Author Topic: “I Don’t Know What Liberal Means”  (Read 812 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
“I Don’t Know What Liberal Means”
« on: June 06, 2009, 12:45:02 AM »
In stating “No matter how liberal I am,” Sotomayor is describing herself as very liberal.  The clause is the semantic equivalent of “Even though I’m very liberal ….”  Among other things, Sotomayor understood back then that a liberal “sympathizes with the causes that [supposedly] lead these individuals to do these crimes” and is inclined to explain crimes as “the product of the environment and of poverty.”

But I think that I can offer Sotomayor even more help on what “liberal” means, at least in the context of judging. 

A liberal judge thinks that it’s proper to indulge her own identity in deciding cases.

A liberal judge celebrates “the importance of indefiniteness in the law” and the “unpredictability” that results when a judge “develops a novel approach” that “pushes the law in a new direction.”

A liberal judge resorts to shenanigans to bury the claims of white firefighters that they’ve been discriminated against on the basis of their race.

A liberal judge favors campaign-finance restrictions over the First Amendment.

A liberal judge embraces novel equal-protection theories that would compromise public safety.

A liberal judge publicly cheerleads liberal politicians.

A liberal judge excuses her own acts of discrimination.

A liberal judge thinks that Supreme Court justices are entitled to make policy.

A liberal judge hides her support for racial quotas behind gauzy euphemisms.

A liberal judge commends lawsuits that promote abortion and illegal immigration and that undermine welfare reform.

Hope these examples help.  Happy to flesh out more fully.
And Ed Whelan knocks another one out of the park.

National Review
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.