Author Topic: Teachers Fired Update  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

Teachers Fired Update
« on: February 24, 2010, 05:09:22 AM »
CENTRAL FALLS — The full force of organized labor showed up in Central Falls Tuesday, with several hundred union members rallying in support of the city’s teachers and bringing plenty of harsh words for the education officials who were about to fire the entire teaching staff at Central Falls High School.

“This is immoral, illegal, unjust, irresponsible, disgraceful and disrespectful,” said George Nee, president of the Rhode Island AFL-CIO, to shouts and cheers from a crowd of more than 500 at Jenks Park. “What is happening here tonight is the wrong thing … and we’re not going to put up with it.”

Signaling the national significance of the situation in Central Falls, the American Federation of Teachers sent representative Mark Bostic with a message of support from the union’s 1.4 million members.

“We are behind Central Falls teachers, and we will be here as long as it takes to get justice,” said Bostic.

FBaggins (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-23-10 11:23 PM
Response to Original message
2. One of the two board member who voted against the action sums up the feelings of many
 B.K. Nordan is a graduate of the HS in question and is a social studies teacher in RI. He voted against the firings, but his words were biting.

"I don’t believe this is a worker’s rights issue. I believe it’s a children’s rights issue,” Nordan said. “…By every statistical measure I’ve seen, we are not doing a good enough job for our students … The rhetoric that these are poor students, ESL students, you can imagine the home lives … this is exactly why we need you to step up, regardless of the pay, regardless of the time involved. This city needs it more than anybody. I demand of you that you demand more of yourself and those around you.”
proud2BlibKansan  (1000+ posts)        Tue Feb-23-10 11:39 PM
Response to Reply #2
6. What he should have said:
 We need you to step up and we will see that you are compensated for the additional time involved. We realize this is a team effort and this board recognizes you as a vital part of that team. Our children are worth the additional expenditures.
Noob is confused:
Travis_0004 (67 posts)      Wed Feb-24-10 12:05 AM
7. I don't understand why the teachers are being blamed at all
Hannah DUmbell sets him straight:
Hannah Bell (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-24-10 05:54 AM
Response to Reply #7
11. 60% of the people in the town speak a non-english language at home.
 something like half are below the poverty level.

70% are renters.

most are low-income hispanic workers. i've read that transiency in the district is high.

gee, i wonder if any of those things could have something to do with below average test scores in the district?

nah, i'm sure it's all because of the teachers'.

i do think the super should cut her $140K salary in solidarity with the low-income students in her district, though. she only runs seven schools.

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Alpha Mare

Re: Teachers Fired Update
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:30:52 AM »
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Rhode Island Education Commissioner Deborah Gist has approved a school district's plan to fire all its teachers. Central Falls Superintendent Fran Gallo has proposed laying off all teachers at Central Falls High School as part of a "turnaround" model for the school.
FBaggins (1000+ posts)      Tue Feb-23-10 09:47 PM
3. It's done
 The board voted to approve the decision.

It may be procedural, perhaps even required, but it struck me as overly harsh that they read out the names of each teacher as they fired them.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=219x19837

Comment from article linked in thread:
The songs are getting old. Teachers, when accountability is questioned, instantly start singing the same old tune. We, the uneducated people, don't know what it's like...We, who are not educators, have no right to question or complain...How arrogant to think that the average taxpayer is so misinformed about the issues. How arrogant to imply we do not know the time, energy and work that good teachers put into their profession. Many highly educated professionals are losing their livlihoods from a downturned economy. They are not exempt, but they are evaluated on their productivity and performance, and hopefully will be retained. How arrogant for a whole profession to think that they are above it all. It's time for the teaching profession to come to terms with some basic facts: Not ALL teachers are good teachers, even if they wanted to be teachers all their lives. Taxpayers simply can not afford to employ those who can not produce effective results.

- Charlton Heston

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:07 AM »
The songs are getting old. Teachers, when accountability is questioned, instantly start singing the same old tune. We, the uneducated people, don't know what it's like...We, who are not educators, have no right to question or complain...How arrogant to think that the average taxpayer is so misinformed about the issues. How arrogant to imply we do not know the time, energy and work that good teachers put into their profession. Many highly educated professionals are losing their livlihoods from a downturned economy. They are not exempt, but they are evaluated on their productivity and performance, and hopefully will be retained. How arrogant for a whole profession to think that they are above it all. It's time for the teaching profession to come to terms with some basic facts: Not ALL teachers are good teachers, even if they wanted to be teachers all their lives. Taxpayers simply can not afford to employ those who can not produce effective results.

Exellent post.

Offline longview

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 06:04:17 AM »
I really hope the district can make this stick.  Might help districts around the country that are dealing with similar problems. 

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:12:56 AM »
Now if they could do the same thing to all of Lawrence, Massachusetts life would be good.

But that will never happen as the corrupt machine that runs the city has its tentacles in everything.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »
I really hope the district can make this stick.  Might help districts around the country that are dealing with similar problems. 

If it DOESN'T stick, public education in this country has no chance of improving.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:43:14 AM »

I hope teachers across the country learn something from this... maybe even understand the NEA is not on their side. Unless their bad teachers, then it is.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:02:32 AM »
My friend is teaching in Texas with "Teach for America."  Apparently her district has a policy where if test scores are below a certain level for 5 years, they fire all the teachers, and the teachers have to reapply for their job.  Well, I guess this is year number five, so my friend is expecting that they will all be fired this summer.  Fortunately, she has had an offer from another local school, so she will have options. 

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 09:09:20 AM »
My friend is teaching in Texas with "Teach for America."  Apparently her district has a policy where if test scores are below a certain level for 5 years, they fire all the teachers, and the teachers have to reapply for their job.  Well, I guess this is year number five, so my friend is expecting that they will all be fired this summer.  Fortunately, she has had an offer from another local school, so she will have options. 

So they fire the good teachers along with the bad? They must understand that they are more likely to lose the good ones.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
So they fire the good teachers along with the bad? They must understand that they are more likely to lose the good ones.

But, since the fired teachers have to reapply, it gives the district the option of rehiring the good teachers.  I'll bet that it is easier to fire them all than to just pick out the bad ones and get rid of them.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »
What struck me:

70% rent their home.
60% of the people in the town speak a foriegn language at home.
50% are below the poverty line.
50^ are hispanic.

WTF? Does this town have a no-ICE policy? Where is this town, south of El Paso?

Rhode Island?!?!
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:28:07 AM »

Most likely the Union has made it easier to fire all the teachers rather than to just fire the bad ones. 

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
Hannah Bell (1000+ posts)        Wed Feb-24-10 05:54 AM
i do think the super should cut her $140K salary in solidarity with the low-income students in her district, though. she only runs seven schools.

That would be a low-ball salary for a super in charge of seven schools in Bumfukistan Idaho, she must really love her work to be doing that in a certified blood-sucking Workers' and Peasants' Peoples' Democratic Paradise like Connecticut.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
That would be a low-ball salary for a super in charge of seven schools in Bumfukistan Idaho, she must really love her work to be doing that in a certified blood-sucking Workers' and Peasants' Peoples' Democratic Paradise like Connecticut.

Hence the reason we don't allow DUmmies - who have a demonstrated inability to hold down the simplest of "dead end" jobs - to set wage/salary ranges for the rest of us.  It's just one of a vast, bottomless ocean of subjects about which they are completely unequipped to differentiate excresence from shinola.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline jukin

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »
I love a story with a happy ending.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:12 AM »
The teachers are being allowed to re-apply for their jobs.  Those that are qualified will get to keep their jobs.  The unqualified ones shouldn't be teaching anyway.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »
Most likely the Union has made it easier to fire all the teachers rather than to just fire the bad ones. 

exactly and that is probably better news for the bad teachers than the good ones. Knowing unions.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 11:42:54 AM »
Not that it matters, but I think it's Rhode Island, just another one of that jumble of tiny Peoples' Republics up there in the northeast blue hellhole. I'm not sure why they are doing this. The chance they will hire anyone better than the deadheads they're firing is about zero. No one on earth can educate the swarm of illegals with dozens of languages that are dumped into the public school system. Previous generations were successful because they wanted to assimilate into America. the great melting pot. Now we glorify "diversity", which is the most deadly threat the country has ever faced. "Diversity" is far more threatening to our way of life than a bunch of islam ragheads ever will be.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
My bad, you're right.  It's the Connecticut Annex, not Connecticut itself.   :-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
The turnaround model requires a new principal, expanded learning time, staff screenings and teacher layoffs. Under the proposal, the district can rehire no more than 50 percent of those fired. The plan also calls for better use of instructional data, community-oriented services and support for students.

Sounds like they have to fire all, and then can rehire any good ones.  Avoids discrimination charges?
    - Charlton Heston

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
Sounds like they have to fire all, and then can rehire any good ones.  Avoids discrimination charges?

Thats it exactly - all have to go as per the Obama administration supported rules of School Restructuring under No Child Left Behind. IIRC the four options are federal takeover, conversion to a Charter School, longer school days, or fire them all. The union that represents the teachers said no to everything, and expected triple pay for the longer days ($90 an hour) over the typical $30, so the board went for the final option. Fire everybody from the principal down.

Which reminds me -The one point the primitives keep failing to make is that The Obama administration had to sign off on this action. When does Opeachment begin ?

Offline Duchess

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 06:57:29 PM »
Thats it exactly - all have to go as per the Obama administration supported rules of School Restructuring under No Child Left Behind. IIRC the four options are federal takeover, conversion to a Charter School, longer school days, or fire them all. The union that represents the teachers said no to everything, and expected triple pay for the longer days ($90 an hour) over the typical $30, so the board went for the final option. Fire everybody from the principal down.

Which reminds me -The one point the primitives keep failing to make is that The Obama administration had to sign off on this action. When does Opeachment begin ?

And they always choose to forget that Swimmer Kennedy was the other sponsor of NCLB.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »
And they always choose to forget that Swimmer Kennedy was the other sponsor of NCLB.

Other sponsor ? - more like it's author. Dead Ted had been trying to sell NCLB for about 30 years before GWB took the bait.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
But, since the fired teachers have to reapply, it gives the district the option of rehiring the good teachers.  I'll bet that it is easier to fire them all than to just pick out the bad ones and get rid of them.
It may have to do with tenure issues, also.  If they're fired and rehired, it usually makes them start all over on getting tenure.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 07:32:22 PM »
Other sponsor ? - more like it's author. Dead Ted had been trying to sell NCLB for about 30 years before GWB took the bait.

And they always conveniently forget that part. I loved GWB for many things, but his acquiescence to rats too often wasn't one of them.