Author Topic: Freeware  (Read 20667 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Freeware
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »
I found a free CD burner.  No more searching for old Nero disks...

http://infrarecorder.org/

Bit Torrent comes in handy... this is the client I've been using.

http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Re: Freeware
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »
http://download.cnet.com/windows/?tag=hdr;snav

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/

http://majorgeeks.com/

These sites are pretty good for getting Freeware that is safe to use.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
Hiren's Boot CD
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

One of the best diagnostic CDs I've found in a long time. :II:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:19:16 PM »
I noticed the newest version of Hiren's comes with Darik's Boot & Nuke. 

I have to say after using it today, Hiren's 10.6 disk is awesome.  There's an app on it that allows you to run it and bypass the password on a Windows box and a Linux app that allows you to clear a password on an account, which I ended up using today.  The virtual XP machine is neat, too.  Using it takes a fraction of the time waiting for someone else's machine to load does.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »
 FREE Great Programs for Windows 7
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
http://www.online-convert.com/

An online tool for converting file formats.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »
Hiren's Boot CD

Oh yeah. THIS I have to get.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 01:29:11 PM »
It doesn't work too well on Vista/Windows 7 computers.  You have to go in and run each program manually instead of being able to run it from the main menu, but it should work most of the time.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »
Another handy tool that is a necessity for most geeks is Belarc Advisor Usually it will find out the specifics of most computers, including license keys......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 07:56:34 AM »
Hiren's Boot CD

I burned an ISO of the version 13.1* the other day which popped two virus alerts on Norton.

I will capture the names an post it when I have time to mess with it again.  It did not alert on the zip file download, only on the DVD once I installed the ISO.  Could be a false positive but then, better safe than sorry.   

Downloaded from here:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
Probably false positives. Hirens is pretty good.

Another good free boot tool is SGD Boot Disk.

"This file contains both CD and floppy images. This boot disk can hide and unhide partitions, activate partitions, boot Windows or any other OS whether there is an MBR present or not, boot from a second drive, restore Windows boot (equivalent to fdisk /mbr or fixmbr), add or remove GRUB, restore LILO, live-swap drives and more."
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »
Probably false positives. Hirens is pretty good.

Another good free boot tool is SGD Boot Disk.

"This file contains both CD and floppy images. This boot disk can hide and unhide partitions, activate partitions, boot Windows or any other OS whether there is an MBR present or not, boot from a second drive, restore Windows boot (equivalent to fdisk /mbr or fixmbr), add or remove GRUB, restore LILO, live-swap drives and more."

Will give it a whizz when I get time. Thanks.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline namvet

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
here's what I have for CD burner. free ashampoo.

download here

http://download.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-Free/3000-2646_4-10776287.html

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »
Another good free cd/dvd burner is DeepBurner.

DeepBurner is a CD/DVD burning software that lets you create Data Cds, Bootable CDs, and Audio CDs as well as data DVDs. In addition, it lets you burn ISO files, create ISO images and more.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline oldcrow

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 01:04:40 PM »
Sometimes they have good stuff on this site...Giveawayoftheday.com . Check it out.

Give Away of the Day
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures. - Daniel Webster

The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.  - Benjamin Franklin

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
If you are looking for something to clean up you registry after an uninstall or maybe clean up temp files created by web browsers and whatnot.

http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000-18512_4-10315544.html

I looked at the piriform website and they describe it as trialware which is somewhat disheartening.

Anyway, I have been using it for about 6 months (the freeware version for 64bit vista). So far I like it.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »
I been using CCleaner for a couple of years (Since it was called Crap Cleaner). It was one of the main cleaning tools I used when working on other peoples systems. It is a great program, and free. I always get the slim version because it doesn't come with the toolbar.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
Okay, how about programs to extract movies from DVDs? My son wants me to send him some movies and I want to put them on memory sticks because I can get more in a box than sending a bunch of DVDs he doesn't really have room for. I don't want anything to complicated...just something I can insert the movie, open the program and rip it.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 09:56:59 PM »
Okay, how about programs to extract movies from DVDs? My son wants me to send him some movies and I want to put them on memory sticks because I can get more in a box than sending a bunch of DVDs he doesn't really have room for. I don't want anything to complicated...just something I can insert the movie, open the program and rip it.

Cindie

There used to be a free program called DVD Shrink that we used to used to rip a DVD then burn a new one.  It didn't work well with Vista or Win 7 though.   I think it could also be used to rip to a drive like you want to do.

Another place to check out is www.afterdawn.comhttp://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/dvd_ripping/bitripper.cfm#description
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:09:27 PM by thundley4 »

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »
There used to be a free program called DVD Shrink that we used to used to rip a DVD then burn a new one.  It didn't work well with Vista or Win 7 though.   I think it could also be used to rip to a drive like you want to do.

Another place to check out is www.afterdawn.comhttp://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/dvd_ripping/bitripper.cfm#description

Okay, I'll check. I have Win 7 but I'll check after dawn. Forgot about them.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 08:07:13 PM »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I've had good luck using Hiren's on stuff.  VLC, Ccleaner, Defraggler, the works, all good stuff.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »
You should be able to download Hiren's as a bootable ISO and load it onto a USB drive.  I keep at least one copy at work... it's indispensable.  It will still fit on a single CD unlike a lot of programs out there.

I would also recommend GParted for partition resizing.  I used it last week to resize a 40GB Windows XP partition down to 15 GB so I could install W8 on the same drive.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »
I tried to download 2 different programs for Home Inventory yesterday, and it took all afternoon to get the computer back to the condition it was in before I did that.

Neither would work, and one I had been using for about 4 years.

I still have a Paypal problem getting my money back from one of them that would not install, and the company is non-responsive.

I finally bought a program from Amazon.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town