Author Topic: Question  (Read 5167 times)

Offline cottondress

Question
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »
I have given IE8 several weeks...its awful!!  I'm thinking its full of bugs. Anyway...I downloaded the newest Foxfire and after several days trying it out I LOVE IT!...Now my question is...can i go and remove IE from my computer with out hurting anything...I can use the space. Thanks in advance :-)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »
I recall  time where IE was so embedded into the OS that it couldn't be removed. There are some sites that don't work and play well with Firefox. I would recommend stepping down to IE7 and only use it when absolutely necessary. I keep IE on my PC just because of that reason. I use Firefox almost entirely.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline cottondress

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 04:57:40 PM »
I recall  time where IE was so embedded into the OS that it couldn't be removed. There are some sites that don't work and play well with Firefox. I would recommend stepping down to IE7 and only use it when absolutely necessary. I keep IE on my PC just because of that reason. I use Firefox almost entirely.
Ahhhh...thats what I was afraid of...I did go back to 7 so Ill just leave well enough alone...thanks so much for the respond and advice :-*
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:24:03 PM »
Ahhhh...thats what I was afraid of...I did go back to 7 so Ill just leave well enough alone...thanks so much for the respond and advice :-*

Just make Firefox as your main browser. I NEVER use IE with one exception. To use my CAC card to upload files to AKO, Firefox won't work anymore. Don't know why, but if it has something to do with the idiots that made AKO, Army Knowledge Online, I'm not surprised. It's the most f'ed up website I've ever been on....and this one my job actually depends on.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 05:06:28 AM »
I use Google's Chrome as my main browser, but also use Firefox and IE8.  Of the three, I think Chrome has the best built-in pop-up blocker.

Offline cottondress

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 05:51:09 AM »
Just make Firefox as your main browser. I NEVER use IE with one exception. To use my CAC card to upload files to AKO, Firefox won't work anymore. Don't know why, but if it has something to do with the idiots that made AKO, Army Knowledge Online, I'm not surprised. It's the most f'ed up website I've ever been on....and this one my job actually depends on.

I did make it my main browser and so far have not had any problems...my puter is just so plumb full (about 8 yrs old) that I was hoping I could completely delete IE. Oh well...if it all crashes I guess I get a new one ... :-)
Ronald Reagan

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 06:02:05 AM »

I did make it my main browser and so far have not had any problems...my puter is just so plumb full (about 8 yrs old) that I was hoping I could completely delete IE. Oh well...if it all crashes I guess I get a new one ... :-)

Have you considered installing a second hard drive, and moving some files to it?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »
Do you delete your cookies and temporary internet files on a regular basis?? One friend had so many cookies and temp internet files that it took an hour to clear each of them. Yes, an HOUR!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »
Do you delete your cookies and temporary internet files on a regular basis?? One friend had so many cookies and temp internet files that it took an hour to clear each of them. Yes, an HOUR!!

Doesn't everyone have their browsers set up to do that when the browser is closed?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »
Doesn't everyone have their browsers set up to do that when the browser is closed?

Apparently NOT!!!  :rotf: There seems to be plenty of people out there that can use a PC, but few that actually have figured out how to maintain one.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
I use Google's Chrome as my main browser, but also use Firefox and IE8.  Of the three, I think Chrome has the best built-in pop-up blocker.

I don't care for Google Chrome for several reasons. 1.) Google keeps track of where you've been on the innerwebz. 2.) It's not compatible with many web site's architecture 3.) Personal preference.

Try doing a scan from Trend Micro or some such other site and you'll see. One site I went to with Chrome told me flat out that it wasn't compatible with my browser. Besides, I like all of the add ons available for Firefox.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »
I don't care for Google Chrome for several reasons. 1.) Google keeps track of where you've been on the innerwebz. 2.) It's not compatible with many web site's architecture 3.) Personal preference.

Try doing a scan from Trend Micro or some such other site and you'll see. One site I went to with Chrome told me flat out that it wasn't compatible with my browser. Besides, I like all of the add ons available for Firefox.

The add ons are nice in Firefox.  I like being able to download and convert youtube videos.

Offline cottondress

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »

Yes sir I do...every couple of days.I remember a few years back when someone else gave me that tip...yikes! Installing another hard drive...um...Id have to call in the Geeks...lol
Ronald Reagan

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 12:43:35 PM »
If you can read and plug in a toaster, you can certainly install another hard drive. Vista is a little more problematic than XP. There are plenty of good USB drives out there for pretty cheap.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »
I haven't had any problems installing hard drives with Vista.  I even have a PCI/ide card with 2 extra drive on it.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »
I haven't had any problems installing hard drives with Vista.  I even have a PCI/ide card with 2 extra drive on it.

I believe that Eupher had a little problem with that exercise. I haven't played enough with Vista to know for sure. (Eupher's not as dumb as he looks)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 12:56:55 PM »
I believe that Eupher had a little problem with that exercise. I haven't played enough with Vista to know for sure. (Eupher's not as dumb as he looks)

All I did was follow the directions included with the card and with the drives. I did have one problem adding a SATA drive, but that was because the channel was "off" in the BIOS.