Author Topic: As MediCaid Payments Shrink, Patients Abandoned (gov medicine)  (Read 2928 times)

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/health/policy/16medicaid.html

excerpt

FLINT, Mich. — Carol Y. Vliet’s cancer returned with a fury last summer, the tumors metastasizing to her brain, liver, kidneys and throat

As she began a punishing regimen of chemotherapy and radiation, Mrs. Vliet found a measure of comfort in her monthly appointments with her primary care physician, Dr. Saed J. Sahouri, who had been monitoring her health for nearly two years.

She was devastated, therefore, when Dr. Sahouri informed her a few months later that he could no longer see her because, like a growing number of doctors, he had stopped taking patients with Medicaid.

Dr. Sahouri said that his reimbursements from Medicaid were so low — often no more than $25 per office visit — that he was losing money every time a patient walked in his exam room.

The final insult, he said, came when Michigan cut those payments by 8 percent last year to help close a gaping budget shortfall.

“My office manager was telling me to do this for a long time, and I resisted,” Dr. Sahouri said. “But after a while you realize that we’re really losing money on seeing those patients, not even breaking even. We were starting to lose more and more money, month after month.”

excerpt

Offline thundley4

Re: As MediCaid Payments Shrink, Patients Abandoned (gov medicine)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 02:51:06 PM »
And it's because of this and the new healthcare law that emergency rooms will be flooded with even more patients.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:02:29 PM »
I had out patient surgery a couple months back. My Medicare statements thru a supplemental policy blew me away. The doctor billed $3,500 ....he got paid $660...Hospital bill was $13,800...$9,500 not covered...they got paid $3,500...Anesthesiology billed $1,100..Medicare paid them $245.

With Medicare paying between 15 to 20% of the billed amounts, I am scared shitless that doctors and hospitals will stop taking Medicare patients.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
With Medicare paying between 15 to 20% of the billed amounts, I am scared shitless that doctors and hospitals will stop taking Medicare patients.

It will get harder and harder to find a doctor I am sure.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:10:18 AM »
I work in a hospital...specifically in dialysis.  Medicare reimburses us for most of our patients...at 65% of our cost.  Read that again...they reimburse for just over half what it costs us to treat a patient.  That isn't half of the normal charge...it means that we must charge our few insurance patients...and I do mean FEW...a price inflated enough to pay for at least 45% of the cost of 85 - 90% of our treatments.   And dialysis is one area where Medicare reimbursement are actually pretty high...

But to round out the whole equation, Medicare's requirements are a major source of the high cost of care.  For example, my unit had done a quarterly sanitization of our water system for years...and never had either bad test results indicating bio-growth in the system, nor had found any growth when replacing sections of pipe during repairs.  Yet we were forced to begin monthly sanitizations thanks to Medicare...at a cost of $2000 a month.  This was not a requirement that was needed for patient safety or for any other reason, it was simply something Medicare decided to do because a few units nation-wide had growth problems.

In a like manner, my hospital has recently been notified that we must replace the units that sanitize all our scopes (endo, gastro, etc.)  Why?  Well, not because the older unit has ever had any problems, nor because the older unit has ever shown to be inadequate to sanitize...it is purely and simply because the FDA has ordered the manufacturer to stop supporting the older units because they have an updated unit receiving 510K clearance.  They had initially given the manufacturer 6 months to stop supporting the units, but have now given them an extra year... thanks to pressure from the American Hospital Association (which recognizes that the cost of the new unit could literally bankrupt smaller hospitals in today's economy).

This is what infuriates me the MOST about ObamaCare...the government points at the high cost of healthcare as a reason for the takeover, but the government is one of the main sources of high cost.   :thatsright: :thatsright:   Just as much as the high cost due to law suits, the government regulations and red tape...for drug companies, equipment manufacturers, and providers...add a huge amount of expense to every single bill.  Insurance companies are the only thing keeping our healthcare system intact at this time.   When Obamacare kills them, our entire system will go under.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:14:34 AM by MrsSmith »

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:25:56 AM »
It will get harder and harder to find a doctor I am sure.

Lately I have been experiencing the aging and sins of youth process and at one juncture was in a doctor's office during the contentious Obama care debates.  Said doctor made mention (of that fact) in an off hand manner the need for insurance reform.  I was in pain and in no mood to be toyed with so I immediately said " then you must love dealing with Medicare".  " I can't afford to take Medicare patients" came the reply. Guess I won't be seeing him when I am forced to go on Medicare ( isn't it mandatory??)

< watch this space for coming distractions >