Author Topic: Chocolate Cake recipe  (Read 14899 times)

Offline VivisMom

Chocolate Cake recipe
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »
I mentioned in another thread I had a very easy and very good chocolate cake recipe. Here it is!

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup milk
2/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup liquid shortening (vegetable oil)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
1 cup strong black coffee

Put all ingredients except coffee into mixing bowl and mix well. Add coffee and mix thoroughly. Batter will be very thin. Pour into well greased and floured pan and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

This is my favorite cake ever, I always asked my mom to make it for my birthday. Enjoy!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Chocolate Cake recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
Thank You!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
I'll stick with my tres leches.  Doesn't matter if it came from a box or not, it ends up delicious every time.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »
Thank You!

If you want some chocolate overkill, put homemade chocolate frosting on it. OMG, it's amazing.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
That sounds really good.  I may have to make this cake this afternoon!

Did your mom have a homemade chocolate frosting recipe that goes along with this cake? 
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
I mentioned in another thread I had a very easy and very good chocolate cake recipe. Here it is!

2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup milk
2/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup liquid shortening (vegetable oil)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
1 cup strong black coffee

Put all ingredients except coffee into mixing bowl and mix well. Add coffee and mix thoroughly. Batter will be very thin. Pour into well greased and floured pan and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

This is my favorite cake ever, I always asked my mom to make it for my birthday. Enjoy!

Now, this doesn't fall in line with Alton Brown's way of doing things. The wet ingredients get mixed first  and the dry ingredients get sifted together & mixed in another bowl. THEN, add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.......

just sayin'........
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »
Don't forget your paper plate.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 05:27:47 AM »
Don't forget your paper plate.

No, no, no........... it's, "don't forget your towel" !!  :-)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
Now, this doesn't fall in line with Alton Brown's way of doing things. The wet ingredients get mixed first  and the dry ingredients get sifted together & mixed in another bowl. THEN, add in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.......

just sayin'........

well, yeah, but since she's using liquid shortening or veg oil, there's no need to cream the shortening and sugar together (the real reason for distributing fats throughout the cake batter) if it's already liquid. Eggs are usually put in after the solid shortening/sugar creaming process for the same reason -- but also to keep from whipping excess air into the eggs, which would yield a different texture than you're usually looking for.

All that said, I'd be inclined to mix the flour and cocoa powder together along with the leavening agents before adding to the mixture, just because the cocoa and leavenings can clump up.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:21:30 AM »
Made this cake tonight. It turned out quite nice. The only thing that would have been nice to include would have been what size pan to use. We wound up using a 13" x 9"  glass dish, lowered the heat 25° and cooked for about 5 minutes longer. I chose I quick & easy frosting recipe from online. I didn't care for the frosting. (It was OK, at best) It wasn't as nearly as good as the cake.

Batter will be very thin.

Yes, it seemed to be

Pour into well greased and floured pan and bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »
This smells good.  I did omit the coffee since the person I'm making it for hates coffee.

I found a chocolate fudge recipe online to top it with.  Hope it turned out.  This is my first cake ever that's not from a box.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »
This smells good.  I did omit the coffee since the person I'm making it for hates coffee.

I found a chocolate fudge recipe online to top it with.  Hope it turned out.  This is my first cake ever that's not from a box.

I don't know what the coffee has to do with the taste, but I couldn't notice ANY coffee flavor. It just tasted like good chocolate cake to me. (And my coffee is Navy strong!!)

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »
I don't know what the coffee has to do with the taste, but I couldn't notice ANY coffee flavor. It just tasted like good chocolate cake to me. (And my coffee is Navy strong!!)

Hmm... I'll try it with the coffee next time.

It did turn out good.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 06:31:34 PM »
That sounds really good.  I may have to make this cake this afternoon!

Did your mom have a homemade chocolate frosting recipe that goes along with this cake? 

She actually used the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa package! It's really pretty good, much better than the canned crap.

Anyway, glad you all enjoyed the cake! It's probably the one thing that always reminds me of my mom.