Author Topic: DU: No Money for Christmas  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Re: DU: No Money for Christmas
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2009, 08:52:43 AM »

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 08:53:37 AM »
What's that?

A song made famous by the Beach Boy.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »
A song made famous by the Beach Boy.

Never heard of them.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 12:56:11 PM »
My company actually pushed open enrollment out to January.  It sounds like the employer and employee contributions have gone up and they are trying to negotiate better options.  Right now I have the same as you, low co-pays and no deductible.  I'm a little worried about what it might change to.

It's almost like a gamble. I can opt for a consumer driven plan with at $1000 deductable, then the company loads $500 into a health savings account, so if I just have a few office visits, my costs come out of that account...which is a good deal if you do not go to the doctor very often. But with my luck, just as soon as I pick that, I will start to have some type of health issue! We just found out Oct 1 what our options are, and the deadline is Saturday! I've done the math up, down, backwards, etc.... I'm still not 100% sure which one I am going to choose, I have 3 options, both options use two different providers...so there are now six choices!

It hurts my head.  :banghead:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2009, 01:12:20 PM »

It hurts my head.  :banghead:

I have a two inch thick stack of medical bills I've received since my little episode of heartburn.  This includes a sole bill from the hospital for $344,757.41.  The hospital bill came with a handy remittance stub and an envelope....which made me laugh.....but I'm getting off track here.

I am banging my head too.  The entire concept of insurance and co-pays and thirty-one different billing entities for one man in one hospital for one illness/surgery is mindboggling.  

It has taken me almost three months to get clearheaded and emotionally strong enough to attempt to deal with it all.  It is overwhelming.

I can handle it now.  Shoot, it's what I do (did).  But I KNOW it has to be a real problem for folks less equipped than I to tackle this incredible and complicated mess.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 01:15:04 PM by Lord Undies »

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »
I have a two inch thick stack of medical bills I've received since my little episode of heartburn.  This includes a sole bill from the hospital for $344,757.41.  The hospital bill came with a handy remittance stub and an envelope....which made me laugh.....but I'm getting off track here.

That is kind of funny.

Hang on there, let me get my wallet out.... thats uh.. $10,000.... $20,000...