much politics there but I’m there for the old friendships, passing along information to the younger set and nothing the accomplishments of some of my trainees.
If you’re not having fun it’s your own damn fault!

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »
Got no choice.  I have a Quest and there is NO alternative.  Facebook owns Oculus which not only makes Quest but most of the VR games today.

Now USING fb is another story   I don't directly.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 06:19:14 PM »
I dumped FB about 6 months ago. Out of curiosity, I asked Mrs E to check and see if my account was gone.

It is.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.